Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jun 30, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #646 of 5,715

Thank you. I'm not sure if they're using the new boxes already, I just got the standard box with mine.
That Mars cable really is good, right? Is there a Mars thread on here?

defnitely, not cheap but I ordered mine without too much hesitation after auditioning it.
I don't think I've seen any thread, still too new to build a user base?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #647 of 5,715
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #648 of 5,715
tested VE5 for a while today, what a surprise... I still love VE6, but if VE5 was out earlier I would have had a hard time making decision between these two.
the vocal is like... tube amp vs solid state if compared to VE6.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #649 of 5,715
So I've been enjoying a home demo of the VE5. Firstly, I have to say that I am always impressed by the quality of Vision Ears' demo units. I always get a good fit and feel you get a very good idea of the sound from them.  Of course, there will be some differences compared to the actual custom.

I more or less agree with Ultrainferno's very good review.  The way vocals are presented with the VE5 really is something quite special.  I've heard other IEMs that are supposed to be for "vocal lovers" and some of them think this means presenting them in an in your face way.  Yes, vocals are forward with the VE5, but in a way that lets you appreciate them.  For example, I was listening to Alicia Key's As I Am album and noticed backing vocals and harmonies that were glossed over with other IEMs, even TOTL ones.

Clarity is also really good with the VE5.  There is nothing artificial about it and although the VE5 is slightly bright, I can't imagine it being too fatiguing.  But I am biased towards bright earphones.  For those worried about sibilance with the VE5, I don't think there is anything to worry about.  I didn't hear any and I think the treble is smooth and well extended.

Although I really like the VE5, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anyone looking for a good all-rounder.  While I wouldn't say they were bass-lite, I did notice a lack of bass when listening to some rock and hip-hop.  I always resist the urge to use EQ when testing an IEM, but I really wanted to use the bass boost with the VE5.  I do have to say though I prefer the bass on the VE5 compared to the VE6 X1, which I found could sound a tad bloated on some tracks.

So in summary, if you are looking for a CIEM for vocal focused music, I would say check it out.  If you are looking for an all purposes CIEM, I would say definitely try before you buy.  Vision Ears should be happy to lend out a demo unit provided you pay a security deposit.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #650 of 5,715

I'm not sure if they're using the new boxes already, I just got the standard box with mine.

They are not. The smaller, round box is optional, as far as I know. At least that's what they told me. You can get the box for 35€ plus 10€ for engraving your name. Not sure how much it is in USD, but you get an idea.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #651 of 5,715
is there anyone who can compare the ve6xcontrol or ve5 to the ADEL A12 from 1964ears? I am currently testing both vision ears again and it feels like both of them are missing something for me.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #653 of 5,715
What is it you are missing?

both are very good at what they do so take the following as an exaggeration of what slightly disturbs me.

the ve5 ist bright. everybody knows. it can just achieve those terrific voices by doing so. but still it is bright. no sibilance just bright. dynamics are not as good as with other phones for the same reason. for me this one would be a dream just for voices but I don't feel like choosing the music matching my phones but my taste which goes in nearly every possible region.

the ve6x1 feels thick in the mids. and slow. a little boomy sometimes. there is plenty of bass but it feels like it is mostly mid bass making the sound thick and voices a little muffled although they are very upfront. as I said the bass is very present but the deep bass could hit a lot harder. I love bass (the only thing I really liked about the se846) but this one doesn't feel that enjoyable.

at first I didn't listen much to the ve6x2. but it is quite likable but here I am missing the bass. nothing disturbs here, voices are not as present compared to the x1 but things work out quite well. and what's a shame for me somehow is that the bass is way less here but it sounds better quality wise compared to the x1. better details and pronounciation but just not enough for me to enjoy for everyday listening.

keep in mind again that I am very picky with almost every phone I have encountered in my life. I really enjoy my Alpha Prime and I loved the B&W P7 but so far I never encountered an in ear that makes me completely happy. again let me say that both the ve5 and ve6 are very good phones. I just tried to describe what doesn't fit for me. and to better do that my words might be exaggerated. so both are terrific phones but try to listen before you buy. the ve5 is really special and would be my choice between them both as it is terrific for voices. but not a perfect allrounder. but you knew that already...

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #654 of 5,715

both are very good at what they do so take the following as an exaggeration of what slightly disturbs me.

the ve5 ist bright. everybody knows. it can just achieve those terrific voices by doing so. but still it is bright. no sibilance just bright. dynamics are not as good as with other phones for the same reason. for me this one would be a dream just for voices but I don't feel like choosing the music matching my phones but my taste which goes in nearly every possible region.

the ve6x1 feels thick in the mids. and slow. a little boomy sometimes. there is plenty of bass but it feels like it is mostly mid bass making the sound thick and voices a little muffled although they are very upfront. as I said the bass is very present but the deep bass could hit a lot harder. I love bass (the only thing I really liked about the se846) but this one doesn't feel that enjoyable.

at first I didn't listen much to the ve6x2. but it is quite likable but here I am missing the bass. nothing disturbs here, voices are not as present compared to the x1 but things work out quite well. and what's a shame for me somehow is that the bass is way less here but it sounds better quality wise compared to the x1. better details and pronounciation but just not enough for me to enjoy for everyday listening.

keep in mind again that I am very picky with almost every phone I have encountered in my life. I really enjoy my Alpha Prime and I loved the B&W P7 but so far I never encountered an in ear that makes me completely happy. again let me say that both the ve5 and ve6 are very good phones. I just tried to describe what doesn't fit for me. and to better do that my words might be exaggerated. so both are terrific phones but try to listen before you buy. the ve5 is really special and would be my choice between them both as it is terrific for voices. but not a perfect allrounder. but you knew that already...

Try the SE5 Ultimate :D

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #657 of 5,715
Mimouille I've always wanted to try the SE5U... but damn why do they not even have distributors? :frowning2:
I read so many positive reviews on it but I don't think I'm daring enough to order without auditioning

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #658 of 5,715
the spiral ear seem interesting but no audition is possible, i asked them. if i can choose which very expensive ciem i would buy without auditioning i would choose the a12 right now because of the hearing protection part. my ears could use this as i am suffering from a tinnitus for years and don't want to make it any worse. but all of this doesn't belong in this thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back