Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 30, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #4,127 of 5,717
Thanks guys. @Damz87 - very much looking forward to your EXT impressions and ratings compared to the other IEMs you've used. @Deezel177 I don't recall if you've written up EXT impressions yet? I have brain fog today.
I have! Here’s the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vis...ompact-monitors.682142/page-202#post-16588300

The PHoNIX is the one I haven’t written extensively about yet. Now that I see pre-orders are starting to ship, it shouldn’t be much longer ‘til I do. :wink:

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,128 of 5,717
You guys are not helping 😄 now that I’ve completed my quest for the ultimate headphone setup, I’m eyeing to add one more IEM from VE. I was pretty sure EXT is the one, but then all these positive impressions on Phönix really put me in a dilemma 😅

The reason I sold Erlkonig was because of the strong mid-bass presence on setting 2, so much so that the sub-bass is pretty much non-existent to my ears. Is it still the case with Phönix? I’m now spoiled with IE 900’s excellent sub-bass rumble, so a bit worried with Phönix’s sub-bass. Perhaps EXT should be more similar to IE 900 in this regard? Any thoughts @Damz87 or @Deezel177 ?

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,129 of 5,717
You guys are not helping 😄 now that I’ve completed my quest for the ultimate headphone setup, I’m eyeing to add one more IEM from VE. I was pretty sure EXT is the one, but then all these positive impressions on Phönix really put me in a dilemma 😅

The reason I sold Erlkonig was because of the strong mid-bass presence on setting 2, so much so that the sub-bass is pretty much non-existent to my ears. Is it still the case with Phönix? I’m now spoiled with IE 900’s excellent sub-bass rumble, so a bit worried with Phönix’s sub-bass. Perhaps EXT should be more similar to IE 900 in this regard? Any thoughts @Damz87 or @Deezel177 ?
The lack of sub bass was part of the reason why I sold Erlkonig too. I think Phonix has a much better balance between sub and mid bass compared to Erlky (from memory) however in an overall sense, it’s still a fairly mid-bass focused tuning to my ears. Fwiw, I am thoroughly enjoying Phonix’s bass for what it does to support the rest of the FR. Phonix strikes a near-perfect balance between all frequencies that I honestly wouldn’t want to change anything about it. With Erlky, I always felt like it was lacking some extension on both ends. But with Phonix, I am yet to get that feeling.

However If you want bass similar to IE900, then yeah, EXT is the one to go for. EXT’s bass is epic. It has sub bass for days, heaps of mid bass slam and sooo much texture. Seriously loving the bass on EXT.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #4,130 of 5,717
However If you want bass similar to IE900, then yeah, EXT is the one to go for. EXT’s bass is epic. It has sub bass for days, heaps of mid bass slam and sooo much texture. Seriously loving the bass on EXT.
Special request: pls compare EXT with EVO, LX and IE 900 in your impressions! 🙏🏻

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,131 of 5,717
Special request: pls compare EXT with EVO, LX and IE 900 in your impressions! 🙏🏻
Sure :) although I’ve sold all my EE IEMs so it would have to be from memory only 😢 but I can tell you right now that EXT is my favourite bass out of those 4.

In isolation, I would say that EVO’s bass would be superior to EXT with a better technical bass performance, but the problem I have with EVO is the issues in the rest of the FR. The same can be said for LX & to a lesser extent IE900. EXT on the other hand has this incredible bass, but it maintains excellent mids and treble too. Yes, the mids are a bit pushed back in the mix and not as focused as Ely. But I find EXT’s pushed back mids far less offensive than EVO & LX’s upper frequency tuning, and IE900’s upper mid dip.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,132 of 5,717
Sure :) although I’ve sold all my EE IEMs so it would have to be from memory only 😢 but I can tell you right now that EXT is my favourite bass out of those 4.

In isolation, I would say that EVO’s bass would be superior to EXT with a better technical bass performance, but the problem I have with EVO is the issues in the rest of the FR. The same can be said for LX & to a lesser extent IE900. EXT on the other hand has this incredible bass, but it maintains excellent mids and treble too. Yes, the mids are a bit pushed back in the mix and not as focused as Ely. But I find EXT’s pushed back mids far less offensive than EVO & LX’s upper frequency tuning, and IE900’s upper mid dip.
I hear you, EXT basically graphs like an IE 900 with more forward upper mids and slightly gentler treble. Will be interesting how you hear the technicalities between the two. Tonally they appear to be very complementary.

graph - 2021-11-30T161332.438.png

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,133 of 5,717
If I must pick one, then as much as I love my EXT, I will be keeping the Phonix. My first feeling of being absolutely tranced was when I first heard the Compact Monitors Stage 3 10 years ago. The Phonix is the second IEM that made me fell into the void within 10 seconds of listening.

Luckily I have been shifting other things around and I am definitely keeping both as my...er...“endgame”.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,134 of 5,717
I hear you, EXT basically graphs like an IE 900 with more forward upper mids and slightly gentler treble. Will be interesting how you hear the technicalities between the two. Tonally they appear to be very complementary.

Yup, they sound how they graph. I find them to be pretty similar tonally from the centre-mids down to sub bass. I’ll def report back on the technicalities comparison once I’ve a/b’d them a little more :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #4,135 of 5,717
Yup, they sound how they graph. I find them to be pretty similar tonally from the centre-mids down to sub bass. I’ll def report back on the technicalities comparison once I’ve a/b’d them a little more :)
That's a good sign. The IE 900 is tonally almost perfect for my taste and music. Even more so when vocals aren't involved (which is where something like EXT would theoretically tag team). I also enjoy the IE 900's sub/midbass balance, which allows plenty of rumble to come though while avoiding the thick blanket of midbass typical of bass-elevated monitors and those with a sub-bass roll. If EXT follows suit, I suspect it's going to sound exceptional from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #4,136 of 5,717
The lack of sub bass was part of the reason why I sold Erlkonig too. I think Phonix has a much better balance between sub and mid bass compared to Erlky (from memory) however in an overall sense, it’s still a fairly mid-bass focused tuning to my ears. Fwiw, I am thoroughly enjoying Phonix’s bass for what it does to support the rest of the FR. Phonix strikes a near-perfect balance between all frequencies that I honestly wouldn’t want to change anything about it. With Erlky, I always felt like it was lacking some extension on both ends. But with Phonix, I am yet to get that feeling.

Epic bass with better upper mids than IE 900. Sounds like a winner to me 😁

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,138 of 5,717
And much better treble, imo.
EXT it is then. Perhaps Phönix later on 😄 I’m just a sucker for VE shell and faceplate design.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,139 of 5,717
And much better treble, imo.
Agreed, if the IE 900 has a weakness it's the upper-mid to treble balance. I'd still call it on par for a high-end IEM. It's definitely not harsh or offensive by any measure. If EXT betters its mids/treble in quality and quantity, that'll be justification enough for costing almost 3x the price (and likely make it my perfect IEM 😉).

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,140 of 5,717
EXT it is then. Perhaps Phönix later on 😄 I’m just a sucker for VE shell and faceplate design.

My Phonix is out for delivery, I have a feeling I’ll prefer EXT for most of my library but I have no doubt I won’t be anything less than very impressed w the Phonix also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back