Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Jul 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #46 of 181
My advice, pass on the dt990 unless you have a good tube system to mellow out the highs. On topic, I really like my crossfade lp when I had it, but I returned it because a majority of people on this forum said better could be done with that money. They were right.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #47 of 181
My advice, pass on the dt990 unless you have a good tube system to mellow out the highs. On topic, I really like my crossfade lp when I had it, but I returned it because a majority of people on this forum said better could be done with that money. They were right.

So the ppl told you that $100 for the LP could have gone for a better headphone? what is it?

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #48 of 181
So the ppl told you that $100 for the LP could have gone for a better headphone? what is it?

Well when I bought them they were $200. For that cash you can do better, athm50, dt770, etc. For $100 I'd say the m-audio q40's are a good deal, m80's of course, and the ws77. Id pick these in that range as far as bass heavy Headphones are concerned

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #49 of 181
Quote:
Well when I bought them they were $200. For that cash you can do better, athm50, dt770, etc. For $100 I'd say the m-audio q40's are a good deal, m80's of course, and the ws77. Id pick these in that range as far as bass heavy Headphones are concerned

M80s are 130 dollars. OFC the extra 50 dollars is worth it :p 

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #51 of 181
Quote:
Something everyone should note before using these is that A: they require a very long burn in time using agressive full range music, and they really need a good headphone amp and FLAC files to really sound good.

Took those pics

People say too bassy. People say that the highs are resessed, and not detailed at all..they say it's muddy and sloppy, and has worse quality than the beats... This is all true until the burn in is complete, and then it becomes a lot better, until it has a headphone amp, then it becomes nothing short of amazing for the $130 I paid two years ago.

I probably have over 600 hours of burn in time so far, using dubstep connected to a random ipod playlist blasting while I wasn't using them. at one point, the ipod was blasting music into these cans for over a month straight, non stop. While that seems harsh to do, keep in mind that these headphones were designed for a headphone amp and this is nothing for them, also, I would change valume from 50-75 and full at different burn in sessions.

Then, when I moved, I lost my headphones for a few months, ended up just using my Sennheiser CX-6 (my Etymotic ERi 6 replacement because they broke), which always had better fidelity than my Crossfade LP, and I admit I only bought them for electronic music and home theater movie purposes for the bass.

I then found them in a box, and was delighted to brush the dust off of them and see the Kevlar cord still intact, but this time, I connected them to the headphone amp in my usb mic instead of just some crappy line out. I was absolutely amazed at what I was hearing out of these headphones. while the Yeti mic doesn't have the best headphone amp ever, it does push over 120db @ 1khz, with about 0.009% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), and has 15Hz-22Khz response, and 130mW rms output. pumped up all the way, they are louder than laptop speakers, 20% in windows is FAR TOO LOUD and any louder will damage your ears for sure.

but, I was hearing things, that I shouldnt have been hearing in these cans that have the most terrible reviews Iv'e ever seen, even my friend told me they really sucked after connecting them to his computer crappy sound card. I was hearing things like they sound in a studio (I've interned at Cue Studio where I used to live near DC, and know what a studio sounds like). I Was hearing detailed things that I could not usually hear out of such a cheap set of headphones, and have only heard from actual expensive speakers. They became more detailed than my M-audio BX5a studio monitors hooked up to my friend's $1,000+ musical fidelity CD player using the headphone amp and FLAC files. Call me dumb, but the fact I was hearing things like the pluck of the pick on every guitar string, and the[size=small] [/size]inconsistencies of the drumsticks hitting the symbols and snares was making me think that either I have a brain tumor, or these headphones are much better than people think, and possibly just need a really long burn in time, and a decent headphone amp to drive them. Dubstep FLAC files are really creeping my out now, because it no longer sounds like dubstep, as much as real midi synth sounds like I'm in the recording studio, and the instruments no longer sound like electronic music, sometimes they sound like real instruments, but I never bothered with dubstep FLAC until I actually noticed how good these sound now.

So yeah, either I'm dumb, or I don't know what good speakers sound like? I guess Iv'e never heard my home audio setup of my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD analogue surround sound to M-Audio Kevlar 5" Bi amplified 70w class AB, 1" silk dome studio monitors with a Velodyne ULD 18 (which is the PRIME DRIVER of it's model btw), 400 watt 18" class B servo amplified sub that pushes 104db @ 20Hz with 0.5% THD, and is flat down to 14Hz...or that I haven't heard high end systems from companies like Focal, JM Lab, ATC, Gallo, Mcintosh, Quad, Theil, Celestian, Velodyne, Marrantz, and others..

