Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #5,956 of 5,991
Thanks for the reply! I think it may just be low-impedance headphones.

This is what I've tried so far:
- The sound comes when I completely plug the headphone jack (1/4 inch) all the way into the amp (click).
- The amp is quiet when using the 4.4 mm or XLR.
- I've tried four different single-ended headphones, but the same issue persists.
- I've tried using four different 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapters, but the issue remains with all four adapters.
- I've tried two different cables, but the issue persists.
- I've tried adjusting the dip switches on the back and tried both +12 and -12 on both channels, but the buzzing sound persisted. Changing the dip switches doesn't affect the buzzing volume level.
- I've tried using the XLR inputs on the back as well as the RCA inputs, and even with no input cable connected, the buzzing persisted, which means the amp, power cable, and headphones are the only components present.
- The buzzing disappears when I mute the Headphones out. If I mute the headphones, the buzzing disappears (no sound on headphones). Adjusting the volume wheel doesn't affect the buzzing; it remains at the same level.
- Adjusting the balance wheel doesn't affect the buzzing; it remains at the same level.
- I've tried connecting the amp to a different wall plug, but the issue persists.
- I've tried a different power cable, but the issue still persists.
You have tried a lot. I wish I were an engineer and could give you something else to try. Can you hear the buzzing with music playing? I don't see that on hear. What gain do you keep the amp on for normal listening?

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #5,957 of 5,991
You have tried a lot. I wish I were an engineer and could give you something else to try. Can you hear the buzzing with music playing? I don't see that on hear. What gain do you keep the amp on for normal listening?
I don't hear buzzing when playing music, only when the songs get quiet. I keep the volume at 0 on the back Volume wheel from 9-12.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #5,958 of 5,991
Is your goal to keep the volume pot between 9 and 12 with all headphones?

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #5,960 of 5,991
I keep the amp at -6db gain on the switches on the back. I was using 0db, but found that my D8k Pro was below 10 on the volume pot. So, at -6db I have all headphones between 11 and 1, which works perfectly for me. I mostly use XLR output, but am now trying SE so I know the difference. The sound is a bit different.

I think the sound is cleaner balanced. I hear less dynamics. Percentage points, but the sound doesn't snap in the same way. Plus, I find the bass a bit more bloomy thru the SE.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #5,961 of 5,991
No, I'm using the hd800s at the moment. I did try -12db and volume 11-1 with the dt770 pro x the buzzing remained the same.
The buzzing is smarter than me

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #5,962 of 5,991
I keep the amp at -6db gain on the switches on the back. I was using 0db, but found that my D8k Pro was below 10 on the volume pot. So, at -6db I have all headphones between 11 and 1, which works perfectly for me. I mostly use XLR output, but am now trying SE so I know the difference. The sound is a bit different.

I think the sound is cleaner balanced. I hear less dynamics. Percentage points, but the sound doesn't snap in the same way. Plus, I find the bass a bit more bloomy thru the SE.
I may be wrong, but with this new volume control, there shouldn't be an issue with having the volume dial set below 11. I haven't done any critical listening while feeding the amp with RCA, but it seems about right. I've found the XLR and RCA sound differences you mentioned with multiple amps I have used in the past

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #5,963 of 5,991
I may be wrong, but with this new volume control, there shouldn't be an issue with having the volume dial set below 11. I haven't done any critical listening while feeding the amp with RCA, but it seems about right. I've found the XLR and RCA sound differences you mentioned with multiple amps I have used in the past
There shouldn't be any issue. Just a matter of preference. Most amps achieve unity around 12-1. Which can lead to better dynamics, but I have never found an amp to not give great sound at 9. In fact, I used to own the Cembalo Spring 1 and that amp was meant to achieve its best sound quality at 9 on the volume pot. So, just depends on the design. I have found that 0db gain was great for all my headphones but my Final D8K Pro. When I went to -6db the soundstage got bigger and the sound became more integrated with that headphone. I also found that I was still at or around 12 on the volume pot with my ZMFs and my HEKv2 non-stealth and Code X. So, -6db seems to be the right gain for my system using XLR inputs into the V281. If I were to switch to RCAs I would go back to 0db of gain.

