Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 18, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #4,096 of 5,932
Today we hit the 500.000 mark.
Thank you all for your interest in our products.
We will continue and work hard to not disapoint you.
Is that 500,000 or just 500?

Lol

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #4,099 of 5,932
I'm a new owner of V281 and was hoping to ask a question for those who own V281 with more experience.

I will be using V281 & Violectric DAC V850 together. My question is, should I run my tube headphone amp, Icon Audio HP8 MKII, from V281 lineout? Or should I just use DAC V850 rca cables straight into my tube headphone amp? My plan is to run V850 with XLR into V281 balanced. I could use V281 unbalanced out into my tube headphone amp. Basically using V281 as a preamp. Or is it preferred to just run V850 rca cables straight into tube headphone amp? My goal is to achieve what will give me the most sonic benefit. Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #4,100 of 5,932
That's an interesting tube amp. Is it good? Do you like it?

I use the V281 as a preamp 99% of the time. The extremely flexible input/output design of the V281 makes it super-easy to use it as preamp & headphone amp at the same time: listen to HP + preamp out at same time; or just HP out; or just preamp out.

But your tube amp has a secret weapon: a pair of RCA outputs labeled "Loop Out." To me, that means the full-voltage signal that enters the amp, exits via Loop Out w/no influence of the volume pot. If so, just connect your DAC to the input of the Icon; then connect the Loop out to the RCA/single-ended input of the V281. Now you can listen to either amp at any desired volume--a most interesting setup, allowing you to easily switch from one headphone/amp to the other headphone/amp.

Alternatively, you could reverse the V281 & Icon: connect DAC to V281 via balanced cable (if it's a fully balanced DAC, it may well sound better via balanced output than SE); then connect the SE output of the V281 to the input of the Icon. It's kind of a PITA, but you can actually set the output of the V281 to be strictly line out, unaffected by the volume pot. If you go to the trouble (it means opening the case), you get the exact same set up as in para above, but w/amps switched.

You have a lot of ways to play this. I have a lot of fun doing stuff like that...

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #4,102 of 5,932
That's an interesting tube amp. Is it good? Do you like it?

I use the V281 as a preamp 99% of the time. The extremely flexible input/output design of the V281 makes it super-easy to use it as preamp & headphone amp at the same time: listen to HP + preamp out at same time; or just HP out; or just preamp out.

But your tube amp has a secret weapon: a pair of RCA outputs labeled "Loop Out." To me, that means the full-voltage signal that enters the amp, exits via Loop Out w/no influence of the volume pot. If so, just connect your DAC to the input of the Icon; then connect the Loop out to the RCA/single-ended input of the V281. Now you can listen to either amp at any desired volume--a most interesting setup, allowing you to easily switch from one headphone/amp to the other headphone/amp.

Alternatively, you could reverse the V281 & Icon: connect DAC to V281 via balanced cable (if it's a fully balanced DAC, it may well sound better via balanced output than SE); then connect the SE output of the V281 to the input of the Icon. It's kind of a PITA, but you can actually set the output of the V281 to be strictly line out, unaffected by the volume pot. If you go to the trouble (it means opening the case), you get the exact same set up as in para above, but w/amps switched.

You have a lot of ways to play this. I have a lot of fun doing stuff like that...

You can set a fixed line-out using the front buttons. From pp. 21-22 of the V281 user manual:
PRE-POST FADER or FIXED-VARIABLE
The line-out signal can be tapped at two different points within the V281’s signal path.
If you wish to make use of the input signal without any level change – for a device with its own level controls or recording purposes e.g. – the Fixed-Out or Pre-Fader path (prior to level control) is the right choice: In this case, the unaltered INPUT signal (prior to level control) is forwarded to the line output.
If you want to feed a power amplifier or active loudspeakers, Variable- Out or Post-Fader (including level control) should be used.
In this case, the line output provides the signal at the level set by the volume control.

Switching between "Pre" and "Post" is effected via software:
Press and hold the “LINE“ pushbutton for about two seconds until the green LED starts flashing. The present status is displayed by the “XLR” LED (pre fader) or the “DIG” LED (post fader). The setting can be altered now by pressing the corresponding button. To complete the setting procedure, just press and hold the “LINE” button again until the green LED stops flashing.

You need to open the V281 to change the line output level. Again, from p. 22 of the user manual:
LINE-OUTPUT LEVEL can be set by means of internal DIP switches located on the line-out circuit board. See page 33 for further details.
Generally, the level at the unbalanced output will equal the input level in pre-fader mode, or with the level control set fully clockwise in post-fader mode. By means of the DIP switches however, relative attenuation/gain can be set to –12, -6, 0, +6 or +12 dB.

