Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,766 of 5,715
I do hear a lot of similarities. My A12t with M20 for example is slightly less mid bassy and has more sub bass emphasis outside of what I’ve already mentioned.

I should note though, I’m not particularly sensitive to different treble tunings unless there are some glaring “issues” like heavily exaggerated peaks or upper treble roll offs.

350E0C00-1941-4E2D-A49C-20E0F6B5368A.jpeg

Whether you’d prefer it over the Evo I am not sure.
listening to u12t now (man...for the price this thing is just stupid...enjoying this much more than the first time I heard it.)

and that chart makes the ext look pure :fire:

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,767 of 5,715
I did speak to some other EXT owners who said the mid bass gets more controlled with burn in, so perhaps? At this point though if the sound remains as is I have no issues.

Honestly I’d probably attribute it down to just being a CIEM versus the U12t. EXT definitely doesn’t lack in extension in the lows but I feel A12t with M20 throws more sub bass into the sound versus EXT.
how about the comfort of wearing it for sleep ? im thinking of getting a12t this black friday, but EXT is tempting too because of it small size.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,768 of 5,715
how about the comfort of wearing it for sleep ? im thinking of getting a12t this black friday, but EXT is tempting too because of it small size.
Sucks in like a custom for me and has a very low profile... it's pretty much swallowed up by my ears. Haven't tried laying down with it yet on the pillow but I can't see it being an issue. The U12t was a no go for me in that regards, it's got a much thicker body.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,769 of 5,715
As long as the midbass isn't casting a veil or overemphasizing thicker bass lines (Massive Attack's Angel for example) then I consider it well controlled. And if it still manages to purr when deep-reaching sub bass is called for, then the balance is A-OK. And...if it does all that while still keeping vocals front, centre, vivid, alive and natural, that's the top boxes on my checklist all ticked. Throw in a wide stage and first class imaging and resolution and we're in dream summit fi territory.

I will listen later and see how I hear it, I’ve never heard this track so I don’t have a reference point but I’ll do my best to describe what I hear. @Deezel177 would be much more qualified to give a proper assessment here.

The stage on EXT is great. Don’t expect crazy out of head imaging like the Traillii or X but it’s very spherical and stays coherent and organized without pushing sounds too far away or shoving them in your face either. It hits a sweet spot for me personally.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #3,770 of 5,715
listening to u12t now (man...for the price this thing is just stupid...enjoying this much more than the first time I heard it.)

Probably the sweetest looking graph I've seen. The Emily Ratajkowski of IEM graphs. No unnatural peaks to speak of, sub-bass tastefully lifted above mids and treble, plenty of extension, linear midrange with modest pinna gain. So sexy! And...I need to get a life. :sweat:

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #3,771 of 5,715
https://majorhifi.com/64-audio-u12t-vs-campfire-solaris-review/

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 15.22.15.png

Chunky boy :sweat_smile: The solaris isn't small either. Saying that, I found the U12t much more comfortable than Solaris when standing / general wearing. Its got an unobtrusive shape besides its depth.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,773 of 5,715

U12t is simply one of the best. I threw away the packaging long time ago (the unboxing experience is garbage, let's be honest) because back then I was thinking: I am not selling it ever.

Still have it now and I don't see it going anywhere.

EXT is probably the second one for me to keep long term....not throwing away this gorgeous packaging tho!

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3,774 of 5,715
https://majorhifi.com/64-audio-u12t-vs-campfire-solaris-review/

Chunky boy :sweat_smile: The solaris isn't small either. Saying that, I found the U12t much more comfortable than Solaris when standing / general wearing. Its got an unobtrusive shape besides its depth.

I actually find U12t not as secure in ear due to the smaller, more angular shell. Not uncomfortable, but it doesn't suck into your ears like a typical CIEM shaped IEM.

The protruding 2pin connector is not doing any favours either since the cable wrap is further from my ears.

It is near Westone-level comfort, don't get me wrong, but it actually fell out of my ears a few times before when I was fiddling with the cable.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,776 of 5,715
I've settled on a one TOTL IEM policy. So if it betters what I have, cost isn't that much of a factor. Getting to listen to two at the same time - that's the challenge. I'm not into collecting IEMs.
The big issue with this policy for me is that it is almost impossible to try these TOTL iems outside of just taking a punt and buying them if you don't live in a country where they are on display in shops or there are review tours.

So then you think, I will buy the next one and compare it to what I have and sell the second place one. Then you find you love both and it would be like having to sell one of your kids. Now you are broke and the single-iem policy has become a multi-iem policy :gs1000smile:

EXT or X? The longer it takes to answer that question, the better my wallet will be. I really need to stop watching these threads :)

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,777 of 5,715
The big issue with this policy for me is that it is almost impossible to try these TOTL iems outside of just taking a punt and buying them if you don't live in a country where they are on display in shops or there are review tours.

So then you think, I will buy the next one and compare it to what I have and sell the second place one. Then you find you love both and it would be like having to sell one of your kids. Now you are broke and the single-iem policy has become a multi-iem policy :gs1000smile:

EXT or X? The longer it takes to answer that question, the better my wallet will be. I really need to stop watching these threads :)

what type of music do you listen to and what are you wanting from the iem exactly? You can’t go wrong with either but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #3,778 of 5,715
There are plenty of people loving slower bass. To be honest BA speed was one of things why i never got to like them. Sounded too plasticky for me. Though, now im considering to try something like Symphonium Helios once i filter my current purchases.
I used to be a DD bass or bust type of person. But, over time, I have learned to love the coherence and big picture presentation that BAs provide. It manifests itself in monitors like U12t, VE8 and Traillii. They sound so good that their sound profile cannot be dismissed simply by one variable in bass speed. Whenever I A/B test DD drivers vs BA drivers, the DD always wins by a significant margin. But, when I A/B test the overall sound presentation, the DDs do not always win, in fact, it's pretty even.

I really like the Helios. I liked it better than the U12t.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,779 of 5,715
what type of music do you listen to and what are you wanting from the iem exactly? You can’t go wrong with either but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
There's a lot from both that makes sense which is the tough part I guess. I listen to all sorts of music, anything from Pink Floyd, Metallica to EDM so the "all-rounder" element of the EXT that you describe connects. The main things I look for are dynamic drivers for the low end and then a large, detailed soundstage. Currently using Evo and Odin mainly so looking for something that would complement them rather than replace as I'd be reluctant to sell either. Cheers

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3,780 of 5,715
I tried to share here but Head-Fi was down, audio46 had received a stock of EXT available for online purchase but they seem to be on back order now.

There's a lot from both that makes sense which is the tough part I guess. I listen to all sorts of music, anything from Pink Floyd, Metallica to EDM so the "all-rounder" element of the EXT that you describe connects. The main things I look for are dynamic drivers for the low end and then a large, detailed soundstage. Currently using Evo and Odin mainly so looking for something that would complement them rather than replace as I'd be reluctant to sell either. Cheers

Hmmm, for stuff like Metallica I'd say the EXT will pull ahead with its more natural and weighted instrument timbre as well as male vocal presentation. For EDM the X definitely shines there. If possible I'd do EXT, Evo, and X. I feel the X is just a "better" version of the Odin, the EXT will offer you the most realistic and weighted mid range of them all, imo, and then you'll get that awesome bass from the Evo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back