May 1, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #5,964 of 5,991
Good evening all... I feel like I have to write about the V281 tonight. Not much new to say. Still comparing with my ECAF. Granted, I have a Holy Grail Rectifier, a WE396a, and a pair of 1932 RCA Single Plate 2A3s in my ECAF, so I have the best tubes I can find in this thing. The 2A3s are special, there is something romantic about 90 yr old tubes in my amp. I have some wartime 2A3s that are also great, and just about as special, but they just don't have the subtlety and nuance of the Single Plates. They are close, but there is nothing in the 2A3 world that competes with a good pair of Single Plates. They just have that "it" quality that creates music in the most enticing way. I don't mean this to sound like bragging, because it isn't. Just some context so you know what I am hearing from my ECAF. It took me months to figure out the best combo for this amp with many changes and tubes that I tried in order to find its center.

That being said, the V281 acquits itself quite well against my absolute favorite amp. The V281 has a lot of qualities that would remind anyone of a tube amp. From the tone/timbre to how it presents detail and bass, it is very similar to the Aficionado. There are some differences that are neither good or bad. Just differences. First, the Aficionado is faster. Hard to say that a tube amp is faster, but it is. It also has more clarity in the top end. Attributed mostly to the transformers used and the tertiary windings that gives the amp solid state like speed while maintaining all of the subtleties and nuance of a tube amp. It is decidedly softer in its presentation while being as detailed as any amp I've heard. I love the 2A3 tube. I love that it is so fast, and that it remains firmly ensconced in the DHT family while possessing very different qualities from the 300B and the 205D. Neither of which are very easy to find in NOS form. The pricing is simply astronomical, whereas 2A3s are still relatively affordable for a brand new pair of wartime matched tubes. The Single Plates are more, but not as expensive as the boutique 300Bs. I have heard the Envy and a few other 300B headphone amps and I remain convinced that the 300B is better as a preamp tube or a power amp tube. Headphones don't need that much power and properly implementing the 300B into a headphone amp is not an easy feat. I honestly didn't like the Envy, even hooked to a Lina DAC and Clock. I found it to be not to my taste. Even though I know that I was listening to $28,000 plus in audio gear, it just wasn't a sound that grabbed me by the nape of the neck. The 2A3 still provides so much of what makes people fall in love with DHT tubes. And the Single Plates are the king of 2A3s. Maybe only the Raytheon 2A3H compares. And those are next to impossible to find.

Back to the V281. While the ECAF is faster and has more nuance, the V281 counters with incredible dynamics, and really beautiful tone. It is powerful and the sounds emanating from the 281 deserve to be heard. Vocals aren't as emotional, but instruments are. Music sounds wonderful out of the V281. I do believe it sounds better out of the XLR output, but it still sounds great with a 1/4" cable. It is just not quite as clean or dynamic. But, YMMV as always. The V281 only has one thing at this point that annoys me. The lights. I can't stand them. With my lights off in my listening room and only a subtle lamp, the V281 lights up my listening room/office. I have less issue with the yellow and orange lights. The blue drives me nuts. It is so strong. That being said, if this is all that I can find that I don't like after 4 full days of listening, I am off to a strong start.

The V281 is such a welcome respite to my everyday listening and even more welcome back into the audiophile fold. It is an amp that deserves to be made and heard. I have heard other Violectric amps, and none of them have the same je ne sais quoi. The Umami that brings together and makes things taste whole. The combination that chef's strive to achieve which means simply "delicious and savory". The V281 personifies the term Umami and that means only one thing to a jaded chef. It must be heard!

It is very hard to compare a tube amp to a solid state amp because if I had to choose I would choose my ECAF every day of the week. But, that doesn't mean the V281 is doing anything wrong. It is just a matter of taste... My ECAF won't measure as well. It won't objectively be a better amp. But, I live in a world of grey and what I hear from both amps is worth the money and time.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #5,965 of 5,991
Good evening all... I feel like I have to write about the V281 tonight. Not much new to say. Still comparing with my ECAF. Granted, I have a Holy Grail Rectifier, a WE396a, and a pair of 1932 RCA Single Plate 2A3s in my ECAF, so I have the best tubes I can find in this thing. The 2A3s are special, there is something romantic about 90 yr old tubes in my amp. I have some wartime 2A3s that are also great, and just about as special, but they just don't have the subtlety and nuance of the Single Plates. They are close, but there is nothing in the 2A3 world that competes with a good pair of Single Plates. They just have that "it" quality that creates music in the most enticing way. I don't mean this to sound like bragging, because it isn't. Just some context so you know what I am hearing from my ECAF. It took me months to figure out the best combo for this amp with many changes and tubes that I tried in order to find its center.

