Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,817 of 5,715
Yes, thrilled that Musicteck is now the official supplier in the US.

I see that Andrew shows the LE ERLKONIG as available. I thought that was sold out? Did they actually make more? Tks.
it's showing sold out now anyway...just hit refresh :)
plus the price seemed a bit high @ $4800, but a moot point

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,819 of 5,715
Introduction:

Enter Elysium. At first, I was a bit concerned after reading several mixed impressions on the Universal model, but ultimately I highly enjoyed my 3 day affair with them.

Quick notes before going through my impressions:
  • Fit: If you settle for tips that are not a deep-insert such as Spiral Dots, it is likely you will get a poor bass response. Ultimately the SpinFits and Sedna Xelestecs were the best for my ears.
  • Source/Cable: I only had the DX160 so I could not test it against other DAPs/DACs, but I preferred the EA Ares II 3.5mm stock Legend X cable compared to the 2.5mm silver Ely stock cable. It helped open the soundstage up quite a bit and add some warmth/musicality. (By the way, I was a cable non-believer until this. I started with the Ares out of desperation because I did not have a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter at hand yet. After receiving the adapter, I noticed some key differences, discussed later in the post).
  • I have never heard the Custom Elysium so this is all based off just a 3 day demo with the Universal model.
  • This is my first attempt at a lengthier post discussing my impressions and am still developing/refining the terminologies 😊. I’ll put a “Too Long, Didn’t Read” at the bottom.
Sources/Genres:

iBasso DX160 with MQA Tidal Streaming with Ares II 3.5mm cable. Listened to a variety of genres, including EDM, metal, rock, alternative, hip hop, indie, & chillstep.

Impressions:

Look, I’m a wh*re for texture, soundstage and detail. But I also demand a musical, PRaT presentation. I ask for a lot---and Elysium might have just mostly delivered it.

Bass: Surprisingly very good for a single BA. There is nice, detailed sub-bass texture and an overall solid mid-bass. The bass never detracts from the rest of the frequencies and serves as a nice complement to the overall tuning. When listening to Iron Maiden, the sub-bass flows perfectly alongside the vibrant myriad of Bruce’s voice, the guitar, and the drum hits. There are times I do wish for more of a mid-bass slam and a bit more air, but that’s just a tradeoff of using a BA vs DD for the lows at this point.

Mids: What the Ely truly excels at is instrument and voice timbre. There is absolutely amazing texture with guitar plucks, percussion hits, and in both male and female voices. The Ely does a great job in detail retrieval as well, so you really get an immersive presentation that can get intimate. The vocals are never too forward, and despite a semi-laid back presentation, you never feel detached from the music. For higher pitched female vocals in genres like EDM (e.g., Joni Fatora in “Sleepwalker”), the Ely really makes it sound like you are being serenaded in an open field of euphoric detail.

I have yet to find that “perfect IEM” for metal but I feel Ely surprisingly excels in that genre. Its’ clarity in the mids and speed up top really helps keep the constant barrage of distortions, aggressive vocals, and guitar shredding all stay in the mix without overlapping each other/getting lost. Overall, it is a lovely blend and balance of being technical as well as musical.

Highs: The treble and highs are detailed, airy, and well-textured. There is an occasional issue where vocals or high-pitched sounds can come across a bit harsh or shouty. Particularly higher pitched female vocals can come across a bit shrill (e.g., Lor in the song Keaton). I love me some excitement up top and am in no way particularly sibilant, but a few times I was caught off guard. For example, I like to use the track “Value” by A$AP Ferg for sibilance due to its skewed high ping sounds from the upper right quadrant throughout the song, and it did fatigue me compared to something very smooth like my LX.

But outside of the occasional “inconsistency” up top for poorer recordings, when its working (which is most of time), it works. Fun, musical, and highly detailed and extended.

Detail Retrieval: I have listened to a handful of TOTLs and these are most definitely in the upper echelon for detail. I went through my library and began picking up small sounds I never caught before. I had to rewind a few times to make sure my girlfriend didn’t slip a psychedelic tab or something into my water. And while doing this, I was still immersed musically. The only time I possibly heard more detail was during my brief stint with the U18t. Anole VX-S detail, from what I recall, is relatively comparable although noticeably less musical, and while Jomo Trinity SS also had excellent detail, Ely has better extension to my ears.

