Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #4,786 of 5,717
I think the phrase you used there is perfect: “Least constrained.” It’s one thing to have a large stage, but it’s another achievement completely to have instruments feel free and open within that stage.

So when I meditate one of the practices I will do is to push the limits of consciousness but continually listen and hear further out. The Phönix creates that space for me.

Now that I wrote the above an even better way for me to describe this is Phönix sounds like I am listening to music full stop. There is no IEM they disappear. It’s as if I am listening to music alone in a concert hall.

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #4,787 of 5,717
Cable rolling weekend - EXT + Electech Project 8 Plato x Socrates

IMG_3965.jpeg

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,788 of 5,717
Feb 5, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #4,789 of 5,717
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #4,790 of 5,717
I gave a previous impression briefly compared the ext to the LX but im not gonna lie when I say that they are more similar than they are different. LX has that wubby bass which is the most apparent difference. The upper mids are more forward but slightly grainy compared to the EXT but I definitely wouldn't say they're grainy. Highs on EXT sound much fuller only because the frequency response past 5k has more sustain compared to the small spike with LX. Honestly when you look at the graph what you see is what you get.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #4,791 of 5,717
Someone in the "Get Hyped for Vision Ears" thread that MusicTeck started when Phonix and EXT were released posted the question whether or not the Phonix bass was the Erlkonig setting number 2 or not. Here is my response to him. I have included it hear since this thread is more active than that one:

Yes the bass BA is similar to setting 2. But the final sound is different as explained below by Marcel and Oliver from the "Bob" interview in my review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-phönix-iem.25667/reviews#review-27762

I copied two questions below from the interview that have to do with bass. One of the questions made the final cut for the review and the other was left off since it was a more specific Erlkonig question that Bob had the nerve to ask after numerous Kölsch beers while hanging out with Marcel and Oliver in Köln.

Bob: I am still very interested in the Phonix bass. You have stated that the Phonix bass is based off the Erlkonig bass on setting number 2. The bass of the Phonix is more impactful and shares sub and mid bass duties well. The Erlkonig bass on 2 has more of a mid bass slant. Is this difference due to a bigger stage on the Phonix?

VE: The bass drivers are exactly the same as with the EK and only a small change was made on the crossover to improve the performance. Because as soon as you improve the highs due to a new driver, the old balance is lost, so you need to adjust the other parts to get back everything into balance.

Bob: This is a sidenote question that has nothing to do with Phonix. Was the Erlkonig tuned on number 2 or number 3? And then after it was tuned on one of those were the other numbers/frequency bumps added for variety of sound? Or did you go into the Erlkonig project with 4 distinct sounds in mind?

VE: I cannot tell exactly because the development process of the ERLKöNIG was a big journey and the first prototypes were adjusted again and again. Sometimes because we thought its necessary to adjust something and sometimes we had to change something due to the shell or other reasons that force you to find a compromise. The first prototype had only one tuning and I think it was close to tuning no. 2 because from our taste, this is a good and still powerful balance. The idea of using a switch was quite early in the developing process and we had these distinctive sounds in mind already as an idea. So, yes, position no.2 was the bass sound from which we developed the the other sound signatures.
I'm listening to the Erlkonig tonight, setting 2, and I'm greatly enjoying them. These are legendary for a reason... 😊
Listening to some Richard Elliott. The bass is nice, indeed more mid than sub, but I don't feel the latter is lacking.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #4,794 of 5,717
I gave a previous impression briefly compared the ext to the LX but im not gonna lie when I say that they are more similar than they are different. LX has that wubby bass which is the most apparent difference. The upper mids are more forward but slightly grainy compared to the EXT but I definitely wouldn't say they're grainy. Highs on EXT sound much fuller only because the frequency response past 5k has more sustain compared to the small spike with LX. Honestly when you look at the graph what you see is what you get.

I agree mostly with this. I think this is the direction EE should have went with the EVO. I am audition the EXT and really enjoying it. All of the VE line has that 8k peek and i was worried about the EXT even though its closer to 6300 and a few dB lower at 8k. This thing is smooth.