That being said, the V281 acquits itself quite well against my absolute favorite amp. The V281 has a lot of qualities that would remind anyone of a tube amp. From the tone/timbre to how it presents detail and bass, it is very similar to the Aficionado. There are some differences that are neither good or bad. Just differences. First, the Aficionado is faster. Hard to say that a tube amp is faster, but it is. It also has more clarity in the top end. Attributed mostly to the transformers used and the tertiary windings that gives the amp solid state like speed while maintaining all of the subtleties and nuance of a tube amp. It is decidedly softer in its presentation while being as detailed as any amp I've heard. I love the 2A3 tube. I love that it is so fast, and that it remains firmly ensconced in the DHT family while possessing very different qualities from the 300B and the 205D. Neither of which are very easy to find in NOS form. The pricing is simply astronomical, whereas 2A3s are still relatively affordable for a brand new pair of wartime matched tubes. The Single Plates are more, but not as expensive as the boutique 300Bs. I have heard the Envy and a few other 300B headphone amps and I remain convinced that the 300B is better as a preamp tube or a power amp tube. Headphones don't need that much power and properly implementing the 300B into a headphone amp is not an easy feat. I honestly didn't like the Envy, even hooked to a Lina DAC and Clock. I found it to be not to my taste. Even though I know that I was listening to $28,000 plus in audio gear, it just wasn't a sound that grabbed me by the nape of the neck. The 2A3 still provides so much of what makes people fall in love with DHT tubes. And the Single Plates are the king of 2A3s. Maybe only the Raytheon 2A3H compares. And those are next to impossible to find.

Back to the V281. While the ECAF is faster and has more nuance, the V281 counters with incredible dynamics, and really beautiful tone. It is powerful and the sounds emanating from the 281 deserve to be heard. Vocals aren't as emotional, but instruments are. Music sounds wonderful out of the V281. I do believe it sounds better out of the XLR output, but it still sounds great with a 1/4" cable. It is just not quite as clean or dynamic. But, YMMV as always. The V281 only has one thing at this point that annoys me. The lights. I can't stand them. With my lights off in my listening room and only a subtle lamp, the V281 lights up my listening room/office. I have less issue with the yellow and orange lights. The blue drives me nuts. It is so strong. That being said, if this is all that I can find that I don't like after 4 full days of listening, I am off to a strong start.

The V281 is such a welcome respite to my everyday listening and even more welcome back into the audiophile fold. It is an amp that deserves to be made and heard. I have heard other Violectric amps, and none of them have the same je ne sais quoi. The Umami that brings together and makes things taste whole. The combination that chef's strive to achieve which means simply "delicious and savory". The V281 personifies the term Umami and that means only one thing to a jaded chef. It must be heard!

It is very hard to compare a tube amp to a solid state amp because if I had to choose I would choose my ECAF every day of the week. But, that doesn't mean the V281 is doing anything wrong. It is just a matter of taste... My ECAF won't measure as well. It won't objectively be a better amp. But, I live in a world of grey and what I hear from both amps is worth the money and time.
Excellent comparison. Thanks!

May 1, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #5,966 of 5,991
May 1, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #5,967 of 5,991
The big comparison starts today. I am a/b testing my Mjolnir Pure BiPolar MK2 (the only one ever made) against the V281 using my Hifiman LFF Code X2. My favorite headphone and a headphone that loves current. Its impedance is 50 which outputs 4.2 watts with the V281. More than enough power to adequately drive the Code X2. However, the PB MK2 has +/- 20v rails and outputs between 12 and 13 watts into 50 ohms. The PB is a very smartly designed amp. It has absolutely no drift, which enables it to have the perfect amount of 2nd order harmonic distortion. So, it to has tube like qualities while still being a fully balanced Dynalo circuit. This thing is an engineering marvel and I actually prefer it to my CFA3, which is also buttery smooth and has way too much power, like all CFA3's.

