Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 16, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #4,801 of 5,717
Can I pls ask if anyone has tried Aeneid with EXT? Pls share your impressions. Thank you 🙏🏻

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4,802 of 5,717
Can I pls ask if anyone has tried Aeneid with EXT? Pls share your impressions. Thank you 🙏🏻
I have heard of someone's impressions and they were good.

"tighter, brighter with more more energy, revealing, micro-detailed, a bit more holographic."

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #4,804 of 5,717

I wrote about that pairing (w/ the Iliad and Socrates too) down here:
My man, I've finally got your cable comparisons written down! :sweat_smile: 'So, so sorry again for how late these are, but here we go:

Going from the stock cable to the Socrates, the most prevalent changes occur in the mids and treble. The cable takes away some centre-mid heft (or weight), which lets the upper-mids shine through more. Guitars have more presence to them, horns are livelier and brassier, and they're a bit lighter (or less dense) too. The midrange is also better-resolved as a whole, with instruments sounding more complete. Up high, the Socrates cuts back a tad on mid-treble bite to inject some air into its upper-treble. Hi-hats and cymbals seemingly take a small step back, but they're also airier and more open-sounding. The initial crash or tick isn't as in-your-face, but that sizzle as they fade away (the shhhh or tail of the cymbal, as I like to call it) is better-resolved; they won't taper or roll off as wishy-washy-ly as they will on the stock cable. Decay itself is cleaner too on the Socrates, which results in an overall tidier, more clear-cut image. Spatially, because the mid-treble isn't as forward, you get a more evenly spherical stage. Whereas, I felt the stock cable gave the EXT a bit more width than depth. And, a tiny change to the bass is that it won't be as wide in terms of surface area, but its punch is more concentrated.

Tonally, the Aeneid is a bit more like the stock cable than the Socrates. It maintains the stock cable's larger note size, compared to the Socrates's tighter images. And, the mids and highs are more similar to the default cable's as well. The centre-mids and mid-treble are even, and the upper-mids sit just behind. The treble here also has the bite and edge that it had with the stock cable. But, it's counteracted nicely by a bit more warmth in the mid-bass. The bass I think undergoes the biggest change with the Aeneid. It's the most-open (or least-compressed) it's ever been, which results in freer, more guttural-sounding hits without disturbing the stability of the image. I can't explain it much better than it feels like it's had a compressor taken off it. The midrange isn't tonally far off of the stock cable's, but I feel like it's gotten a notable upgrade in resolution and in depth. It's better-rounded and formed here, and it's made the midrange on the stock cable seem a bit two-dimensional and hollow by comparison. And, in terms of imaging, stereo separation and, especially, stage height, the Aeneid is the strongest of the three.

So, in conclusion, I'd say the Socrates makes the most tonal changes. I actually prefer its lighter, more delicate, yet airier treble the most of the three. It's also superb if you wanna tilt the balance of the midrange more towards the upper-mids. The Aeneid isn't far off the stock cable in terms of overall balance, but it maximises the in-ear's technical performance by a good margin. The bass, especially, is at its freest and best here. And, I find imaging stronger on either Eletech cable; spherical evenness on the Socrates and sheer size on the Aeneid. The only scenarios where the default cable is stronger would be in stage height and bass spread vs. the Socrates, and if you think the tonal balance on the stock cable is perfect already.

'Hope this helps, my friend! :)

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #4,805 of 5,717
I wrote about that pairing (w/ the Iliad and Socrates too) down here:
Thank you so much, my apologies if I had asked this question before 🤓

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #4,806 of 5,717
I actually prefer Iliad to Aeneid on EXT. I found Iliad to have a greater impact to the sound than Aeneid. I like how Iliad adds a touch of clarity to the upper mids and treble, and I found it to sound a little more dynamic. Aeneid on the other hand sounds a little softer and more laidback, but still very natural and clear. Both of them are great though. Can’t really go wrong with either :)

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #4,807 of 5,717
I actually prefer Iliad to Aeneid on EXT. I found Iliad to have a greater impact to the sound than Aeneid. I like how Iliad adds a touch of clarity to the upper mids and treble, and I found it to sound a little more dynamic. Aeneid on the other hand sounds a little softer and more laidback, but still very natural and clear. Both of them are great though. Can’t really go wrong with either :)
I have had both with the EXT as well. In very short terms, Iliad is better for vocals and musicality, Aeneid is better for soundstage and staging.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #4,808 of 5,717
I’m v happy with FT and EXT but the cable ergonomics is really 😑… I’m toying with the idea of getting something similar. Don’t have much time to arrange for demo sessions in shops due to family issues. Doesn’t help that stress is just making me want to buy stuff rofl…

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #4,809 of 5,717
Ladies and gents, if you have an hour or three to spare, please point your browsers to my full and final VE EXT Review.

EXT_03.jpg

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #4,810 of 5,717
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #4,811 of 5,717
Double purple pleasures, EXT + Eletech Aeneid

IMG_4113.jpeg

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,813 of 5,717
How is the M17 pairing?
Great synergy, dynamic and drives the EXT quite nicely whether in battery mode - either Medium or High gain or Over-ear headphone – or DC mode where EXT sounds even more immersive and physicality. I'm quite fond of iBasso's musicality but the M17 surprised and delighted me with it's signature and ESS Pro implementation. It's been my go to DAP of late since I can easily swap multiple 2tb USB-C SSDs filled with DSD/DXD/Flacs.

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,815 of 5,717
does anyone here tried the vision ears phoenix with computer games? how is the experience?
I'd say the Phönix wouldn't be the best choice for games. I guess in games bass (for fun) and resolution (f.e. to hear the enemy coming?) is pretty important. Phönix isn't well known for it's outstanding bass performance :) I'd recommend the EXT ! Definitely. Or the Evo. But i hope you're not just looking for >2K$-iems to play games. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back