My comparison between the LX vs EXT

Treble:
EXT with that upper extension + estats - hi hats just cut through and the estats bring more of the cymbal details to the forefront. For instance, when striking closed hi-hats you will get a 'tss' with the cymbals rubbing against each other. Most Iems can portray this but estats really bring out every nuance. I love stick articulations (im a drummer). I'm also hearing new things i havent heard before on some tracks such as Living Colour's - Bi. At around 50 seconds i think either the drummer hits a small chinese or a stack of some sort. Im sure if i go back and listen id hear this on the LX. I've never heard Dream Theater's - 6:00 opening hi-hat work from Mike Portnoy sound so distinguishable. Im sorry but whoever said the EXT does not have upper tier detailing...sorely mistaken.
LX has very good retrieval but the dips hurt it and i understand this isnt its strength but its still good in this area.

Mids:
EXT probably has the best mids in the game, imo. Snare cracks sound so delightful and the micro details are a notch above the LX.
EXT sounds wider
LX is more forward but sounds congested or veiled as ive seen thrown around.

Bass:
LX has so much abundance but it does seem not have nearly as good detail retrieval vs the EXT. I heard a different bassline in HedPe - Crazy Legs.
LX has better weight on kick drums.
EXT if it had a scooch (yes i used it) more it would be perfect. Of course, EQ can be used.

Other Thoughts:
LX ive always had some discomfort with louder sessions and ive seen people say the LX is peaky and i do agree there. The EXT is so smooth and yet detailed.
I want an EXT.

IF anyone wants an EVO i would trade for an EXT. Maybe we can discuss trade scenarios.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/empire-ears-legend-evo-mint-will-be-at-canjam-nyc-too.18229/

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #4,795 of 5,717
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #4,797 of 5,717
Hi all! Struggling a bit with the fit of the EXT. I really enjoy the sound through the SpinFit CP500’s but would like to try something else that might be more comfortable for me. Any suggestions?
Try Spiral Dots, the only tips I got an acceptably comfortable fit with. Also, how are you inserting them? They need to be inserted with a counter-clockwise corkscrew motion as you gently push them in. Sounds more difficult than it is.

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #4,799 of 5,717
Try Spiral Dots, the only tips I got an acceptably comfortable fit with. Also, how are you inserting them? They need to be inserted with a counter-clockwise corkscrew motion as you gently push them in. Sounds more difficult than it is.
Thanks! Will give Spiral Dots a try. I’m inserting them in a counter-clockwise motion. Appreciate the quick reply.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #4,800 of 5,717
phhhe.jpg

Ok, I just got the Canadian VE tour kit. Physically the Phönix sports perfect workmanship and elegant design. Sonically, it has a wonderful mid-range, dimensional spatial representation, precise bass reproduction and excellent resolution delivered in a smooth manner.

For many audiophiles, the word high-resolution means a sharp-edged presentation that etches into your brain, often revealing the music in a sharp and strident manner, with a forward presentation. IEMs that have a softer presentation are referred to as warm, laid back or rounded.

But visualize combining that level of detail, revealing the max. amount of musical information in a way that is not the least bit harsh or grating, with a range of tonal scale that feels like a continuous gradation, that’s the wizardry that the @Vision Ears Phönix presents.

The detail retrieval experienced with the Phönix is not so much in an ultimate sense, but in the tiny nuances adding up to the larger picture. Sounds fade from max. to min. in an incredibly linear fashion, and expand from quiet to loud in the same way. This is basically the last bit of realism for me.

This dense and musical sound combined with clean and uncluttered presentation carries over to the rest of the frequency range, the smooth upper mids to lower treble integration making the highs super agile, unambiguous and authoritative. The Bass while not reaches subterranean levels like some of the flagship DDs, absolutely demonstrates precise reproduction and great resolution for BA driven monitor.

More impressions to come later this week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back