Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jun 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #631 of 5,715
Just listened to the ve6x and ve5 for three hours. I came with the intention to buy the ve6x1 but I am not so sure now. The X1 had too much bass in a lot of songs, didnt expect this. Mids are recessed which sounds good but mids on the ve5 are terrific and very involving for me. Strangely I hate the shure se846 for their forward mids but I love the ve5 for its ability to clearly repoduce voices as I havent heard before. Bass is just the right amount for me on the ve5, dynamics are better on the 6 still. The ve5 is very clear sounding, I am afraid it might be too bright for me after some time.

Both phones gain a lot when using them with the Hugo. I dont know how to choose now...

Oh, and I had the rhines Stage 5 and 4U for a week now. The ve6x1 feels a little similar in sound to the Stage 5 while having less recessed voices but not such a tight bass. The 4U is very balanced with good punshy bass but somehow bores me.

So, give ne advice how to spend my cash.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #633 of 5,715
has anyone ordered from VE recently? looks like their turnaround time has significantly increased...

I haven't ordered from them, but I know from speaking to them directly they are extremely busy. There seems to be a fair bit of interest for the VE5 in the German music industry. My demo unit arrives in a few days and so I will post my impressions.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #634 of 5,715
And my VE5 review will be up tomorrow
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #635 of 5,715
I haven't ordered from them, but I know from speaking to them directly they are extremely busy. There seems to be a fair bit of interest for the VE5 in the German music industry. My demo unit arrives in a few days and so I will post my impressions.

Yea seems like they are, it's the 9th week since we sent out impressions and there's no news yet. not really slow for CIEMs but usually VE ships faster than that even during high demands i think
anyway as long as they deliver the best quality I won't complain about the wait :)

p.s. looking forward to your ve5 review!

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #636 of 5,715
  And my VE5 review will be up tomorrow
wink.gif

Give me that review! When I heard the VE5 I really loved its ability to create natural voices. In fact I loved it more than the VE6X1 which I intended to buy. Still I am not sure if the VE5 is really bad for certain genres. The VE6X1 is way smoother and will work with everything but the VE5 is oh so special. Chord Hugo helped it a lot. Soon I will audition both the VE5 and the VE6X1 for a week at home to make up a final decision. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #637 of 5,715
  Give me that review! When I heard the VE5 I really loved its ability to create natural voices. In fact I loved it more than the VE6X1 which I intended to buy. Still I am not sure if the VE5 is really bad for certain genres. The VE6X1 is way smoother and will work with everything but the VE5 is oh so special. Chord Hugo helped it a lot. Soon I will audition both the VE5 and the VE6X1 for a week at home to make up a final decision. 

Not going to spill too much yet but the VE5 indeed is the better one to me if you like the typical sound signature. The VE6 XC in example can do more "genres" but it doesn't do as good what the VE5 can.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #638 of 5,715
wait do they offer downgrade service? jk, will definitely give VE5 a try when demos units arrive.

@sappy as you said VE6 is way smoother, does it mean VE5 can get harsh sometime, or the transition is not as good? how about sibilance control?

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #639 of 5,715
  wait do they offer downgrade service? jk, will definitely give VE5 a try when demos units arrive.

@sappy as you said VE6 is way smoother, does it mean VE5 can get harsh sometime, or the transition is not as good? how about sibilance control?

Nothing got harsh when I heard the VE5 but things felt clearer than with the VE6X1 (the X2 is on another piece of paper but I didn't listen to it that much as it felt to thin for me) and mids are more pronounced. VE6X1 felt more like easy listening but with too much bass (VE5 had just the right amount for me and I love a lot of bass) but for now the VE5 is more rewarding for me. why am I still undecided between the too? I love voices, singer/songwriter stuff but I don't want to give up on rock and EDM just for the perfect vocals. I am not a hundred percent sure if the genres the VE5 is not made for will sound good enough for me. but as I said, voices are so very rewarding. love it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #640 of 5,715
Yea seems like they are, it's the 9th week since we sent out impressions and there's no news yet. not really slow for CIEMs but usually VE ships faster than that even during high demands i think
anyway as long as they deliver the best quality I won't complain about the wait :)

p.s. looking forward to your ve5 review!

I get my VE3 after around 7 weeks time (ordered on april 24th, get the IEM on june 15th). But they warned me already about the prolonged turnaround time, because of the high demand after the exhibition in Frankfurt.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #642 of 5,715
Jun 30, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #643 of 5,715
Great review. I especially enjoyed reading about the company and their manufacturing process. Your VE5 looks really nice by the way (although I'm biased towards those colours). How is the isolation on the VE5? I heard it's not as good as some other acrylic CIEMs due to the way they make the canals.

Like I say in the review I do have other with this canal type, the isolation is just as good if your fit is like it should be. No reason to worry. And thanks!

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #644 of 5,715
I get my VE3 after around 7 weeks time (ordered on april 24th, get the IEM on june 15th). But they warned me already about the prolonged turnaround time, because of the high demand after the exhibition in Frankfurt.

Thanks for the info! and congrats :)

My Vision Ear visit and VE5 review is now online, for those interested

http://www.headfonia.com/visit-review-vision-ears-ve5-vocals-vocals-vocals/

awesome review, now i'm more tempted to give VE5 a try. I am also using Mars and I've never heard any cable that alters the sound signature so much.. it simply makes any CIEM sound much smoother and clearer. love those photos from the lab too :)

btw, do they now ship with 1 big and 1 small aluminium cases?

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #645 of 5,715
  awesome review, now i'm more tempted to give VE5 a try. I am also using Mars and I've never heard any cable that alters the sound signature so much.. it simply makes any CIEM sound much smoother and clearer. love those photos from the lab too :)

btw, do they now ship with 1 big and 1 small aluminium cases?

Thank you. I'm not sure if they're using the new boxes already, I just got the standard box with mine.
That Mars cable really is good, right? Is there a Mars thread on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back