Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #4,756 of 5,715
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #4,757 of 5,715
Hi friends,

I am hijacking this morning as the discussion turned to putting on tips on the EXT :)

We found a short, not-fancy-at-all video that shows how we put on our tips. This may not work for every kind of tip out there but might give you a basic idea:

Keep enjoying the EXT's and Phönix's! I will come back later today for a little update and a behind the scenes :tv:

Jonas

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #4,758 of 5,715
Listening to the Vision Ears EXT and Purity Ring “Fineshrine”

Wow. These EXT are made for music like this:
DARKSIDE
Purity Ring
100 gecs
Grimes
probably any glitch pop, EDM

I am curious to find other music that these will work with. It’s is going to be a journey.

Listening to Crosby Stills & Nash and this is good as well. Brings up the older recording and fleshes it out a bit more. You can follow that bass line no problem.

Big Thief sounds great, again percussion and the bass line are not in the background.

So maybe more versatile than I first thought…
I too consider EXT more of an all-rounder compared to Phönix. It has real bass, for one thing, which makes it more suited to the types of EDM and modern indie pop that aren't so hot with Phönix.
back to the Phönix.

Hmm… missing the EXT for vocals. The richness. The Phönix is no slouch, I just was enjoying the vocals on the EXT.

Instruments sound more correct with the Phönix. More fine, delicate details with the Phönix. Really good texture on strings. Guitars sound like guitars and you can hear how the strings were played.
Curious what you prefer about EXT vocals. I go back and forth between Phönix's warmer romanticism and EXT's more 'correct' DD mids vocal timbre. Vocals are truly excellent on both, though, so it's really picking between preferences/styles for me. I agree Phönix makes strings and other instruments sound more 'correct'; the only instrument I don't really 'feel' with Phönix is drums. Texture is great but the physicality is absent. Purely a driver limitation I would think.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #4,759 of 5,715
Curious what you prefer about EXT vocals. I go back and forth between Phönix's warmer romanticism and EXT's more 'correct' DD mids vocal timbre.

Yes. Exactly that. I agree. The EXT is less detailed and resolving but more “correct.” Definitely a driver preference I have no hesitation admitting that.

Listening to one of my favourite albums of all time: Twin Shadow “Forget.”

Oh lord! This sounds so good.

Just sent an email to VE about pricing out a EXT, it would be a stretch for me, however the EXT sounds good with my Sony NW-ZX507 surprisingly it seems to have enough power. I have been saving for some time, after selling my LP collection and speaker system I owe it to myself.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #4,760 of 5,715
Now I think I just need to take a moment and recognize how beautiful both these IEMs are.

The Phönix is subtle. My understanding is that this case was carved from a single block of carbon fiber and then polished. It’s so beautiful and you could look at it for hours how it reflects light and shimmers. It’s subtle but when you take a moment to look it is stunning. I have never seen anything like it. The faceplate is beautiful as well, but it is easy to take for granted and shove them in your ears. We’re here to listen aren’t we? The red chrome and gold accents are simple but again when you take a closer look you can appreciate how detailed and perfect the craftsmanship is.

The EXT as well. Just stunning. A lot more of what you see is what you get but again flawless craftsmanship and they are so beautiful.

Photos do not do either of these IEMs justice.

Just listening to the Phönix now. So open, such an expansive sound stage. If you close your eyes you are in the music hall.

Oh, and comfort… wow. Both the EXT and the Phönix just fit the first try. I am finding success with Spinfits CP155 Wide with the EXT and Azla Crystal with the Phönix. I can wear them both for extended periods of time. The Phönix is as light as a feather.

I like how the EXT locks in. The comparison to a custom fit was made by someone before and it is very snug and comfortable. YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #4,761 of 5,715
I have the VE8 and they are to date my favourite IEM. I wondered if someone can briefly provide a comparison with the Ext?

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,762 of 5,715
I have the VE8 and they are to date my favourite IEM. I wondered if someone can briefly provide a comparison with the Ext?
Ahh man they are quite different, the VE8 has a more conventional tuning and is more rolled off in the treble. The EXT has much more treble extension and presence and much more sub bass quantity. The quality of the bass is also a step up IMO due to the DD and just overall its just a great bass response on the EXT, some of the best I've heard. Saying that, the VE8's mid bass was very satisfying to me and I found it to be the best BA bass that I've heard. The vocal presentation is also quite different with VE8 pushing vocals forward more and imaging them larger, EXT conversely pulls vocals back a little but they are more textured and weighty. VE8 is also slightly warmer overall from memory and EXT has slightly higher resolution. They are quite different and I wouldn't say that EXT is a successor to the VE8... I guess that title would go to the Erlk/Phonix.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #4,763 of 5,715
Hello dear friends,

As promised yesterday, here we go again :)

Although a little late, we wish you all a happy new year!