First thing I notice is that gone is the bloom below 500k, and is replaced by super fast, linear and accurate bass with incredible weight and percussive abilities. The V281 is still accurate in how it renders bass, it just has more energy around 100-200hz which gives the amp more bloom and a rounded bass tone. the PB is the exact opposite. It is fast with near perfect decay which gives the pacing a different feel and overall speed. The beauty of this amp is the mind blowing midrange. There is just so much information. In addition, the sound of cymbals crashing is so palpable and they hit, and trail off in the perfect pace. Everything can be heard, and it is the perfect mix of neutrality, musicality and tube like qualities. This amp is a revelation. So, perhaps not a fair comparison as they are so different. Or exactly what one needs to read.

The V281 acquits itself very well. It is warmer, and there is still a flavor to the V281 that I just can't get out of my head. I think that the V281 is a better amp when pairing with my high impedance dynamics. Admittedly, the only high impedance dynamics I own are 3 ZMFs. But they are all 300 ohm and they are all very different in how they present music. The V281 just has a way with my ZMFs that I not sure I would ever want to live without. And it is quite capable with my Code X2. I could live happily with how it handles this headphone. But, when it comes to this headphone, the Pure BiPolar reins supreme. It is a tour de force with headphones that require an enormous amount of current. Whether they need it for loudness or not, the PB has that ability to continue turning up the volume and not getting louder, just fuller and more dynamic until the drivers are properly under control and then the amp starts to get louder.

The V281 does this same thing with my high impedance headphones as well. The ability to fill out the full potential of a driver/headphone before getting too loud. This is a very unique quality that only the best amps possess I am finding. It is something that has become top of mind for me as I listen to different amps. I now look for this quality first. Can it control the drivers without blowing out your brains with volume before getting louder and louder? It doesn't quite have the same driver control with my Code X2, but it isn't far off. So, that is a HUGE win for the V281 as the PB MK2 is one of the best and most unique amps I've ever heard. It is also incredible with my ZMFs, but it doesn't have the timbral colorations of the V281. However, it is equipped with extremely fast slew rates as this amp was tuned to deal with the sudden and off frequency changes of the HD800. A headphone that isn't hard to power, but is extremely hard to power properly. Because of its innate FR complexities, amps with very fast slew rates will always do best with that headphone. ZMFs also fall into this category as well.

So, at this moment I have myself a stand off. Two beautifully built and designed amps that I enjoy with all headphones. That being said, I think the PB wins handily with my harder to drive headphones, and the V281 wins with my high impedance dynamics. That is a win-win for someone like me who likes to find the perfect synergy for each headphone. In the end system synergy wins the day, and is exactly why so many own different amps for different combos. This isn't possible for everyone. We don't all have this ability, and I recognize that. So, if you have to own just one amp, you have to make a choice. One I am not quite ready to say as I still have to compare it to my CFA3 and my Meier Corda Soul Mk2.

Hope this finds you all well... I will start writing less as I head back to work tomorrow. I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you all over the last week. I will continue to, just not every day as I learn a new company and how to swim back up to the surface after being thrown in the deep end. Enjoy the your own listening... In the meantime, enjoy some tunes. This has been what I was listening to as I wrote this...

May 1, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #5,968 of 5,991
The big comparison starts today. I am a/b testing my Mjolnir Pure BiPolar MK2 (the only one ever made) against the V281 using my Hifiman LFF Code X2. My favorite headphone and a headphone that loves current. Its impedance is 50 which outputs 4.2 watts with the V281. More than enough power to adequately drive the Code X2. However, the PB MK2 has +/- 20v rails and outputs between 12 and 13 watts into 50 ohms. The PB is a very smartly designed amp. It has absolutely no drift, which enables it to have the perfect amount of 2nd order harmonic distortion. So, it to has tube like qualities while still being a fully balanced Dynalo circuit. This thing is an engineering marvel and I actually prefer it to my CFA3, which is also buttery smooth and has way too much power, like all CFA3's.

First thing I notice is that gone is the bloom below 500k, and is replaced by super fast, linear and accurate bass with incredible weight and percussive abilities. The V281 is still accurate in how it renders bass, it just has more energy around 100-200hz which gives the amp more bloom and a rounded bass tone. the PB is the exact opposite. It is fast with near perfect decay which gives the pacing a different feel and overall speed. The beauty of this amp is the mind blowing midrange. There is just so much information. In addition, the sound of cymbals crashing is so palpable and they hit, and trail off in the perfect pace. Everything can be heard, and it is the perfect mix of neutrality, musicality and tube like qualities. This amp is a revelation. So, perhaps not a fair comparison as they are so different. Or exactly what one needs to read.

