Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 17, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #3,196 of 5,715
I'm new to the whole VE brand and I'm really interested in this new EXT after all the impression. Could someone compare them to JH sound for me? Either Layla or Roxanne comparison will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,197 of 5,715
I'm new to the whole VE brand and I'm really interested in this new EXT after all the impression. Could someone compare them to JH sound for me? Either Layla or Roxanne comparison will be greatly appreciated.
I do not have an Ext, but I do have the Elysium, VE-8 and Erlkonig from VE along with the JH Layla. I feel VE is a step above. The Layla can be a great IEM, but VE provides a better timbre and superior mids. The Layla has the bass adjustment, but I still prefer all 3 of my VE’s to it. The bass is tighter on the VE’s and I am sure the Ext will continue in that same path.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3,198 of 5,715
I do not have an Ext, but I do have the Elysium, VE-8 and Erlkonig from VE along with the JH Layla. I feel VE is a step above. The Layla can be a great IEM, but VE provides a better timbre and superior mids. The Layla has the bass adjustment, but I still prefer all 3 of my VE’s to it. The bass is tighter on the VE’s and I am sure the Ext will continue in that same path.
Thank you very much for replying. My iem are Layla and Fitear togo334. So I’ve been looking for a clear upgrade for those two. Then after I read that many people praise so much about Elysian. Then EXT was announced. LOL I was so excited and deciding the purchase here.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #3,199 of 5,715
Thank you very much for replying. My iem are Layla and Fitear togo334. So I’ve been looking for a clear upgrade for those two. Then after I read that many people praise so much about Elysian. Then EXT was announced. LOL I was so excited and deciding the purchase here.
Between the Elysian X and EXT (both have elevated subbass with relatively thin mids and good treble extension), X for me is a much cleaner implementation and also the one that I would tend to recommend.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #3,200 of 5,715
Between the Elysian X and EXT (both have elevated subbass with relatively thin mids and good treble extension), X for me is a much cleaner implementation and also the one that I would tend to recommend.
Thin mids on the EXT? I found it to be one of the thickest sounding monitors I've tried of late, and the midbass on it is pretty fat too, the Elysian X off memory had a pretty much perfectly opposite signature

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #3,201 of 5,715
Thin mids on the EXT? I found it to be one of the thickest sounding monitors I've tried of late, and the midbass on it is pretty fat too, the Elysian X off memory had a pretty much perfectly opposite signature

It doesn't sound full at all to me. Also from previous impressions by TW listeners:
Notes feel leaner compared to PHöNIX.
EXT's notes have a beautiful timbre but don't sound full enough for his preference.
Some also mentioned the overwhelming bass and edgy upper mids.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #3,202 of 5,715
It doesn't sound full at all to me. Also from previous impressions by TW listeners:

Woah I could not have experienced it any more differently - of everything I'd associate with the EXT, edgy upper mids is at the absolute bottom of the list haha - if anything I found it too smooth for my taste

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,203 of 5,715
Hi fellas, I believe I may have a hair line crack on one of the 2pin holes on my VE8 uni iems, possibly from plugging and unplugging a very tight 2pin plug (Dita OSLO).. is this a common thing with acrylic/resin iems shells? Should I be worried about it at all?

Attachments

• Polish_20211018_201101277.jpg
    Polish_20211018_201101277.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #3,204 of 5,715
Woah I could not have experienced it any more differently - of everything I'd associate with the EXT, edgy upper mids is at the absolute bottom of the list haha - if anything I found it too smooth for my taste
@uckexk
I would say the EXT's mids are dryer than the Erkly, but I certainly would not call the EXT's mids thin by any means. Very full, with beautiful layering and detail.
I would also agree with @mvvRAZ that I don't hear the EXT to have edgy upper mids at all, and I'm particularly sensitive to that area of the FR.
We all hear things differently, of course!

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,206 of 5,715
Hi fellas, I believe I may have a hair line crack on one of the 2pin holes on my VE8 uni iems, possibly from plugging and unplugging a very tight 2pin plug (Dita OSLO).. is this a common thing with acrylic/resin iems shells? Should I be worried about it at all?
I’ve had that happen on quite a few of my IEMs, and the OSLO’s plugs are some of the thickest (or furthest apart between the two pins), so I’m not surprised at that. Some of my IEMs have even come that way out of the box. :D It’s completely normal, and I haven’t run into any issues because of it.

The EXT’s thickness comes more from its mid-bass to my ears, so to say its low-mids aren’t prominent would technically be true. Though, I’d still say they’re very natural, and the mid-bass elevation adds to it as well, so I wouldn’t call it thin, personally. But, as everyone’s said, everyone hears differently, and the EXT’s more-specifically-contoured silhouette may cause those variations to be even larger from one person to the next too.

Just saw on VE’s Instagram a batch of EXT seems to be shipping out today
Haha! I was just about to post a screenshot and tag you. :D

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,208 of 5,715
Taken from their FB… lots of stuff going on inside there 😱

927AAB71-A472-4DD4-A34A-0807F6E47B38.jpeg
Indeed. Around the canal bend - which, on most other IEMs, usually only has sound tubes and air - is where they’ve stuffed those quad e-stats. It’s insane, and I can understand why - acoustical issues aside - they wouldn’t have been able to make this a custom without making it Jolene-sized.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,210 of 5,715
Great news about the EXT hopefully the Phonix won't be far behind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back