Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #5,883 of 5,963
Mine is waiting for me when I get home. :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #5,884 of 5,963
Nice, please post any impressions when you get your V281 set up, thanks

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #5,885 of 5,963
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #5,886 of 5,963
First impressions:

Great formfactor. Very solidly built. Buttons and knobs feel wonderful and of high quality. Sound is phenomenal!

Only complaint is that when turning the volume wheel, there is a subtle static/clicking/crackle. Not sure how to describe it, but is most audible from highly resolving headphones like the HE1000 Stealth. But I can also hear it, though to a lesser degree, from my powered speakers.

At first I thought it was because I was using the power cable from my NFB-28, which this is replacing. But after installing the Violectric cable, nothing changed. It is an unpleasant sound, though I doubt it will ruin the overall experience.

Violectric_V281_01.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #5,887 of 5,963
First impressions:

Great formfactor. Very solidly built. Buttons and knobs feels wonderful and quality. Sound is phenomenal!

Only complaint is that when turning the volume wheel, there is a subtle static/clicking/crackle. Not sure how to describe it, but is most audible from highly resolving headphones like the HE1000 Stealth. But I can also hear it, though to a lesser degree, from my powered speakers.

At first I thought it was because I was using the power cable from my NFB-28, which this is replacing. But after installing the Violectric cable, nothing changed. It is an unpleasant sound, though I doubt it will ruin the overall experience.

Glad you're happy with it other than that one caveat. Perhaps after it cycles a few times that sound will diminish or go away. Do you find you have enough adjustments for volume? I think it said 128 steps but I'm not sure. I'm a fanatic for getting just the exact sound level I'm after using it as a preamp in my stereo room. Would apply for headphones too I think

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #5,888 of 5,963
Only complaint is that when turning the volume wheel, there is a subtle static/clicking/crackle.
Same here. This static noise is different from the old v281 motorized. On the old one, you could reduce the crackling moving by rotating the volume knob multiple times (max to min and vice versa). Tried on the v281 LE still the same.

20240418_192506.jpg

20240418_192528.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #5,889 of 5,963
Glad you're happy with it other than that one caveat. Perhaps after it cycles a few times that sound will diminish or go away. Do you find you have enough adjustments for volume? I think it said 128 steps but I'm not sure. I'm a fanatic for getting just the exact sound level I'm after using it as a preamp in my stereo room. Would apply for headphones too I think
I think there's plenty of steps. But this thing has so much power, that even at -18db the HE1000 Stealth barely hits 9:30, even on quiet albums. I could turn on the -6db switch as well, but then I get too close to maxing out the volume wheel for my Emotiva monitors.

On another topic. I swear to God I'm hearing new things in Dunedin Consort - Mozart: Requiem (Reconstruction of first performance 24/192).

I'm hearing the turning of pages VERY clearly, and am I crazy, or does someone sneeze in one of the first few tracks?

I've listened to this recording many, many times, and never noticed these things. I'm sure if I looked really hard, I could hear them on the NFB-28, but they are unmistakable from the V281. So much resolution! :L3000:

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #5,890 of 5,963
So the crackling part is normal per Arthur, apparently just nature of the beast for the relay used.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #5,891 of 5,963
Hi everybody.
I am happy that V281-LE is now delivered to the customers.
There had been lots of delays during production and delivery.

But it still seems that there are some complaints about the 128-step reed-relay volume control.

Like before inside the "old" V281 with the 128-step relay attenuator option, the volume control of V281-LE offers 128 steps of 0,8 dB each, but now it is made with reed-relays. And it is no option anymore but always part of the amp.
The reed-relay attenuator offers the advantage of reduced noise while in action and lower hearable “glitches”.
Also, because reed-relays are much faster than standard relays, now all 128 steps are active – whether this is reasonable for low volumes or not …
The standard relay version of the “old” V281 combined several steps at lower volumes in order to reduce switching action and switching noise.

Here (again) some words about the working principles:

The advantages of a system like this are that there is definitely no channel mismatch between the left and right channel.
This is because the 128 attenuation steps are made with very low tolerance resistors, tolerance is 1% or 0.1 %.
So, best channel balance is maintained even with lowest volume settings.
A "normal" potentiometer will show growing channel mismatch with lower volumes.

The crosstalk between left and right is dramatically minimized compared to “normal” Potentiometers.
This is because the circuits for the left and right channel can be separated from each other in a better way than it can be made with "normal" potentiometers.

There will never be some scratching noise known from old or cheap manufactured potentiometers.
This is because there are no large carbon surfaces from "normal" potentiometers which will suffer from aging or worn-out carbon surfaces.

There are audible enhancements for a relay attenuator compared to "normal" potentiometers.
This is because there is only a voltage divider made of two two resistors active at a time instead of the large carbon resistor area with a slider on it of a "normal" potentiometer.

But: no light without a shadow.

During turning the volume knob from left to right, 128 switching actions for the left channel and 128 switching actions for the right channel will take place.
These switchings can be quite loud for standard relays ("old" V281) but this noise is much lower when using reed relays (V281-LE, Violectric V550, V590, Niimbus amps).
A reed relay features its switching contact in a small glass tube filled with protective gas. The switching action is forced by a magnetic field.
Unfortunately, a reed relay only allows for single throw action. For volume attenuation a double throw action is needed which is quite normal for standard relays.
So, a double throw action with reed relays needs two contacs, one of them NO (normally open), the other NC (normally closed).