While there is always good reason to come to this thread and we definitely read all that is written here, we rarely find the time to actively participate. However, there are two good reasons to say hello today :)

1. Some of already had contact with me in the last two months, but I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the new member of the VE-family:
    Jonas, 31 years young and with a background in the IEM-industry for more than half of my life. Having mostly worked with musicians in the past, the whole hi-fi world is an exciting new adventure for me. As part of the front office, I will take care of customer and reseller relations, attend shows that Marcel and Amin cannot find the time for, organize demo’s and much more. Also I will try to be a little more active in this thread and take care of any questions that you guys can’t figure out yourselves (that won’t leave me too much to do, I’m afraid :wink: )
  2. For those that do not follow us on our social media, we have a new behind-the-scenes video that we proudly want to share with you. Meet our founders Amin and Marcel and take a look into our lab!

Also, I want to express our heartfelt thanks for the awesome reviews of our new babies Phönix and EXT. We are overwhelmed by your positive feedback, and the production crew is doing their best with keeping up with the orders!

Nice to meet you all, I am looking forward to a lot of fun on head-fi!

Jonas

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #4,764 of 5,715
Hi friends,

I am hijacking this morning as the discussion turned to putting on tips on the EXT :)

We found a short, not-fancy-at-all video that shows how we put on our tips. This may not work for every kind of tip out there but might give you a basic idea:

Keep enjoying the EXT's and Phönix's! I will come back later today for a little update and a behind the scenes :tv:

Jonas

Hi,

May I know when will the next batch of Phönix arrive in HK . I have ordered mine through local dealer more than a month already :triportsad:

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #4,765 of 5,715
Hi,

May I know when will the next batch of Phönix arrive in HK . I have ordered mine through local dealer more than a month already :triportsad:
Hi @hke3g2006,

Trust me that we are doing our utmost to keep on track with all orders. But we have been more than a little overwhelmed.
I am sorry for everyone that has to wait, and read these rave reviews at the same time. This is frustrating, I totally understand.

However, we can not give you a precise answer, as we do not know how your dealer distributes what they are receiving from us. So please go through them to get a more detailed response.

Thank you for your understanding, I promise it will be worth the wait!

Have a nice weekend :)

Jonas

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #4,767 of 5,715
VE_EXT3.jpg

Hey guys,

it's been around 3 weeks and 200 listening hours later since i received my EXT. I was looking for some new uiems especially for electronic music.

Last week i demoed the Legend Evo for 3 days and a/b-ed both as i was quite interested how Empire's black beauty would stand up to the EXT. I have to admit i liked them a lot and they looked beautiful as well. Awsome build quality. But against the EXT's the Evo's simply lacked soul. The EXT's sound wonderfully wellbalanced and soulful.
While Evo's fascinating bass wowed me from the first listen the EXTs always managed to stay much longer in my ears because every track i was throwing at them sounded just perfect. Where the EXTs definitely won the cake were the vocals of nearly all tracks. No matter if male or female. Vocals for me with the EXTs nearly sound like Ely's vocals. While Ely in this discipline still holds the pole position the EXTs are just 1 little step behind but with sweeter treble and a bass quality i never heard before. Unbelievable. I really can't believe they sound as full, space-filling and authentic as my beloved Stellias. No, they sound even better. Everything i hear sounds as i want it to hear....

....so for me first time 10/10.

After excessive tipp-rolling (with the EXTs somewhat a painful procedure) i ended up with the Crystals as i get perfect seal with them and they definitly sound most balanced.

So it only remains for me to say : thanks Amin and your team @Vision Ears for this outstanding purple beauty and the great conversation before i pulled the trigger ------> Why seek far afield when the good is close by ? :)

Cheers folks,
Mario

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #4,768 of 5,715
VE_EXT3.jpg

Hey guys,

it's been around 3 weeks and 200 listening hours later since i received my EXT. I was looking for some new uiems especially for electronic music.

Last week i demoed the Legend Evo for 3 days and a/b-ed both as i was quite interested how Empire's black beauty would stand up to the EXT. I have to admit i liked them a lot and they looked beautiful as well. Awsome build quality. But against the EXT's the Evo's simply lacked soul. The EXT's sound wonderfully wellbalanced and soulful.
While Evo's fascinating bass wowed me from the first listen the EXTs always managed to stay much longer in my ears because every track i was throwing at them sounded just perfect. Where the EXTs definitely won the cake were the vocals of nearly all tracks. No matter if male or female. Vocals for me with the EXTs nearly sound like Ely's vocals. While Ely in this discipline still holds the pole position the EXTs are just 1 little step behind but with sweeter treble and a bass quality i never heard before. Unbelievable. I really can't believe they sound as full, space-filling and authentic as my beloved Stellias. No, they sound even better. Everything i hear sounds as i want it to hear....

....so for me first time 10/10.

After excessive tipp-rolling (with the EXTs somewhat a painful procedure) i ended up with the Crystals as i get perfect seal with them and they definitly sound most balanced.

So it only remains for me to say : thanks Amin and your team @Vision Ears for this outstanding purple beauty and the great conversation before i pulled the trigger ------> Why seek far afield when the good is close by ? :)

Cheers folks,
Mario
What cable do you have on your EXT in that photo?

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4,769 of 5,715
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #4,770 of 5,715
What cable do you have on your EXT in that photo?

Hey Tristy,

it's still the Iliad. I simply love Iliads sound with the EXT when listening to electronic music as it's extremely musical and beautifully clear with great bass. Lovely combo for this genre. With rock and classics Iliads treble for my taste sometimes gets to harsh though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back