Please note that output level at the balanced output is generally +6 dB higher than at the unbalanced output.​

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #4,104 of 5,932
I have the v281 for a few days, so I'm new to it. My impressions so far are that it is amazingly good technically - separation, clarity, soundstage, dynamics, detail, you name it... I've never heard music sound so real. It's like every sound is physically there. And there are a lot more positive things to be said here.

However, sometimes I feel like something is missing and I think that is emotional impact and engagement. I don't get goosebumps as often as I would expect and often I feel the emotional impact is somewhat missing. The thing is I don't have experience with other amps in this class. I still have the Teac HA-501, which is a great amp. Back then I preferred it to the v200 and on top of it it was cheaper.

So, do you have similar experience with the v281? Also, can you point me to similarly priced amp which offers more engagement? Maybe I'll have to go to tube amps... Woo audio WA22? I have never heard tube amp, so no idea how different it can be from solid state. Or maybe I just expect too much from audio as a whole :)

I'm using HD800S balanced.

And don't get me wrong, I love the v281's sound and it will be really hard for me to decide to return it. It brought my audio setup to a whole new level and I think it will not be easy to find another amp with such superior characteristics. I'm just wondering if there are better options in terms of engagement. Maybe in some cases sacrificing technical superiority for more engagement is a good trade-off. Also, it definitely gets better and better with time. Probably I'm adjusting to the new sound and/or it's the amp's burning in.

EDIT: It turned out the DAC was the problem and not the v281. After getting a good DAC, nothing is missing while listening with the v281. The sound is engaging, colorful and brings more emotions in me.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #4,105 of 5,932
I have the v281 for a few days, so I'm new to it. My impressions so far are that it is amazingly good technically - separation, clarity, soundstage, dynamics, detail, you name it... I've never heard music sound so real. It's like every sound is physically there. And there are a lot more positive things to be said here.

However, sometimes I feel like something is missing and I think that is emotional impact and engagement. I don't get goosebumps as often as I would expect and often I feel the emotional impact is somewhat missing. The thing is I don't have experience with other amps in this class. I still have the Teac HA-501, which is a great amp. Back then I preferred it to the v200 and on top of it it was cheaper.

So, do you have similar experience with the v281? Also, can you point me to similarly priced amp which offers more engagement? Maybe I'll have to go to tube amps... Woo audio WA22? I have never heard tube amp, so no idea how different it can be from solid state. Or maybe I just expect too much from audio as a whole :)

And don't get me wrong, I love the v281's sound and it will be really hard for me to decide to return it. It brought my audio setup to a whole new level and I think it will not be easy to find another amp with such superior characteristics. I'm just wondering if there are better options in terms of engagement. Maybe in some cases sacrificing technical superiority for more engagement is a good trade-off. Also, it definitely gets better and better with time. Probably I'm adjusting to the new sound and/or it's the amp's burning in.

So if you feel that something is lacking the only other suggestion, I can make is to look at tube amps. After reading what you posted I came to the V281 from a completely different direction and I appreciate seeing a different view on what it sounds like to another owner. I wanted technical and analytical and so was directed after reviews and listening to various products to the V281. If you have a chance and I know this is hard to do I would look into trying to listen to an EC Balancing Act or options by Woo as tube amps are brilliant but much different compared to SS.

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #4,106 of 5,932

Dont expect fun from HD800S even on warm amp like violectric. Besides what Dac you are using?

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #4,107 of 5,932

A few thoughts of mine since I have the same components. Guess you have achieved a lot already with a V281 plus HD 800S balanced!

Question 1: What‘s your source (DAC)? Mine is a Chord Hugo 2.
Question 2: I think a good burn-in is a must. I usually run them for >100 hours without listening along the way, only at hour 0 and in the end in order to avoid a creeping brain adjustment.

I agree with all positives you mentioned. As you say, it is all about what a specific person desires. The Hugo 2 and HD 800S are designed to cater for transparency and good analytics, not the ”fun“ aspects. I felt big jumps forward came when (1) putting the V281 in between H2 and HD 800S, and (2) when running the HD balanced out of the V281. Now, I am neither missing any musicality nor any power, and I don‘t feel transparency to get compromised.

Since so wanted to have a slightly ”looser“ presentation at times, I got a Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen as my second headphone, also run balanced. This one makes for a bit more impressiveness without crossing the boundary to boom and bang and bliss, but it is a bit less transparent.

Coming to your question: Yes, maybe a tube amp could get you towards your goal. No, I haven‘t heard the HD 800S on tubes. Currently, my ultimate goal would be very different: It would be a TOTL Stax electrostat with a top driver unit, maybe one from Iceland (Mjolnir). I have owned a not-so-TOTL Stax with Stax tube driver a long time ago, and I auditioned Stax recently. But that would be a long way, in particular when considering that a Hugo 2 is not the end of the road either - that would be a Chord TT2 with an MScaler.

