Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 27, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #5,341 of 5,717
20220827_173310.jpg

Sublime pairing!!!😊😊😊

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #5,344 of 5,717
Just tried different ear tips with the EXT and ended up with the CP155 and my N8ii.
I used the Azla short lights before. But with the CP155s, this is so damn good. I’m a little bit speechless. Powerful, natural, defined. The bass could be slightly more textured (compared to my former Indigo). But that’s the only point.

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #5,345 of 5,717
Just tried different ear tips with the EXT and ended up with the CP155 and my N8ii.
I used the Azla short lights before. But with the CP155s, this is so damn good. I’m a little bit speechless. Powerful, natural, defined. The bass could be slightly more textured (compared to my former Indigo). But that’s the only point.

Have you tried the spinfit OG’s? My personal favourite after all of the ones you’ve tried above.

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #5,347 of 5,717
I have salivated over the M9 but have not heard it. Should be a great pairing with EXT.

My take with EXT and DAPS is that the EXT scales up as well as any IEM I have heard. The Phonix in contrast is always the Phonix no matter what. And I love Phonix but it does not change much with different DAPS. Just needs to be a black background (which DX300, and DX300Max provide the best).

EXT scales up with the quality of DAP. It is fine with R6 2020 and gets better with DX300 and really really really shines with DX300 Max.

EXT scales up so well with power. That is part of the reason, along with the quality of the DAP, that is works well with DX300Max.

Also sings with FiiO M17. I think the quality of the sound is better from DX300Max but the power the M17 provides does the EXT good. I just did not like 2 ohms out of 4.4mm with the M17. Great for HP but took away clarity or something with IEMs.

I just got the Hiby RS6. I am loving the "analogue" sound and the mids/vocals focus of the RS6 (with a slight bass bump for her and my pleasure).

A friend has my EXT at the moment so I look forward to trying EXT with the RS6. I have a feeling I might feel the compromise in power but the added emotiveness of the RS6 might work ok with the rather emotive sound of the EXT. We will see.

The EXT really takes time to figure out. It is more complex than I ever thought even after months of listening to it.
Quoting this post as it seems to be closest to my scenario.
I have a RS6 which I paired previously with some EE Odin but while it was technically sublime I couldn't stand the upper mids and relatively dry mids.
Sold Odin and got some Vision Ears EXT plus some Shanling M9 as it was told to be a very good pairing.
M9 isn't yet fully burned in but my impressions so far are very much in favor of RS6.
While both are on the warm side I feel M9 to be overly smooth and bass bleeding into the midrange depending on the mix plus vocals being somehow recessed (also supported by the U shape signature of EXT).
RS6 on the other hand seems to render the scene more accurately with tighter bass and vocals being more pronounced so these are not drowning in the engaging bassline and instrumental accompaniment.
Not sure if M9 will improve with further burn in, however I ve been wondering if I should better improve an (for my ears optimal) setup of RS6 and EXT by adding some Cayin C9 instead of M9.
Anyone else tried that setup?

2nd question in that context is how you rate such a combo of a "higher midfi" DAP like RS6 combined with C9 vs a TOTL DAP like M9 or DX300 Max.
I mean the amp part is scaling with C9 (maybe even over the big amps inside of TOTL DAPs) but how does that synergize with the DAP part?
Will for example "mediocre" DNR specs of RS6 (which are btw typical for R2R devices besides the likes of e.g Holo Audio implementations) scale when pairing some C9?
Thx!

Btw I ve also tried EXT on my big T&A-HA200 with and without Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE but still prefer RS6.
I assume synergy topic again plus these desktop amps aren't always suited for IEMs (e.g due to higher output impedance)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #5,348 of 5,717
hi can i ask what is the inner diameter of the erlkonig, and for this gem iem which I will keep for a long time, I want to find which meshes could fit it, in case I need them, hope someone can help, I see alot being offered on aliexpress

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5,349 of 5,717
hi can i ask what is the inner diameter of the erlkonig, and for this gem iem which I will keep for a long time, I want to find which meshes could fit it, in case I need them, hope someone can help, I see alot being offered on aliexpress

Hi @Sound Eq,
the easiest would be to address VE directly and ask for the mesh for Erlkönig. After I had bought my Erlkönig LE I asked about the spare mesh and was kindly told, I could be sure that I would "always" be able to get this mesh as spare part from VE.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #5,350 of 5,717
I am a late new owner of the Vision Ears Erlkönig, really amazed of it, have no issues with weight or anything and prefer it over my 64 Audio U12t.
Now I am thinking about an upgrade cable, do anyone have a recommendation for me?
Thanks in advance and all the best,
phila

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #5,352 of 5,717
I am a late new owner of the Vision Ears Erlkönig, really amazed of it, have no issues with weight or anything and prefer it over my 64 Audio U12t.
Now I am thinking about an upgrade cable, do anyone have a recommendation for me?
phila
The LE version I have came with a silver cable. You may want to look in that direction. I have also heard others like the PW 1950’s with it. I have not tried that yet myself.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,353 of 5,717
phila
I’ve seen recommendations on here for the PWA 1950’s as that seems to pair well with the Erlkonig.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #5,354 of 5,717
phila
While I recently sold my Erkly LE, my favorite pairing with it was a pure silver cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back