Soundstage: Soundstage is good, but by no means the largest. Still, in this case, I think it helps the mids shine without getting lost in all the detail that it retrieves. I do wish instrument imaging were a bit more pinpoint with a blacker background, but instead they radiate with musical joy and I really cannot complain about that tradeoff. To my ears, switching from the stock VE silver cable to the Ares II helped open the stage up and shift from very intimate to quite intimate (a good thing for me). Perhaps a different DAP would improve instrument separation as well.

Comparisons:

Ely vs LX:

LX is in a league of itself when it comes to the lows. It is a complete bass cannon with a tad bit of bass bleed, but untouchable when it comes to bass-heavy tracks or genres that can benefit from additional warmth/timbre. Ely seems to do a bit better with music with more complex passages that require faster transients, or vocal-focused tracks. The mids are lush on the LX but feel a bit recessed/fuzzy when compared to the Ely’s impeccable detail there.

Although detail retrieval is somewhat close, Ely comes out on top. LX has better bass slam, but Ely has better clarity and control in the lows. Ely has better detail retrieval across treble and mids. The Ely’s balanced sound signature allows more details to surface, whereas some details can get lost in LX’s thicker, warm sound. Ely is more intimate, so LX does win in terms of soundstage. Instrument imaging to me goes to the LX due to the larger stage, wrapping farther from left to right and in height/depth.

One of my favorite parts about the LX is its’ timbre…until I heard the Ely. I would describe the LX as meatier than the Ely, whereas the Ely’s timbre is better defined and detailed. It comes across as lighter and airier. For those who meditate and practice body scans- think of the LX as being as a warm, viscous gold light flowing down your body; whereas the Ely is a clear, sparkly, and agile light that is equally soothing and euphoric. All in all, if I found an ideal DAC & cable pairing, I would happily have the Ely as my complement to the LX.

Elysium vs Ara: (*Ara impressions are from memory)

Ara comes across as a bit more neutral across the frequencies, with possibly a bit more sparkle. Soundstage goes to Elysium, and although Ara is no slouch with detail retrieval, Ely is more detailed. Ara is warmer than Ely as its bass digs deeper and has more of a mid-bass slam when required. Vocals are great on both, with the Ara’s being a tad more forward. Ely’s texture and timbre, keeps it immersive and ultimately in its own unique league. Both IEMS are great options for finding the right blend of being technical and musical. Instead of focusing on the details, you just get lost in the details, but only if you chose so 😉.

Ely vs Solaris SE: (*Solaris from memory)

Solaris is more holographic (when is it not? lol). Detail retrieval goes to Ely, with a slightly smaller, intimate stage. Solaris has more mid-bass slam, and while sub-bass presence is similar, Ely has faster transients. Ely also has more detailed/textured bass. Ely has stronger focus on instrument texture (guitar picks, bass hits). To my ears, Elysium just feels more musical overall with more clarity and resolution.

TL;DR:

For three days, I was able to float through Elysium’s blissful world. They radiate pure joy and ooze detail across all the of the frequencies in a balanced fashion. Vocals are extremely clear and instrument texture is truly excellent. Despite the smaller stage, the intimate presentation allows for a special tuning that manages to juggle being both highly technical and musical.

There are times the higher frequencies can become a bit harsh, so perhaps a different source or cable rolling can help with that. They are not the best option for genres such as Rap, EDM or other bass-heavy genres, but the details in the mids and treble can be pleasant when trying to re-experience some of your favorite songs. Sometimes I don’t want to have my head whacked over and over with a club, so the Ely will spare me the bass abuse from my LX by providing a unique, detailed presentation that is just as enjoyable. Overall, if you can get a chance to demo them, I highly recommend trying them (ideally with an arsenal of tips, cables, and sources if possible).

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,822 of 5,715
Aug 30, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,825 of 5,715
I have a question I had never asked. What is the brand and make-up of the black cable used on the LE Erlkonig? Does anyone know? Tks.
I’ve heard rumors that Hansound supplies them and the build of the VE Ely cable is somewhat consistent with that. Nothing official though

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,826 of 5,715
I’ve heard rumors that Hansound supplies them and the build of the VE Ely cable is somewhat consistent with that. Nothing official though

I don't know whether or not it's changed with the LE, but the original Erlkonig had cables supplied by Effect Audio.

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,828 of 5,715
Thanks Michael. We usually dig all this up on each IEM, but for some reason I don’t think we ever found out for sure. Maybe VE can answer for us? I would like to know its composition. Just curious at the moment. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back