My studio monitors might be garbage for you guys... but I can at least say Iv'e heard high end systems. The only audiophile headphones I've heard so far are the Sennheiser CX6 and Etymotic ER6, because I don't count the garbage BOSE quiet comfort 3 I had, or the garbage Dr Dre $300 "swagphones" but these as of now blow every set of headphones Iv'e heard so far out of the water, including my old Etymotic ERi6.

The point is... I might agree with some of the bad reviews for these headphones..if I hadn't experienced them the way I did. You guys just gonna troll me like no other, or believe some truth to it, and possibly try burning them in way harder like I did? 

One thing I will say is while some people say the highs are recessed and others say bright, I say they sound more like the silk domes on my monitors but just a tad softer, but EVERYTHING is there, and detailed. they are not bassy at all on my headphone amp, but all the bass is there, and if I EQ them for bass and pump it up, one time, I went half deaf for an entire day. My headphone amp has no EQ the way I listen to it. people need to stop listening to garbage DSP and DAC's driving these headphones before they say how bad they are, and give them time to burn in..an Iphone is NOT a good sound source.

I predict epic amounts of flaming incoming. lol.

Bro, I second every word you said. I have not seen any headphone change so much on a burn out. and strange thing is, the more you burn them out they just keep getting better. I came to a point (after like 500+ hrs of constant burn out with mid range centric music on high volumes ~ 105+ Dbs). i think the kind of music starts hard wiring it into its driver's sound signature. I cannot off course confirm that technically but through my experience and perception i see that when initially i was only burning them with dance / hip hop they were off course opening up, but later when i started loud country / rock / alternative / even classic with them i saw that mid range opened up like, its crazy! They are almost at 700th hr of playing; sounding almost like a barely good enough open back. off course not to compare to my HD 650 and Fidelio X1, but its impressive how much they opened up now.
Thus to conlcude considering:
1. Awesome built quality
2. Awesome accessories and carry case.
3. style and insane customizability.
4. pretty open sound stage for a closed back. (after burn out)
5. extremely awesome (and surprisingly) passive seal, even in extreme places like gym with a crossfit / zumba next to you at loudest level. you almost dont get bothered by the world around.
6. you can almost start switching to your rock or country for a change even in configurations like gym, before burn out i was strictly R&B, dance, dubstep, gym music-ing them and dare not to
7. Got me self a cool sumerian symbol sketched by me own two hands, a proud feel to see it on your head phones. Good to see that make hot babes turn their head and see my cans! gonna use that to approach and talk to one, if you know what i mean :p :p
8. Super duper bass responsive off course, the most important and assumed thing off these cans. more important its not just a booming bass, its really deep, like if there is a resonation going at three different bass harmonics, these would easily resolve and present it to you. Yes thats the kind of bass i am talking about. Audiophiles who just get sarcastic over the bass card being played by so many headphones with "yaa. whatever, we know what bass do bass-head phones deliver??", its not the case with these. if you really want to experience a revelation of what bass can do to you, listen to V-modas. it can turn a traditionaly bass hating person like me start loving bass! now thats profound!
9. Most important of all, off course cause non of us are warren buffet here! ALL THIS AT A PRICE TAG OF 105 $$$ ON AMAZON CURRENTLY!
10. I can safely say these are better OVERALL value for buck even more then my Px-100, and mind you it has taken me more than 6 yrs to make this statement finally

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #52 of 181
Bro, I second every word you said. I have not seen any headphone change so much on a burn out. and strange thing is, the more you burn them out they just keep getting better. I came to a point (after like 500+ hrs of constant burn out with mid range centric music on high volumes ~ 105+ Dbs). i think the kind of music starts hard wiring it into its driver's sound signature. I cannot off course confirm that technically but through my experience and perception i see that when initially i was only burning them with dance / hip hop they were off course opening up, but later when i started loud country / rock / alternative / even classic with them i saw that mid range opened up like, its crazy! They are almost at 700th hr of playing; sounding almost like a barely good enough open back. off course not to compare to my HD 650 and Fidelio X1, but its impressive how much they opened up now.
Thus to conlcude considering:
1. Awesome built quality
2. Awesome accessories and carry case.
3. style and insane customizability.
4. pretty open sound stage for a closed back. (after burn out)
5. extremely awesome (and surprisingly) passive seal, even in extreme places like gym with a crossfit / zumba next to you at loudest level. you almost dont get bothered by the world around.
6. you can almost start switching to your rock or country for a change even in configurations like gym, before burn out i was strictly R&B, dance, dubstep, gym music-ing them and dare not to
7. Got me self a cool sumerian symbol sketched by me own two hands, a proud feel to see it on your head phones. Good to see that make hot babes turn their head and see my cans! gonna use that to approach and talk to one, if you know what i mean :p :p
8. Super duper bass responsive off course, the most important and assumed thing off these cans. more important its not just a booming bass, its really deep, like if there is a resonation going at three different bass harmonics, these would easily resolve and present it to you. Yes thats the kind of bass i am talking about. Audiophiles who just get sarcastic over the bass card being played by so many headphones with "yaa. whatever, we know what bass do bass-head phones deliver??", its not the case with these. if you really want to experience a revelation of what bass can do to you, listen to V-modas. it can turn a traditionaly bass hating person like me start loving bass! now thats profound!
9. Most important of all, off course cause non of us are warren buffet here! ALL THIS AT A PRICE TAG OF 105 $$$ ON AMAZON CURRENTLY!
10. I can safely say these are better OVERALL value for buck even more then my Px-100, and mind you it has taken me more than 6 yrs to make this statement finally