The V281 acquits itself very well. It is warmer, and there is still a flavor to the V281 that I just can't get out of my head. I think that the V281 is a better amp when pairing with my high impedance dynamics. Admittedly, the only high impedance dynamics I own are 3 ZMFs. But they are all 300 ohm and they are all very different in how they present music. The V281 just has a way with my ZMFs that I not sure I would ever want to live without. And it is quite capable with my Code X2. I could live happily with how it handles this headphone. But, when it comes to this headphone, the Pure BiPolar reins supreme. It is a tour de force with headphones that require an enormous amount of current. Whether they need it for loudness or not, the PB has that ability to continue turning up the volume and not getting louder, just fuller and more dynamic until the drivers are properly under control and then the amp starts to get louder.

The V281 does this same thing with my high impedance headphones as well. The ability to fill out the full potential of a driver/headphone before getting too loud. This is a very unique quality that only the best amps possess I am finding. It is something that has become top of mind for me as I listen to different amps. I now look for this quality first. Can it control the drivers without blowing out your brains with volume before getting louder and louder? It doesn't quite have the same driver control with my Code X2, but it isn't far off. So, that is a HUGE win for the V281 as the PB MK2 is one of the best and most unique amps I've ever heard. It is also incredible with my ZMFs, but it doesn't have the timbral colorations of the V281. However, it is equipped with extremely fast slew rates as this amp was tuned to deal with the sudden and off frequency changes of the HD800. A headphone that isn't hard to power, but is extremely hard to power properly. Because of its innate FR complexities, amps with very fast slew rates will always do best with that headphone. ZMFs also fall into this category as well.

So, at this moment I have myself a stand off. Two beautifully built and designed amps that I enjoy with all headphones. That being said, I think the PB wins handily with my harder to drive headphones, and the V281 wins with my high impedance dynamics. That is a win-win for someone like me who likes to find the perfect synergy for each headphone. In the end system synergy wins the day, and is exactly why so many own different amps for different combos. This isn't possible for everyone. We don't all have this ability, and I recognize that. So, if you have to own just one amp, you have to make a choice. One I am not quite ready to say as I still have to compare it to my CFA3 and my Meier Corda Soul Mk2.

Hope this finds you all well... I will start writing less as I head back to work tomorrow. I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you all over the last week. I will continue to, just not every day as I learn a new company and how to swim back up to the surface after being thrown in the deep end. Enjoy the your own listening... In the meantime, enjoy some tunes. This has been what I was listening to as I wrote this...

One last thing. I just didn't listen to Bruce on the keys. That was just the last song while I wrote for 45 minutes or so. I listened to Beck's Morning Phase as well as a live performance of Goose from the Capital Theatre on 4/8/2024, along with Xavier Rudd and The Greyboy Allstars and what I think is their best song, Happy Friends. I have been comparing for the last 3 hrs and it has been blissful...

May 1, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #5,969 of 5,991
One last thing. I just didn't listen to Bruce on the keys. That was just the last song while I wrote for 45 minutes or so. I listened to Beck's Morning Phase as well as a live performance of Goose from the Capital Theatre on 4/8/2024, along with Xavier Rudd and The Greyboy Allstars and what I think is their best song, Happy Friends. I have been comparing for the last 3 hrs and it has been blissful...
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I moved the V281 from -6db gain to 0db gain which mirrors the Pure BiPolar. That way I am getting an accurate test. To give an idea of how much power the PB has, at the same exact volume on my Code X2, volume is at 12 1/2 on the V281 whereas the same volume on the PB is right around 10:30 -11 depending on the recording. When I listen to live performances I turn both up because I want the ambience and all of the recording to come through. I want it to sound like I am standing next to the soundboard. All recordings are FLAC 24/48 or 24/96 patched straight from the soundboard. So, in theory I am hearing what the band is hearing on stage. Love live recordings done well... Especially when they are able to add in the perfect amount of audience to make it a Soundboard Matrix. Those are my favorite, because you are so immersed in the event. I can be there without having to travel to where ever the show is. As much as I'd like to, those days of being a professional concert attender are over. :)

May 1, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #5,970 of 5,991
Mine is settling into its new home today and commencing break in with the Yggy. 👌

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back