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,108 of 5,932
It will be interesting experience to try good tube amp. I heard very good things about the EC Balancing Act, also it's listed on the InnerFidelity's wall of fame as one of the best in the world. The thing is not only I don't have the possibility to try it, but also I don't know how to buy it in Europe if I want it. Some info on this will be useful. As for the WA22, I have the possibility to travel about 6 hours to a neighboring country to hear it and I'm tempted to do it. Also, I'm willing to travel in Europe if there is a possibility to try more interesting gear.

Maybe the DarkVoice 336SE would be a nice amp to introduce me to the tube world. But on the other hand it will be cheaper to just go and hear the WA22.

I might write more detailed impressions of the v281, but I definitely need more time with it. I have a lot to say, but at the same time it's hard to put into words and in non-native language.

As for the DAC, I''m currently using the Fiio X3 II DAP. I'm considering an update to the v850 or Matrix Sabre-X Pro. Also, maybe second set of differently sounding headphones will be a great addition.

Well, it seems this audio obsession is bottomless. I though that I will just build a great system and that's it. It seems my curiosity won't stop there... I guess now I'm officially one of you guys - crazy about audio with never ending interest and curiosity. Literally, a lot of people around me think I'm crazy paying such money for this :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #4,109 of 5,932
It will be interesting experience to try good tube amp. I heard very good things about the EC Balancing Act, also it's listed on the InnerFidelity's wall of fame as one of the best in the world. The thing is not only I don't have the possibility to try it, but also I don't know how to buy it in Europe if I want it. Some info on this will be useful. As for the WA22, I have the possibility to travel about 6 hours to a neighboring country to hear it and I'm tempted to do it. Also, I'm willing to travel in Europe if there is a possibility to try more interesting gear.

Maybe the DarkVoice 336SE would be a nice amp to introduce me to the tube world. But on the other hand it will be cheaper to just go and hear the WA22.

I might write more detailed impressions of the v281, but I definitely need more time with it. I have a lot to say, but at the same time it's hard to put into words and in non-native language.

As for the DAC, I''m currently using the Fiio X3 II DAP. I'm considering an update to the v850 or Matrix Sabre-X Pro. Also, maybe second set of differently sounding headphones will be a great addition.

Well, it seems this audio obsession is bottomless. I though that I will just build a great system and that's it. It seems my curiosity won't stop there... I guess now I'm officially one of you guys - crazy about audio with never ending interest and curiosity. Literally, a lot of people around me think I'm crazy paying such money for this :)
This dap is a joke for HD800S no sugar coating. Buy good dac like Qutest or rme adi 2 then comeback.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #4,110 of 5,932

With that DAP acting as your DAC, I think you need to take everything you have heard from the V281 with a big grain of salt, because the DAC is every bit as important as the amp, in determining how that Amp sounds. My V281 is fed by a Schiit Yggdrasil A2, and I am betting you would be surprised at how the sound of your V281 would be transformed, if you were to feed it with a Yggdrasil instead...

Which is why I wouldn't go doing an helter-skelter buying and tinkering with other Amps too quickly, Tubes/or SS, if I were you, until I have determined what the V281 can really give you with a more appropriate DAC, that can bring out its best performance... A good DAC is a must, because without one, every other Amp (and there are indeed great ones out there) you try out might also underperform, and you might come off with the same "something is missing" feeling you're having right now, regardless of how great the amp might be on its own... That sounds to me like a rather inefficient and ultimately pricey way to experiment your way to audio-nirvana, even if you're blessed with unlimited supplies of funds. A more patient, and carefully calibrated path of experimentation would certainly be in order here... Bear in mind that no matter how great an amp, or headphone, or any single component might be in its own right, what counts in the end, and trumps everything else is *system synergy.* Without "system synergy" you would be selling each component short, and you might wind up blaming your dissatisfactions on component after component, accusing each of sins they have probably not committed.... Sadly, this happens on head-fi all the time....

So please proceed with patience and caution, and do not rush to judgment about any component, until you're sure you've deployed it in the chain of components that are apt to make it perform at its best. My humble two cents. :)

Oh, and I agree with you that the audio obsession could be "bottomless." But who really wants to be traveling on a "bottomless" road, when all is said and done? Fortunately, there are wonderful oases of delight along the way to audio nirvana in each of which a cornucopia of endgame delights in audio bliss are to be had, provided one chooses one's components with care, and is always mindful of the requirements for system synergy.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back