Are you 100% sure that these Vmoda LP will sound totally different after burning them out?

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #53 of 181
Quote:
Are you 100% sure that these Vmoda LP will sound totally different after burning them out?

they will sound as good as a closed back headphone can open up. off course you can still not compare them to AKG 550, probably the most open sounding closed headphones with most open sound stage. but again, 550 dont have even have the chest thumping bass as crossfades. So its a trade off. 
But yes they do surprise. its so apparent even a lay men if made to hear same song on hour 1 versus hour 500 will see the difference. Whether is that good enough is a combination of what headphones you have heard before and what music you listen to.
I would never go as far as listening to cold play or classic or very open or heavy mid centric music still. but yes i did played judas priest / Ac / Dc after burn out which i didnt before.  remember it is still:
1. A closed back headphone
2. A traditional U curve sound signature headphone.

But i can assure the mids would not be muffled and chopped like firs time virgin listen, they would just be laid back.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #54 of 181
LPs, aren't U-shape signature, it's "\"-shape (downwards hill shape). LP2 that I've had tested for around a week or so also had \-shape response, when boosting the highs +3.5dB @ 8kHz and +5.5dB at 16kHz it sounded quite in-line with the mids though.

Frequency response isn't about how "clear" certain range sounds but how LOUD it is, in fact "muddy" sound tends to be mids are more forward than highs and U-shape is "clearer" sounding in comparison but the mids sound "distant" / not so in-your-face and I think LP2 had pretty forward sounding mids, just not with the ideal clarity (unless boosting highs). I see this way too often confused on head-fi that people can't interpret frequency responses correctly and call a lot of headphones V or U-shape (since vocals sound warm/smooth or "muddy") when that is in fact mids being more forward than the highs.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #56 of 181
I have a question. If I wire these headphones to a FiiO E6 and listen to music using an iPhone 4S by a LOD, will the buttons and the mic on the cord work with my phone? (Sorry for my english)

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #57 of 181
I happened to run by your review of the LPs... and you´re right!!!  Based on your review, I bought a pair at a discount form a local dealer, who seemed very happy to let them go at a low price.

I went beyond your suggested 600 hours (more like about 1000).  Just to be sure, I had my wife, as well, listen to the sound as we went through the burn-in process.

The sounded not so good at first, and that went on for a while... but then at about 300+ hours we began to hear a difference.  They just got better and better.

Went back and got another for my wife.

I´m now the happy owner two sets of the cheapest great sounding headphones I´ve ever got.

Thank you for taking the time to do what you did.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #58 of 181
Vmodas are amazing headphones. As a dj/producer and a HEAVY music listener I use headphones for hours and hours a day and these are comfortable, reliable, have nice weight, and have incredible sound quality. I honestly hate beats by Dre and these blow them out of the water. Build quality, sound, cable, drivers, everything is 2x beats by dre. I love these and they are one of my favorite headphones. They also have insane noise isolating and I ususaly don't like noise cancelling because it cal emit static/white noise or high pitched noises. These pads are not only super soft, durable and replaceable... But they also block out a bunch of noise! I haven't tried the audio technical ATH m50 but I heard that they are better and worse from some people. Anyone know what headphones are better for edm, dubstep, trance, rave etc. Vmodas specialize in edm music and that is why they are so often times used by professional producers and DJ's for most other genres they are great... But there are better choices but for edm, these are the go to headphones. Hope I helped or informed!

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #59 of 181
Got a pair of this for 60euro, overall is good, like everybody said the bass is too much, need more mid range on it, but it was designed for electric/hiphop, so can't complain about it

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #60 of 181
  Got a pair of this for 60euro, overall is good, like everybody said the bass is too much, need more mid range on it, but it was designed for electric/hiphop, so can't complain about it

Actually I think the highs are missing, mids are decently there but unclear due to too rolled off highs giving a too smooth sound. Boost the 5 ~ 16kHz range for this headphone to get a lot more clearer mids.

It's a bit contradictory but pushing mids more forward just gives you a more warm sound, it needs to be unwarmified by a highs-boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back