Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #5,851 of 5,935
Man, they told me they'd be at the warehouse LAST Thursday. I understand shipping delays, but from my understanding, they were already here in the States when he told me that. Is this all because of that bridge incident?
It's all part of the experience.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #5,852 of 5,935
Just a hypothesis, but perhaps they're testing them individually to make sure nothing got jarred loose during the long trip from Europe. If even one got to a customer DOA the damage to their reputation could be huge. Recently a Toyota truck being tested by the media broke a drive shaft and that news spread around the world. Still being talked about. Either way, I'd be glad they're being handled meticulously rather than thrown into the back of a van for a trip to the UPS store or similar

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #5,853 of 5,935
Just a hypothesis, but perhaps they're testing them individually to make sure nothing got jarred loose during the long trip from Europe. If even one got to a customer DOA the damage to their reputation could be huge. Recently a Toyota truck being tested by the media broke a drive shaft and that news spread around the world. Still being talked about. Either way, I'd be glad they're being handled meticulously rather than thrown into the back of a van for a trip to the UPS store or similar
I agree with you on this.

I actually bought the clone of the V281 off of Aliexpress recently. It came with four unscrewed screws and both the front & back panels were just hanging off. The nuts to hold screws also fell into the amp, so I had to fish those out. It did work, after I finished putting it back together...

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #5,854 of 5,935

I agree with you on this.

I actually bought the clone of the V281 off of Aliexpress recently. It came with four unscrewed screws and both the front & back panels were just hanging off. The nuts to hold screws also fell into the amp, so I had to fish those out. It did work, after I finished putting it back together...

Been following this thread as I would really like to add a V281 to my fleet of amps. This last edition has a near perfect feature set. Problem is this will be the last amp I buy (yea right...) so I am being picky. The new Yamaha is in contention as well. I can get it locally, Yamaha service centre for my country is a 20 minute drive away. The V281 has yet to reach a customer after many delays... and even if tested prior to shipping from the distributor, the real risk is in the last leg of shipping. That is when it is alone as a smallish package perfect for the package kickers at your favourite courier company. If service is needed will it be back to Europe?

The delays are killers in my mind.

Love the driveshaft as an example for damaging a reputation. I dabble in motorcycles (BMW). IIRC a number of years ago a new GS was being introduced to the press and a journalist died as the result of a steering/front end issue at the press release. Lots of bad press, a mod to the bikes, and it remained their best selling model.

How does the clone Aliexpress perform? Have you compared it to the real deal?

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #5,855 of 5,935
Been following this thread as I would really like to add a V281 to my fleet of amps. This last edition has a near perfect feature set. Problem is this will be the last amp I buy (yea right...) so I am being picky. The new Yamaha is in contention as well. I can get it locally, Yamaha service centre for my country is a 20 minute drive away. The V281 has yet to reach a customer after many delays... and even if tested prior to shipping from the distributor, the real risk is in the last leg of shipping. That is when it is alone as a smallish package perfect for the package kickers at your favourite courier company. If service is needed will it be back to Europe?

The delays are killers in my mind.

Love the driveshaft as an example for damaging a reputation. I dabble in motorcycles (BMW). IIRC a number of years ago a new GS was being introduced to the press and a journalist died as the result of a steering/front end issue at the press release. Lots of bad press, a mod to the bikes, and it remained their best selling model.

How does the clone Aliexpress perform? Have you compared it to the real deal?
No, I haven't heard the OG V281. I can compare the re-issue once I get it.

I liked the clone so much, that when I found out about the reissue from this thread, that I bought the re-issue.

I would only suggest getting the clone if you okay with no warranty and no customer service. Also, you may need to finish putting it together.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #5,856 of 5,935
Right on the fence about getting the reissue. I don't currently have a need for the extra RCA inputs but I would like to have them for possible use in the future. I like the external dip switches but I have mine adjusted perfectly now. Only one set of headphones that I have (IEMs) use the 4.4 balanced connection. And even they don't have a long enough cable to reach my listening position indoors, I only use them outdoors. I don't have the stepped attenuator but I have no complaints about the one I already have or the aluminum remote control. So actually there's no current reason for me to upgrade. So how come I want one so bad? I bet Sigmund Freud could answer that question

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #5,857 of 5,935
I don't know if you guys received this email. I feel bad for Arthur as I know him from this hobby for about 10 years. Good, and honest guy. Knowledgable and a straight shooter. I feel bad that he's at the mercy of not just what ever supply chain issues that Violectric have had, but the lousy updates that he is given. It ends up not shining a good light on him, at no fault of his own.

I know... I know... what you are thinking, where is my &#%@!!! Violectric V281 Reissue?!!! How could there possibly be another delay when they are in the warehouse already. I was asking the same thing to AMS (the importer). I found out the person who usually handles all the Violectric orders is away on vacation. Some new guy who is just learning the ropes is handling things this week. I am just beside myself and totally stressed out again. The most important thing to me is keeping the good reputation that I worked so hard to build all these years.

