Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #4,156 of 5,715
I should do like @aaf evo and sell all my expensive DAPs and just use an ifi Go blu or Gryphon with my phone. Then I'd be able to afford any IEM I want 😝
I tried that with the BTR5, Paw S1, Ifi Signature, Ifi Diablo……. I have been looking forward to get back to a DAP again. :)

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,157 of 5,715
It's not so much readiness as it is doubt that a small, portable DAC/amp can deliver the same quality as a high-end DAP. As good as the GO blu is (and it is very good) the main reason I use it is convenience/laziness, letting me listen to music with quality IEMs while I work/browse on my phone without having to switch to the DAP. But if I want to maximise quality with high-end IEMs, a high-end DAP is going to sound better. I'm going to sample the Gryphon soon to see if it can come close to high-end DAP quality, and if it can I'll certainly reassess my use cases.

Thanks for your take on this and clear explanation where you are. There's no harm in having several products and each used differently, not at all, but please tag us once you hear xDSD Gryphon :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 30, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #4,158 of 5,715
EA619171-FF84-4D73-95F0-6C98B9F9223F.jpeg

Oh hello there

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,159 of 5,715
i like all those drivers hiding in the kink of the ext.

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #4,160 of 5,715
Nov 30, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #4,162 of 5,715
Oh behave :wink: , these are incredible. So different to EXT but took a lot of what I loved about the Erlkonig and just cleaned it up/refined it a bit.
Which one is getting kicked to the streets tomorrow?

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4,164 of 5,715
Oh behave :wink: , these are incredible. So different to EXT but took a lot of what I loved about the Erlkonig and just cleaned it up/refined it a bit.
But but but what about the sub-bass?

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,165 of 5,715
But but but what about the sub-bass?

it extends, definitely still mid bassy but I used some typical tracks to test sub bass and it’s adequate enough. The sound overall is quite “cleaner” to me compared to the Erlkonig so I think that helps. The bass also sounds like it’s more textured from memory. Anyone that has them both to A/B would have to compare to give more detail.

For example, “Blame Myself” by ILLENIUM has a bass line in the chorus that starts with a sub bass drop followed by successive mid bass hits , it has no issues resolving both.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #4,166 of 5,715
it extends, definitely still mid bassy but I used some typical tracks to test sub bass and it’s adequate enough. The sound overall is quite “cleaner” to me compared to the Erlkonig so I think that helps. The bass also sounds like it’s more textured from memory. Anyone that has them both to A/B would have to compare to give more detail.

For example, “Blame Myself” by ILLENIUM has a bass line in the chorus that starts with a sub bass drop followed by successive mid bass hits , it has no issues resolving both.
The subbass does sound a bit like a DD.

The super dense and tubelike mids is what gets me tho.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #4,168 of 5,715
Yes the quality of the bass is great. I’m fairly certain it’s improved over the Erlkonig but I got rid of that almost a year ago soooo 🤷🏽‍♂️

How’s the fit and finish on the Phönix? When I bought my universal VE 8, the mating of the faceplate to the shell was not perfect. I was ok with it because I got it on sale, but if I’m going to spend nearly 4K for an IEM, I want it to be perfect. ✨

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #4,169 of 5,715
How’s the fit and finish on the Phönix? When I bought my universal VE 8, the mating of the faceplate to the shell was not perfect. I was ok with it because I got it on sale, but if I’m going to spend nearly 4K for an IEM, I want it to be perfect. ✨

If you are familiar with the Erlkonig, the overall fit is the same but the fact the Phonix is so much lighter just makes it more comfortable in comparison. For me I have no issues with it, I also didn't have many issues with the Erlkonig fit outside of the weight, so I can't complain here.

The build/finish is incredibly premium feeling. It doesn't feel QUITE as premium as the OG Erlkonig, the weight and silver shells of that IEM really made you feel like you were holding a piece of jewelry and not an IEM. But as far as overall build and finish, these are still better than most things you'll find on the market.

I just closely inspected the IEM around the gold rim where it attaches to the carbon fiber shell, no gaps or anything.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,170 of 5,715
If you are familiar with the Erlkonig, the overall fit is the same but the fact the Phonix is so much lighter just makes it more comfortable in comparison. For me I have no issues with it, I also didn't have many issues with the Erlkonig fit outside of the weight, so I can't complain here.

The build/finish is incredibly premium feeling. It doesn't feel QUITE as premium as the OG Erlkonig, the weight and silver shells of that IEM really made you feel like you were holding a piece of jewelry and not an IEM. But as far as overall build and finish, these are still better than most things you'll find on the market.

I just closely inspected the IEM around the gold rim where it attaches to the carbon fiber shell, no gaps or anything.

Thank you for your reply. I’m happy to read your assessment. I wasn’t into IEMs when the Erikönig was released, so I don’t know anything about it other than many here on this thread are admirers. I love the sound of the VE 8, so adding the new flagship is definitely of interest.

I’m perhaps a bit weird about fit and finish, but I’m a perfectionist when it comes to the gear I collect. I absolutely love finely made product, whatever it may be. ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back