Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,131 of 5,715
Headfonics' Top Reader Voted Earphones list is actually quite good and pound for pound one of the better ranking lists out there all things considered. All hail Ely. :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,132 of 5,715
Headfonics' Top Reader Voted Earphones list is actually quite good and pound for pound one of the better ranking lists out there all things considered. All hail Ely. :)
On that I have to disagree. Obviously this is all my subjective opinion. That said, I can fully understand Ely as position 1, but Layla at 2 and VE-8 at 19. I consider the VE-8 ahead of the Layla ( I do have both ). Most reader votes are usually not the best as many people read and vote or only own 1 or 2 and it becomes a popularity contest.

I prefer to hear what you and other reviewers favor while I learn your preferences. Then I can better create a shortlist to consider as I have a better chance of knowing why you liked or disliked an IEM. Your personal preferences and lists will always be of more value to me than an anonymous list ( not that I don’t also look ). Tks.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,133 of 5,715
On that I have to disagree. Obviously this is all my subjective opinion. That said, I can fully understand Ely as position 1, but Layla at 2 and VE-8 at 19. I consider the VE-8 ahead of the Layla ( I do have both ). Most reader votes are usually not the best as many people read and vote or only own 1 or 2 and it becomes a popularity contest.

I prefer to hear what you and other reviewers favor while I learn your preferences. Then I can better create a shortlist to consider as I have a better chance of knowing why you liked or disliked an IEM. Your personal preferences and lists will always be of more value to me than an anonymous list ( not that I don’t also look ). Tks.

All fair points. Admittedly my post was primarily motivated by my elation at Ely in the number 1 slot (and the SE Solaris prominently featured as well).

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,135 of 5,715
Yeah, they must have gotten the Solaris wrong as well!!!!! Ha!!!

Only in that it could have been higher. I would take the SE over any IEM on that list not named Ely.

Time for another music recommendation. Tks.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,136 of 5,715
IMG-20210217-WA0000.jpg

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,137 of 5,715
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,138 of 5,715
Hey, I just saw this thread and it brought back some memories. I used to own a Rhines Stage 7 back in the day, maybe circa 2015 or so. They were one of the best IEMs I've heard and owned. After seeing this thread, I tried looking for what Rhines was doing right now, and I couldn't find any info about them anymore. Anyone can let me know if they are still in business? Did they become Vision Ears?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,139 of 5,715

Sweet! Looking forward to more pics and impressions.

In other news I'm very close to finishing the ascent to my personal summit by snagging a Leo II Octa for my Elysium.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,141 of 5,715
Hey, I just saw this thread and it brought back some memories. I used to own a Rhines Stage 7 back in the day, maybe circa 2015 or so. They were one of the best IEMs I've heard and owned. After seeing this thread, I tried looking for what Rhines was doing right now, and I couldn't find any info about them anymore. Anyone can let me know if they are still in business? Did they become Vision Ears?

If I remember correctly, Rhines and VE were Compact Monitors at one point, before they split off and became those two respective companies. They have no relations apart from previously working together. Last I heard, Rhines was gearing up for the release of an 8-driver called the Athena, I believe. But, now I can't seem to access Rhines's website, and they haven't posted anything on social media in quite a while. So, it does look like they've moved on, unfortunately.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,143 of 5,715
Thanks Buddy, unfortunately I am only free to collect this weekends(my dealer send me this image in the midst of my hectic work schedule) so sad😭😭😭

:grimacing:

rouggghhhh.

it will be worth the wait, though!

:ksc75smile:

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,144 of 5,715
If I remember correctly, Rhines and VE were Compact Monitors at one point, before they split off and became those two respective companies. They have no relations apart from previously working together. Last I heard, Rhines was gearing up for the release of an 8-driver called the Athena, I believe. But, now I can't seem to access Rhines's website, and they haven't posted anything on social media in quite a while. So, it does look like they've moved on, unfortunately.

The last thing I heard was that the company is insolvent. Not sure if it's related to the pandemic or not.

Luckily I got my repairs and wood faceplate done shortly before they supposedly shut down.

I read somewhere that VE supposedly will service Rhines Customs monitors for money although anybody that needs this should verify this directly with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back