I just pass on the information and ETA's that are given to me. I have learned to 'pad' these estimates with more days, weeks, or months just to be safe. However, anything and everything that could go wrong did go wrong from the beginning with this reissue. So many dates came and went. It has been a whole new learning experience for me. I know things are screwed up in the world today and will probably never be the same post Covid but come on! Then add some wars as well as natural and unnatural disasters. Why can't we get a break here?!!!

I used to handle everything for Violectric: importing, warehousing, shipping, distribution, sales, support, and warranty repairs. It was honestly getting to be a bit much to handle, so an arrangement was made with AMS (American Music & Sound) to handle the bulk of the load. This new importer/distributor was selected by Violectric with me working directly with them. It was honestly a rough start with getting orders out in a timely manner, but things improved greatly over the last couple years. Most of the issues were due in part to shortages and shipping delays both during and then after Covid. Business today is still not easy though in an ever-changing world with new challenges around every corner.

I know... I know... you are saying to yourself enough excuses when am I getting my &#%@!!! Violectric V281 Reissue?!!! This coming week. Yes, really. Even if I have to drive up to Connecticut (the warehouse location), box these up, and print out the labels myself — I will — to ensure everyone gets their V281. All I can do is apologize again and hope that in the end you feel the V281 Reissue was worth the wait.

Enjoy the music soon, Arthur​

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #5,858 of 5,935
I don't know if you guys received this email. I feel bad for Arthur as I know him from this hobby for about 10 years. Good, and honest guy. Knowledgable and a straight shooter. I feel bad that he's at the mercy of not just what ever supply chain issues that Violectric have had, but the lousy updates that he is given. It ends up not shining a good light on him, at no fault of his own.

I know... I know... what you are thinking, where is my &#%@!!! Violectric V281 Reissue?!!! How could there possibly be another delay when they are in the warehouse already. I was asking the same thing to AMS (the importer). I found out the person who usually handles all the Violectric orders is away on vacation. Some new guy who is just learning the ropes is handling things this week. I am just beside myself and totally stressed out again. The most important thing to me is keeping the good reputation that I worked so hard to build all these years.​

I just pass on the information and ETA's that are given to me. I have learned to 'pad' these estimates with more days, weeks, or months just to be safe. However, anything and everything that could go wrong did go wrong from the beginning with this reissue. So many dates came and went. It has been a whole new learning experience for me. I know things are screwed up in the world today and will probably never be the same post Covid but come on! Then add some wars as well as natural and unnatural disasters. Why can't we get a break here?!!!​

I used to handle everything for Violectric: importing, warehousing, shipping, distribution, sales, support, and warranty repairs. It was honestly getting to be a bit much to handle, so an arrangement was made with AMS (American Music & Sound) to handle the bulk of the load. This new importer/distributor was selected by Violectric with me working directly with them. It was honestly a rough start with getting orders out in a timely manner, but things improved greatly over the last couple years. Most of the issues were due in part to shortages and shipping delays both during and then after Covid. Business today is still not easy though in an ever-changing world with new challenges around every corner.​

I know... I know... you are saying to yourself enough excuses when am I getting my &#%@!!! Violectric V281 Reissue?!!! This coming week. Yes, really. Even if I have to drive up to Connecticut (the warehouse location), box these up, and print out the labels myself — I will — to ensure everyone gets their V281. All I can do is apologize again and hope that in the end you feel the V281 Reissue was worth the wait.​

Enjoy the music soon, Arthur​

He does sound at his wits end. lol. I feel sorry for him. Sure, I feel slightly more sorry for myself, because I'm selfish. But I'm also patient, and have solid gear to enjoy while I wait. :beerchug:

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #5,859 of 5,935
Arthur is one of the best people I've met in this crazy hobby--consistently a pleasure to deal with and interact with.

None of these serial delays are his fault, but he has to show up and take flak for it each time (not easy).

Regardless, the V281 is an amazing amp/preamp, well worth waiting for.

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #5,860 of 5,935
I thought the Violectric were protected by a patent..
I see that the Lehmann are also cloned.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #5,862 of 5,935
Anybody can copy anybody, but just because the outside looks the same doesn't mean the insides are the same.... and they're not.
Ok, I checked and they are actually not identical.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #5,863 of 5,935
I've spent my 3-day holiday weekend researching an upgrade to my current system.

DAC: Topping DX7Pro
AMP: Audio-GD NFB-28 (not using internal DAC, just amp)

Yesterday I thought that search was over, and I backordered the Schiit Mjolnir 3. But I couldn't shake this feeling that it wouldn't be euphonic enough for my tastes. Also considering I just snagged a used Bifrost 2/64 from the Classifieds here. I started to sweat. The last thing I wanted was an overly dry source and amp stage.

During my research over the last few days, I kept being drawn to the V281. It seemed to tick all my boxes. Warm, tube-like sound. Enormous soundstage. Extremely resolving.

So I cancelled my MJ3 order and placed a new one. When my ZMF Atrium's arrive, I should have a system worthy of them. :D

Violectric HPA V281_01.jpg
good choice. !

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #5,864 of 5,935
Anyone know if the new release is still available?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back