Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #4,187 of 5,715
I tried EXT with that FiR SPC cable I had for more comfort, it took away too much of the richness and mid bass, I ended up going back to stock and it hasn't come off since. I haven't even bothered cable rolling the Phonix (not that I have many cables to try it with). I'm just going to enjoy them with their "intended" sound at this point.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #4,188 of 5,715
Can anyone comment on the Dynamics of the EXT & PHONIX?

Also imaging?

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #4,189 of 5,715
And the eagle has landed! Kudos to @Vision Ears, I was so excited about the EXT but now I am thrilled :)

Here are a few quick iPhone pics

image4.jpeg

That matching box is so nice and those shells... :heart_eyes:

image3.jpegimage6.jpeg

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

I had a couple of hours on them, first out of the box then after the afternoon burning in as I was taken by work... they already opened up a bit. Using the stock cable for now.

First I struggled with the Azla Crystal and took a few minutes to put them on (oh my...) then tipped rolled a bit as the Azla irritated my ears (yes, I am not used to tips anymore...). I finally landed on SpinFits and the fit is just perfect.

The EXT are such seductive IEMs in terms of signature, very exciting for sure and they demand your attention just like the OG Elysium but as advertised the bass is another beast! It's been a good long while since I had so much fun with bass and my inner basshead has a very big smile and my toe tapping to the beat. The sheer power of the EXT is fantastic... the biggest surprise is how fast and controlled the DD is out of the box : this is quite a fast dynamic, it can keep up with faster paced tracks easily and it provides a very clean and snappy delivery. Such an energetic brand of bass! I ran through my usual tracks and was clearly wowed... The texture on percussions is also remarkable there is power but also nuance and boatloads of detail.

To my ears the midrange is not that far off the OG Elysium I expected a bit warmer midrange from what I had read but really the warmth is rather infused from the bass and EXT seems to be just as technical as the OG it just jumps at you a bit less since bass is so powerful... burn in might change things but I don't hear the mids as being warmer or thicker. There is a good amount of bite so I wouldn't say the EXT is a more relaxed OG at least running through my test tracks it's not how I hear it.

Ah and last, but not least... treble is - to me - a notch above the OG and I must say I wouldn't mind an OG v2 with that 4 EST setup. This is possibly the best 4 EST implementation I have heard to date compared to the Volt and Spark custom, we'll see how it compares to Mentawai once it lands. EXT treble bring balance to the powerful bass with both a superb extension and energy. The EXT is from this standpoint much more energetic than I expected from reading impressions of a thicker and overall warmer OG.

You can already tell I am a happy camper and the EXT managed to pull me back towards universals... fit is really superb for a uni and I have hours of getting to know the EXT better... When FiiO M17 lands (any day now...) I think that power will come to good use :)
Spinfit CP155?

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,190 of 5,715
The 4 wire tri-copper is so so nice on EXT. Provably my preferred pairing with the EXT out of all of the cables I’ve tried so far (plussound Silver+gold 8 wire, stormbreaker (1960s) and Loki 8 wire)… which is unfortunate considering I’ve just got the Loki for it.
May I please ask for your views on what the pairing synergy is with tri-copper? Maybe I can get this during PlusSound’s xmas discount 🙃

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #4,191 of 5,715
May I please ask for your views on what the pairing synergy is with tri-copper? Maybe I can get this during PlusSound’s xmas discount 🙃
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing buying the discount. But, I was not sure what it would work with. The Copper cables are pretty well priced. Some of those hybrid cables are pricey.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,192 of 5,715
Can anyone comment on the Dynamics of the EXT & PHONIX?

Also imaging?
The EXT is the livelier of the two, simply because there's more contrast within its frequency response. The PHoNIX has a more level-headed tone by comparison. So, when it comes to the slam of percussion and things like that, the EXT will hit harder. The PHoNIX, dynamically, is one of the most in-control IEMs I've ever heard. Listening to it is like listening to Dave Weckl drum, where you get the sense that every single note or stroke is intentional and controlled, no matter how swift. Whereas, with the EXT, a key part of sounding powerful and exciting is the feeling that it's going at 100 miles-an-hour. So, though it isn't as primally fun as the EXT, the PHoNIX is so, so effortless in its delivery. Again, there's just a control to it that's mesmerising, and you get the feeling that the track you're listening to is allowed to be as free (or un-bottlenecked) as possible.

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #4,193 of 5,715
Also imaging?

Imaging.. EXT is nothing special, definitely bottom of the pack when being compared to 12t and Phoenix then X to a lesser extent, but it is one of those IEMs that I really don't think you're going to care. The sound itself is just so addicting and oozes quality.

The Phonix on the other hand has very good imaging, TOTL level stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,194 of 5,715
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #4,195 of 5,715
Imaging.. EXT is nothing special, definitely bottom of the pack when being compared to 12t and Phoenix then X to a lesser extent, but it is one of those IEMs that I really don't think you're going to care. The sound itself is just so addicting and oozes quality.

Did you compare u12t and Phoenix?

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #4,196 of 5,715

Nothing special...are two words you don't want to hear about a TOTL flagship IEM...especially when it comes to something as critical (and supposedly straightforward, at this level) as imaging. 🙄

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #4,197 of 5,715
Nothing special...are two words you don't want to hear about a TOTL flagship IEM...especially when it comes to something as critical (and supposedly straightforward, at this level) as imaging. 🙄
I’d say that EXT’s imaging is still very much in the realm of TOTL quality. I guess @aaf evo probably has higher than average standards because he’s used to the absolute best-in-class imaging IEM’s 😄 but for us mere mortals, I would say EXT imaging performance is still excellent and would be more than sufficient.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #4,198 of 5,715
I’d say that EXT’s imaging is still very much in the realm of TOTL quality. I guess @aaf evo probably has higher than average standards because he’s used to the absolute best-in-class imaging IEM’s 😄 but for us mere mortals, I would say EXT imaging performance is still excellent and would be more than sufficient.
If it images as well or better than the IE 900, it'll be more than sufficient indeed, as I find the Senn to be all-round excellent (though not top of the hill, technically).

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #4,199 of 5,715
If it images as well or better than the IE 900, it'll be more than sufficient indeed, as I find the Senn to be all-round excellent (though not top of the hill, technically).
As we discussed in PM I’ll compare the two for you :wink: but as a general feeling from casually listening to both, I would say EXT is at least as good, if not superior, to IE900’s imaging.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #4,200 of 5,715
As we discussed in PM I’ll compare the two for you :wink: but as a general feeling from casually listening to both, I would say EXT is at least as good, if not superior, to IE900’s imaging.
Hey 2x the price, it needs to be 2x better. :p

The EXT design is quite interesting. I’m curious how it would fit me with that thick “neck”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back