Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,266 of 5,717
I think Effect Audio's Virtuoso fits your description best. It's my favourite alternative for their stock cable too. They have a black-sleeved version up on their website now: https://www.effectaudio.com/vogue-series/virtuoso-black.html
Thanks very much for the recommendation - will try this one out.

I'm a big fan of the Symbio W Peels as well, but for the Erlky, these are my favorite: https://eartune.com/collections/shop/products/eartune-fidelity-u?variant=35577333842086

By far the most comfortable and have a more transparent and airy sound vs. Symbio. Symbios may give you more bass quantity but these really open up the sound to the max on the Erlky.
Hm. I don't see a multi-size pack option or any measurements on their website. A brief search leads me to believe that they run small. That true?

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,267 of 5,717
Treble on Ely was a bit harsh sometimes for certain of my music records.

That's why I wish I could listen Ely one more with proper power source.
Femal vocals can sound a bit harsh on poor recordings. Perhaps you just needed to try different recordings. It has an extended treble, not an overly smooth treble, so Adel for example on “Hello” can get sibilant at times. This is really the recording and not the Ely’s fault. The Luna, for example, will smooth this out for you, as it goes for smooth upper mids and treble. I would never characterize the Ely as harsh overall though. The Erlk will also show this on Adel’s recording of Hello as will the VE-8. Tks.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,268 of 5,717
Femal vocals can sound a bit harsh on poor recordings. Perhaps you just needed to try different recordings. It has an extended treble, not an overly smooth treble, so Adel for example on “Hello” can get sibilant at times. This is really the recording and not the Ely’s fault. The Luna, for example, will smooth this out for you, as it goes for smooth upper mids and treble. I would never characterize the Ely as harsh overall though. The Erlk will also show this on Adel’s recording of Hello as will the VE-8. Tks.
Unfortunately, for how incredible a vast majority of her songs are, Adele's records tend to be produced/mixed/mastered pretty oddly. 21, for example, sounds hollow and compressed, and the same goes for quite a few on 25. Going from A Million Years Ago to All I Ask is almost jarring, because the former is beautifully-recorded with lots of body and dynamic range, only to be followed by the latter's intense compression. Again, it's a shame. Hopefully, this won't be the case for her future work.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,269 of 5,717
LX .. not sure many IEMs can touch it for its masterfulness for EDM

I would say that's probably more true for hip hop than EDM (ymmv, of course). I actually preferred the more restrained, tighter, denser (but equally well extended) bass of the Solaris to the LX for much of the electronic I listen to. That was ultimately my preferred genre for the Solaris while i had it. Suffice to say the Ely more than delivers (somewhat surprisingly, though this is probably greatly amplified by the skill and amplification of the M8) in its low end for the vast majority of the EDM I listen to (or I probably would have not been willing to part with the Solaris).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2,270 of 5,717
I would say that's probably more true for hip hop than EDM (ymmv, of course). I actually preferred the more restrained, tighter, denser (but equally well extended) bass of the Solaris to the LX for much of the electronic I listen to. That was ultimately my preferred genre for the Solaris while i had it. Suffice to say the Ely more than delivers (somewhat surprisingly, though this is probably greatly amplified by the skill and amplification of the M8) in its low end for the vast majority of the EDM I listen to (or I probably would have not been willing to part with the Solaris).

It's funny that I still come across the occasion "bass light" comments about the Elysium but with the M8 I can't even imagine that.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,271 of 5,717
It's funny that I still come across the occasion "bass light" comments about the Elysium but with the M8 I can't even imagine that.

Nope. M8 is ideally tuned to bring out the most from Ely's low end.

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,273 of 5,717
Preparing to demo/purchase elysium this weekend. Anything i should take note off in terms of universal vs customs?

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #2,275 of 5,717
Preparing to demo/purchase elysium this weekend. Anything i should take note off in terms of universal vs customs?
If you fall in love with the sound and the fit, get the universal. If you love the sound, but not the fit, order a custom. There is really no customization advantage to the look as VE provides the same look to both if desired. You can get the custom with more of a blue background though if you wish. The universal will also be easier to sell should you wish to trade up in the future.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #2,276 of 5,717
A few Ely observations so far. Really slender design. Haven’t encountered an iem shell before that’s as gracefully shaped, contoured. Also, nozzles have taken well to all the tips I’ve tried so far. And a good fit each time.
Question, please—does anyone find sound changes noticeably over time? If so, in what way(s)? Thanks

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,277 of 5,717
A few Ely observations so far. Really slender design. Haven’t encountered an iem shell before that’s as gracefully shaped, contoured. Also, nozzles have taken well to all the tips I’ve tried so far. And a good fit each time.
Question, please—does anyone find sound changes noticeably over time? If so, in what way(s)? Thanks

Hard to say. I've definitely grown more and more fond of the sound in the two months I've had them but it's hard to say how much of this is due to Elysium burning in, or my DAP burning in, or the new cable I got ect. etc.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #2,279 of 5,717
feels easy, unusually for me, to share an early impression of Ely because it sounds quite cohesive, balanced, controlled (without being dull), and lends itself to feeling familiar as the soundfield is not huge, without disparate frequency contrasts; neither especially smooth nor sharp overall. not a ‘wow’ experience for me, given that astonishment is thrilling but tends to be misleading.
Balanced, m6pro, turbo gain. Volume never above thirty. Spirals ++.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,280 of 5,717
feels easy, unusually for me, to share an early impression of Ely because it sounds quite cohesive, balanced, controlled (without being dull), and lends itself to feeling familiar as the soundfield is not huge, without disparate frequency contrasts; neither especially smooth nor sharp overall. not a ‘wow’ experience for me, given that astonishment is thrilling but tends to be misleading.
Balanced, m6pro, turbo gain. Volume never above thirty. Spirals ++.
That’s a good description of how I felt. It’s not an iem that necessarily draws attention to itself. My “wow” moment was tha instrument textures and timbres sounded more real than I had ever heard. The wow came from the music then by extension the Elysium... and still does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back