Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 2, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #4,201 of 5,715
If it images as well or better than the IE 900, it'll be more than sufficient indeed, as I find the Senn to be all-round excellent (though not top of the hill, technically).
If EXT has technical ability of ie900 in terms of soundstage and imaging. I will have my doubts about its pricing...

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #4,202 of 5,715
Imaging.. EXT is nothing special, definitely bottom of the pack when being compared to 12t and Phoenix then X to a lesser extent, but it is one of those IEMs that I really don't think you're going to care. The sound itself is just so addicting and oozes quality.

The Phonix on the other hand has very good imaging, TOTL level stuff.
can I ask, do you feel the phonix is similar to erlkonig quality level, or is the erlkonig a better iem in general, really curious how it compare to erlkonig

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #4,204 of 5,715
May I please ask for your views on what the pairing synergy is with tri-copper? Maybe I can get this during PlusSound’s xmas discount 🙃
Sure! The Loki 8 wire and stormbreaker (1960) are slightly (but noticeably) more technical than the tri-copper but the way it images vocals and emphasises the natural timber of the already amazing capabilities of the EXT just makes me forget about the slight dip in detail retrieval / separation. It pulls vocals closer to you and makes them feel larger, I’m putting this down to a slight accentuation in the mids / upper mids, while also adding slightly more mid bass… mid bass slam and texture seems to be amplified on the Tri-copper (it’s probably the best mid bass texture I’ve heard on an IEM with this cable). I think tri-copper just makes EXT lean towards a more W shape signature which I really dig and makes it sound as though you’re listening in person. Both the 1960 and Loki make EXT sound more balanced and less exciting imo.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #4,205 of 5,715
Nothing special...are two words you don't want to hear about a TOTL flagship IEM...especially when it comes to something as critical (and supposedly straightforward, at this level) as imaging. 🙄
I don’t find EXT’s imaging lacking at all going back and forth between Odin. It obviously isn’t as razor sharp and separated as Odins but it has a natural fuzz to it which sounds ‘right’ while not feeling hyper defined. Left to right stereo separation is very good imo.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #4,206 of 5,715
I don’t find EXT’s imaging lacking at all going back and forth between Odin. It obviously isn’t as razor sharp and separated as Odins but it has a natural fuzz to it which sounds ‘right’ while not feeling hyper defined. Left to right stereo separation is very good imo.
Thanks, I would always prefer natural to razor sharp/digital.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #4,207 of 5,715
Has anyone tried any of the Eletech cables with the EXT? Would love to hear your thoughts.
I had a feeling that Plato might actually make an interesting combo with the EXT (based on my experience of pairing Solaris 2020 with Plato 4-w) :)

Apologies if this has already been posted about; I've been out of the loop for a while due to being unwell, so am catching up on a tonne of posts on multiple threads! :laughing:

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,208 of 5,715
Did you compare u12t and Phoenix?
Not side by side … 12t bass is much more present and I’d say upper treble has more air within the signature, other than that Phonix is in a class of its own.
Nothing special...are two words you don't want to hear about a TOTL flagship IEM...especially when it comes to something as critical (and supposedly straightforward, at this level) as imaging. 🙄

I’d say that EXT’s imaging is still very much in the realm of TOTL quality. I guess @aaf evo probably has higher than average standards because he’s used to the absolute best-in-class imaging IEM’s 😄 but for us mere mortals, I would say EXT imaging performance is still excellent and would be more than sufficient.
Idk, I just find the overall placement of stuff quite flat. Im guessing im hearing it this way due to the pulled back mid range. I don’t have an issue placing stuff within the stage but I just don’t find it anything special either for a $2900 monitor? I guess that’s a better way to word it.
can I ask, do you feel the phonix is similar to erlkonig quality level, or is the erlkonig a better iem in general, really curious how it compare to erlkonig

Phonix to me surpasses Erlkonig on a quality standpoint. It is probably the most refined sound I have heard from an IEM. If you have an Erlkonig do you need to sell it and get a Phonix? Not sure about that… but, I do think the Phonix is has taken the overall Erlkonig DNA and polished it to a new level.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #4,209 of 5,715
Phonix to me surpasses Erlkonig on a quality standpoint. It is probably the most refined sound I have heard from an IEM. If you have an Erlkonig do you need to sell it and get a Phonix? Not sure about that… but, I do think the Phonix is has taken the overall Erlkonig DNA and polished it to a new level.

crap :D

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,210 of 5,715
I'd like to see someone who still has the Erlky do a comparison with the Phoenix. And then I may still hold on to the Erlky. It is the entire package, not only the sound, that is appealing to me.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #4,211 of 5,715
I'd like to see someone who still has the Erlky do a comparison with the Phoenix. And then I may still hold on to the Erlky. It is the entire package, not only the sound, that is appealing to me.

@SLC1966 I’m sure will go more in depth.

You are right, Erlkonig is such a good IEM in what it brings overall, the tuning switches and build coupled with it’s still top sound makes it hard to part with.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,212 of 5,715
I think the VE Erlk LE is one of the most real premium and complete package ever launched. Sound, versatility, design, build quality, materials, accessories…

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,213 of 5,715
Not side by side … 12t bass is much more present and I’d say upper treble has more air within the signature, other than that Phonix is in a class of its own.

Idk, I just find the overall placement of stuff quite flat. Im guessing im hearing it this way due to the pulled back mid range. I don’t have an issue placing stuff within the stage but I just don’t find it anything special either for a $2900 monitor? I guess that’s a better way to word it.

I find the imaging on EXT outstanding. If I use a basic source such as a dongle of some sort then yes the imaging reduces. Top quality IEMs source up well and then when sourced down the difference is heard. "Mid-Fi" IEMS sound fine with a basic source and then do not source up well as the source gets better. They just stay the same IMHO.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #4,214 of 5,715
Totally.

I’m pumped to hear phonix (and ext,) but the overall build, packaging, and rarity of erlky undoubtedly contributes to what makes it special.

The erlky also remains one of the two best iems I’ve heard to date, with the orphy recently unlocking quite a bit of potential I never even knew the erlky had in it.

VE Hype!

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,215 of 5,715
I did an Erlk and Phonix direct A/B comparison a couple pages back. The two of them share the same DNA but they are IMHO really different IEMs. Both amazing IEMs. Phonix has the detail going on and still has engagement and is musical i.e. not too clinical. Erlk has the warmth and engagement at the forefront and still has the detail happening. I was hoping I would want to sell one of them. They really do co-exist well. Not good for the billfold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back