Additionally, there are always small amounts of DC current part of the signal.
This DC current together with the action of the switches causes little clicks or glitches when revolving the volume knob.
They will disappear instantly when the spinning has stopped.

We think that these issues are acceptable for a technical and audible outstanding volume control with many advantages over standard approaches.

There are many positive customer opinions about the 128-step volume control from the old (and noisy) Violectric HPA V281 in this thread and the 256-step volume control from Niimbus US 4+ and US 5 Pro, as well as positive opinions from Violectric HPA V550 PRO and DHA V590 PRO concerning the sonic improvements versus the standard volume control.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #5,892 of 5,963
Just on the subject of the V281s. is the remote control w/ 128 stage step relay worth it , ? 500 Euro.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #5,893 of 5,963
Hi everybody.
I am happy that V281-LE is now delivered to the customers.
There had been lots of delays during production and delivery.

But it still seems that there are some complaints about the 128-step reed-relay volume control.

Like before inside the "old" V281 with the 128-step relay attenuator option, the volume control of V281-LE offers 128 steps of 0,8 dB each, but now it is made with reed-relays. And it is no option anymore but always part of the amp.
The reed-relay attenuator offers the advantage of reduced noise while in action and lower hearable “glitches”.
Also, because reed-relays are much faster than standard relays, now all 128 steps are active – whether this is reasonable for low volumes or not …
The standard relay version of the “old” V281 combined several steps at lower volumes in order to reduce switching action and switching noise.

Here (again) some words about the working principles:

The advantages of a system like this are that there is definitely no channel mismatch between the left and right channel.
This is because the 128 attenuation steps are made with very low tolerance resistors, tolerance is 1% or 0.1 %.
So, best channel balance is maintained even with lowest volume settings.
A "normal" potentiometer will show growing channel mismatch with lower volumes.

The crosstalk between left and right is dramatically minimized compared to “normal” Potentiometers.
This is because the circuits for the left and right channel can be separated from each other in a better way than it can be made with "normal" potentiometers.

There will never be some scratching noise known from old or cheap manufactured potentiometers.
This is because there are no large carbon surfaces from "normal" potentiometers which will suffer from aging or worn-out carbon surfaces.

There are audible enhancements for a relay attenuator compared to "normal" potentiometers.
This is because there is only a voltage divider made of two two resistors active at a time instead of the large carbon resistor area with a slider on it of a "normal" potentiometer.

But: no light without a shadow.

During turning the volume knob from left to right, 128 switching actions for the left channel and 128 switching actions for the right channel will take place.
These switchings can be quite loud for standard relays ("old" V281) but this noise is much lower when using reed relays (V281-LE, Violectric V550, V590, Niimbus amps).
A reed relay features its switching contact in a small glass tube filled with protective gas. The switching action is forced by a magnetic field.
Unfortunately, a reed relay only allows for single throw action. For volume attenuation a double throw action is needed which is quite normal for standard relays.
So, a double throw action with reed relays needs two contacs, one of them NO (normally open), the other NC (normally closed).

Additionally, there are always small amounts of DC current part of the signal.
This DC current together with the action of the switches causes little clicks or glitches when revolving the volume knob.
They will disappear instantly when the spinning has stopped.

We think that these issues are acceptable for a technical and audible outstanding volume control with many advantages over standard approaches.

There are many positive customer opinions about the 128-step volume control from the old (and noisy) Violectric HPA V281 in this thread and the 256-step volume control from Niimbus US 4+ and US 5 Pro, as well as positive opinions from Violectric HPA V550 PRO and DHA V590 PRO concerning the sonic improvements versus the standard volume control.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. It's good to know that my one complaint with this unit is at least aiding in making the V281 sound its best. And good lord, does it sound SPECTACULAR!

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #5,894 of 5,963
I received my V281 yesterday. I left it on all night playing music to burn it in a little.

It's really good. I also hear the noise of the volume pot but I don't mind. I use a Freya S pre-amp anyways.

Compared to the clone, the real V281 is better, but the clone has about 80% of the sound quality of V281. The Real V281 has more features though and did come fully assembled lol...

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #5,895 of 5,963
Just on the subject of the V281s. is the remote control w/ 128 stage step relay worth it , ? 500 Euro.
As the owner of an original V281, I would have to answer "yes" for good reasons:
  • I listen to low-volume streaming classical music ~12 hrs/day, have done so for years
  • My main system, for which the V281 is my preferred preamp, has always had gain issues, which compelled me to knock down the gain of both headphone & preamp outputs of the V281 (by -12 dB)
  • Those gain issues recently got a bit worse when I installed a pair of mono speaker amps with somewhat more gain than the previous stereo amp
  • As a result, I've always operated the V281 very low on the big volume pot's counterclockwise rotation, ~8:00 on the dial, sometimes a bit less
  • This would not work as well w/a standard, non-stepped pot. With the 128-stepped pot of my V281, the channel balance and tracking are exactly the same wherever the dial's rotation is set
  • I do hear a moderate degree of switching noise when changing volume, but it's low volume and benign in nature. More than anything else, it sounds like an old-school platter-type hard driver searching for data. I never hear that sound via the headphone or speaker outputs--only as ambient sound in the room
  • Beyond all that, I need volume control for the preamp in this system (whichever component I use for that purpose) because it's just out of reach
If the reissue (which arrived but I haven't yet unpacked) operates at least as well as my OG V281, I will be a very happy camper... I will likely experiment with the reissue's new -18 dB gain setting on the preamp output, which could prove a godsend IMS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back