Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,036 of 5,715
So I've just received my Elysium and here are my first thoughts (here are some initial photos, I will certainly make better ones though):

1. It just makes sense - the Elysium is the perfect addition to the VE line - instead of upgrading the VE8 (an already widely loved IEM), they went for a completely different sound signature, which imo makes for a much more exciting expansion of the line. The way I see it, it could even be looked at as a co-flagship - one warmer TOTL, and a slightly brighter, more mid-centric alternative.
2. The Elysium's DD does mids the way no IEM has done mids to date (IMHO) - they are simply put, euphoric. I am hearing details in the midrange that I had no idea were even there, and boy am I loving it
3. The Elysium is proof that an IEM doesn't have to be warm to be fun and pleasant. I wouldn't assess the Elysium as an IEM that is sterile or overly reference in any way or form. On the contrary, I'd say it is probably one of the most pleasant, easy IEMs to listen to
4. I think it was a great decision to go for estat highs instead of BA highs + estat ultrahighs. The estats deliver an extremely pleasant treble response with plenty of sparkle and extension. Female vocals come alive in front of you
5. THANK YOU VE FOR THE BA BASS - honestly, as someone who's extremely bass sensitive and can't handle large bass quantities, this is such a blessing. In my entire history of IEMs, this is the first time I've plugged an IEM in my DAP and not thought about killing the bass through a large chain of purchases. Again, thank you <3
6. Best fitting CIEM I've received - I was extremely anxious about this as I've had a rather trouble experience with CIEMs from other companies. The Elysium entered fit like a glove and I'm pretty sure it will not be leaving for a long, long while.
IMG_8475.jpg IMG_8478.jpg

A big shoutout to Johannes over at VE as well for all the assistance with the purchase process and the very quick delivery of the order!!!!

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,037 of 5,715
A big shoutout to Johannes over at VE as well for all the assistance with the purchase process and the very quick delivery of the order!!!!
Thank you, Sir! It was my pleasure. But the quick delivery is more due to my great colleagues in the lab who actually care about keeping the promises that we give at the front desk.

Have fun with your new ELYSIUM and talk soon!

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,038 of 5,715
Thank you, Sir! It was my pleasure. But the quick delivery is more due to my great colleagues in the lab who actually care about keeping the promises that we give at the front desk.

Have fun with your new ELYSIUM and talk soon!
Most certainly! You guys have 100% won me over

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,041 of 5,715
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,042 of 5,715
That was fast!
I usually take a lot more time sort of “figuring out” the IEM that I find interesting enough to write a review for, but the Elysium was such a good match it felt like it’s always been a part of me haha..

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,044 of 5,715
Phantastic Setup! They look gorgeous, glad to hear you’re happy with them :)
The cable looks great, too. Is it terminated in SE or did you go for balanced for more power? I heard the elysium are power hungry (more so than other IEMs, at least)
Thank you!!

I went for single ended because the SP1000M has plenty of power (and my RME ADI 2 DAC is SE only), but I do need to turn the volume up somewhat more than other IEMs. They definitely need a pretty good source though

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,046 of 5,715
Excellent review sir,
Anyway, I wonder what sets you use to review.
I had the chance to listen to Elysium only once and I thought that this earphone is not easy to drive, just using only Dap. Perhaps It needs a headphone amplifier.
I suppose it depends on the DAP, but I did find myself needing a higher volume level than usual

I wouldn’t say it needs a dedicated amp though, at least when I play it with my 1000M it sounds excellent

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #1,047 of 5,715
I have to say I enjoyed your review for a different reason. I have to admit that I am also bias to the VE Erlkonig. As I was reading your description of the Elysium, I keep telling myself I can just substitute the word Erlkonig in your review and change a few words then it will the review for the Erlkonig. The Erlkonig is the best iems I have the opportunity to own. I don’t know how VE did it but the sound is so organic and not BA like. There is not a shred of harshness throughout the whole frequency range but yet it has plenty of resolution, texture, airiness , dynamic, coherence, and transparency. One thing that VE did with the mid is that it is not recessed. When I first heard the Erlkonig I immediately was drawn to the mid as I am a vocal lover. I don’t Know how VE can improve on the Erlkonig and I don’ Even know if VE knows what they have created.
The fact that it has four settings is only icing on top.

If VE can do the Elysium bass with one BA driver, think about what happens with four. As you say “ It is just so obscenely good that I keep finding myself missing it every time I listened to any other IEM. The detail retrieval is on a completely different level as well. This is where the [ Erlkonig] really shines. These is by far the most dynamic, detailed and engaging midrange I have ever listened to. Instruments come alive, vocals sound like they are dead in front of you performing for you live.’ See what I mean? You are really describing the Erlkonig :smile_phones:.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,048 of 5,715
I have to say I enjoyed your review for a different reason. I have to admit that I am also bias to the VE Erlkonig. As I was reading your description of the Elysium, I keep telling myself I can just substitute the word Erlkonig in your review and change a few words then it will the review for the Erlkonig. The Erlkonig is the best iems I have the opportunity to own. I don’t know how VE did it but the sound is so organic and not BA like. There is not a shred of harshness throughout the whole frequency range but yet it has plenty of resolution, texture, airiness , dynamic, coherence, and transparency. One thing that VE did with the mid is that it is not recessed. When I first heard the Erlkonig I immediately was drawn to the mid as I am a vocal lover. I don’t Know how VE can improve on the Erlkonig and I don’ Even know if VE knows what they have created.
The fact that it has four settings is only icing on top.

If VE can do the Elysium bass with one BA driver, think about what happens with four. As you say “ It is just so obscenely good that I keep finding myself missing it every time I listened to any other IEM. The detail retrieval is on a completely different level as well. This is where the Elysium really shines. These is by far the most dynamic, detailed and engaging midrange I have ever listened to. Instruments come alive, vocals sound like they are dead in front of you performing for you live.’ See what I mean? You are really describing the Erlkonig :smile_phones:.
The Erlkonig is also a very very good IEM, extremely clean with a pitch black background. I really liked it when I listened to it, but the fit wasn't quite optimal for me (even though universals generally fit me extremely well) and I do feel like the Elysium does have the upper hand when it comes to the mids, even if ever so slightly.

The bass knob on the Erl is a blessing though, as it lets you tune the sound to pretty much any genre, and it can effectively replace half a collection

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #1,049 of 5,715
You are so correct with the bass knob. It’s like having 4 iems in one. I am very glad that you like the Elysium, It is a very good iems. By the way, I really like the olive green

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,050 of 5,715
Soooo yeah

What they don't tell you about well fititng customs

Is that they make the rest of your IEMs feel terrible in your ears :D

I'm now considering selling off my U18t in order to fund a VE8.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back