Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 16, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,751 of 5,715
I do think EXT upper mids are tuned more towards my preferences but I also objectively think the quality of the upper mids and treble on the EXT are of a much different class to the Evo. Similarly to the X, it’s just a much smoother but still highly detailed sound. Zero harshness regardless of what tracks I throw at it 😉
do you use stock cable or any upgrade one? if latter, can you please compare your impressions vs. the stock ?

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3,752 of 5,715
Might need to hear EVO, but I have no doubt that its bass quantity will be too much for me haha.

I spent three hours with EXT on two different occasions, so I think I have a relatively complete impression that its bass sounds slower than what I'm used to, even for DD. It comes a bit surprising to me that here no one mentioned it. I guess I'm just interested in how other folks would compare its bass speed against other sets and whether they perceive the same problem.

The fastest I've heard is Aroma Audio Jewel, no doubt. It also uses a DD for bass. Its bass attack and decay are incredible, even outperforming all TOTL BA sets I've heard, and it extends as deep as EXT.
There are plenty of people loving slower bass. To be honest BA speed was one of things why i never got to like them. Sounded too plasticky for me. Though, now im considering to try something like Symphonium Helios once i filter my current purchases.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #3,753 of 5,715
do you use stock cable or any upgrade one? if latter, can you please compare your impressions vs. the stock ?

stock cable.

As far as bass goes, I’m not really noticing any issues with speed and I have a few edm tracks that can get very fast, but I’ll A/B later with the X and see what I notice.

I also don’t think it’s “accurate” to say EXT is tuned for certain genres, these are exceptional all-rounders to me.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #3,754 of 5,715
stock cable.

As far as bass goes, I’m not really noticing any issues with speed and I have a few edm tracks that can get very fast, but I’ll A/B later with the X and see what I notice.

I also don’t think it’s “accurate” to say EXT is tuned for certain genres, these are exceptional all-rounders to me.
I agree with all of this. Bass does not come across as slow at all to me… Definitely mid bass boosted which may add to that perception but the bass is very tight and textured to me.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #3,755 of 5,715
Ughhh...Ext seems to be an embodiement of all my IEM dreams wrapped up into one...grateful for all you early adopters...super jealous too though lmao

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #3,756 of 5,715
Ughhh...Ext seems to be an embodiement of all my IEM dreams wrapped up into one...grateful for all you early adopters...super jealous too though lmao

you’d love it. It still has that amazing mid range from the Og Elysium but its more organic to me versus the more revealing OG Elysium mid range. Now you also have some amazing bass and treble to go along with it so it may not command your attention like the the OG did but the magic is still there.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,757 of 5,715
you’d love it. It still has that amazing mid range from the Og Elysium but its more organic to me versus the more revealing OG Elysium mid range. Now you also have some amazing bass and treble to go along with it so it may not command your attention like the the OG did but the magic is still there.
Glad you enjoyed it!:darthsmile:

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #3,758 of 5,715
I think in this market EXT offers the best all-rounder DD low IEM I have heard. It also reminds me a bit of the 12t with the way it’s tuned. Except I hear more mid bass here and the treble has a bit more sparkle in comparison to the 12t.
I was literally over in the 64 thread earlier saying that a DD U12t was my 'holy grail'. Could it have somehow been incarnated as a German six-driver IEM!? 😮

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,759 of 5,715
I was literally over in the 64 thread earlier saying that a DD U12t was my 'holy grail'. Could it have somehow been incarnated as a German six-driver IEM!? 😮
So.....any plans of getting hold of one to try out? Reading your reviews is becoming a hobby for me.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,760 of 5,715
So.....any plans of getting hold of one to try out? Reading your reviews is becoming a hobby for me.:beerchug:
I'd love to but I don't think @Barra or @Wildcatsare1 will entertain a South African AudioTiers side tour 😔 EVO vs EXT would make a for an epic Deathmatch review for the ages. 😎

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,761 of 5,715

I do hear a lot of similarities. My A12t with M20 for example is slightly less mid bassy and has more sub bass emphasis outside of what I’ve already mentioned.

I should note though, I’m not particularly sensitive to different treble tunings unless there are some glaring “issues” like heavily exaggerated peaks or upper treble roll offs.

350E0C00-1941-4E2D-A49C-20E0F6B5368A.jpeg

Whether you’d prefer it over the Evo I am not sure.

Nov 16, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,762 of 5,715
There are plenty of people loving slower bass. To be honest BA speed was one of things why i never got to like them. Sounded too plasticky for me. Though, now im considering to try something like Symphonium Helios once i filter my current purchases.
If you are looking for a reference set that can reproduce uncoloured sound like studio monitors, Helios is fantastic. Its downside is its stage size, which is relatively small. Notes also sound lean (but clean). However its imaging accuracy is one of the best I've heard, no cluttering in spatial placement at all, but ample sense of space between instruments. TBH it's how I wished M9 would sound like. For reference-style IEMs Helios would be at the top of my list.

Edit: because it follows harman target, the meat of bass is in sub-bass, so bass will sound lean overall if recording lacks in sub-bass region.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,763 of 5,715
I do hear a lot of similarities. My A12t with M20 for example is slightly less mid bassy and has more sub bass emphasis outside of what I’ve already mentioned.

I should note though, I’m not particularly sensitive to different treble tunings unless there are some glaring “issues” like heavily exaggerated peaks or upper treble roll offs.

Whether you’d prefer it over the Evo I am not sure.
Interesting that EXT graphs with more sub-bass extension and volume than the U12t. Do you think the midbass bias is because it's new out the box?

I share your approach to treble. Unless it's harsh or overly forward, I generally don't notice it.

As for EVO, that's the $3000 question, isn't it? 🤔

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3,764 of 5,715
Interesting that EXT graphs with more sub-bass extension and volume than the U12t. Do you think the midbass bias is because it's new out the box?

I share your approach to treble. Unless it's harsh or overly forward, I generally don't notice it.

As for EVO, that's the $3000 question, isn't it? 🤔

I did speak to some other EXT owners who said the mid bass gets more controlled with burn in, so perhaps? At this point though if the sound remains as is I have no issues.

Honestly I’d probably attribute it down to just being a CIEM versus the U12t. EXT definitely doesn’t lack in extension in the lows but I feel A12t with M20 throws more sub bass into the sound versus EXT.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,765 of 5,715
I did speak to some other EXT owners who said the mid bass gets more controlled with burn in, so perhaps? At this point though if the sound remains as is I have no issues.

Honestly I’d probably attribute it down to just being a CIEM versus the U12t. EXT definitely doesn’t lack in extension in the lows but I feel A12t with M20 throws more sub bass into the sound versus EXT.
As long as the midbass isn't casting a veil or overemphasizing thicker bass lines (Massive Attack's Angel for example) then I consider it well controlled. And if it still manages to purr when deep-reaching sub bass is called for, then the balance is A-OK. And...if it does all that while still keeping vocals front, centre, vivid, alive and natural, that's the top boxes on my checklist all ticked. Throw in a wide stage and first class imaging and resolution and we're in dream summit fi territory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back