Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,066 of 5,932
Hmmm, but has anyone here actually tried it?
I think if you have $800 to spend and you want a Chinese amp wait for Massdrop to drop the Gustard H20 or see if you can get a used V280 or Bryston BHA-1 for less than $1000. I can’t understand why you’d spend that kind of money on a crappy knockoff when there are plenty of genuine, quality headphone amps available for the same price. Also someone asks about that clone amp every few months on this forum and they always get the same response: don’t do it!

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #4,067 of 5,932
I think if you have $800 to spend and you want a Chinese amp wait for Massdrop to drop the Gustard H20 or see if you can get a used V280 or Bryston BHA-1 for less than $1000. I can’t understand why you’d spend that kind of money on a crappy knockoff when there are plenty of genuine, quality headphone amps available for the same price. Also someone asks about that clone amp every few months on this forum and they always get the same response: don’t do it!

Note taken!
Have you heard the Gustard A20H by any chance? Compared to the H20 by any chance?
I'm just using an HE-1000 V2 headphone.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #4,068 of 5,932
...Also someone asks about that clone amp every few months on this forum and they always get the same response: don’t do it!
I'm guilty of asking this.
I think if you have $800 to spend ... see if you can get a used V280 or Bryston BHA-1 for less than $1000...
Yep -- I actually got both (BHA-1 & V280) for about $900 each. Ended up re-selling the V280 as the SQ for the two were too close for it to make sense to keep both amps.

BTW, I've never seen a single review or impression of the knock-off 281, although there seems to be some discussion of it on some Russian boards (per google search). I imagine that something that sounds similar to a V281 at 1/3 the price would be irresistible to folks where the price of the V281 represents half a year's salary (or more).

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #4,069 of 5,932
Note taken!
Have you heard the Gustard A20H by any chance? Compared to the H20 by any chance?
I'm just using an HE-1000 V2 headphone.
I used to have the A20H actually. It’s very capable and has a nice dac section. As an amp it’s not in the same league as the V281. I think the HE1000’s couldn’t reach their full potential with the A20H but if you can find it for a cheap price it’s a good option for an all-in-one solution. I haven’t heard the H20 but I’d like to! It’s got tons of power and classy looks.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #4,070 of 5,932

Exactly. Also, the discussion of clones is not allowed as stated by a moderator.

If by all means people really want to possibly burn their money with this pos, then please do it, but take the discussion elsewhere. We've had an encounter a few months ago and while it's always to fun to mock the laughable cheapass build it only pollutes the thread.
For 900 Dollars you can get a Mjolnir 2, used V280 maybe, BHA-1 (as stated in this thread) and many more. All very good amps for the money.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #4,071 of 5,932
Exactly. Also, the discussion of clones is not allowed as stated by a moderator.

If by all means people really want to possibly burn their money with this pos, then please do it, but take the discussion elsewhere. We've had an encounter a few months ago and while it's always to fun to mock the laughable cheapass build it only pollutes the thread.
For 900 Dollars you can get a Mjolnir 2, used V280 maybe, BHA-1 (as stated in this thread) and many more. All very good amps for the money.

There are so many great used gear options at this price point.

I don't understand the blip in the knock off discussion as it pretty clearly is a thread dedicated to the amp and not the clones.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #4,072 of 5,932
Sorry for bringing it up.. :triportsad:

The V200 sounds interested, and I've found a listing of a V181 for around $600. However, I did try and match up the Cavalli Liquid Carbon with the HE-1000 V2 and it seemed too warm. I have a feeling that the V181 has a somewhat similar coloration to sound.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Jotunheim.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #4,073 of 5,932
...However, I did try and match up the Cavalli Liquid Carbon with the HE-1000 V2 and it seemed too warm.
I concur. V280 & Bryston are/were better with HEKv2. I don't care for the sound of HEKv2/LCX pairing. Biggest problem with HEKv2 for me is the 'laid-backness'. Oppo Sonica DAC vs Pontus is an improvement. Also, Silver Dragon cable.
...I'm kind of leaning towards the Jotunheim.
I suspect this might be a very good pairing.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,075 of 5,932
Do we prefer our DBs setpoint down with the volume pot up, or the DBs up with the volume pot down?

This is an oversimplification, but theoretically and all things being equal, the the higher the output voltage (or dBu) from the source (e.g. DAC), the higher the SNR* - this assumes the voltage is within the input specs of the amp. I generally go with the highest source voltage that gives me sufficient movement on the volume pot.

* In practice, I think most people (myself included) can't hear the difference between a SNR of 100 dB vs. 110 dB so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #4,076 of 5,932
This is an oversimplification, but theoretically and all things being equal, the the higher the output voltage (or dBu) from the source (e.g. DAC), the higher the SNR* - this assumes the voltage is within the input specs of the amp. I generally go with the highest source voltage that gives me sufficient movement on the volume pot.

* In practice, I think most people (myself included) can't hear the difference between a SNR of 100 dB vs. 110 dB so take this with a grain of salt.
Thx. Somewhere I heard that amps to better at higher volumes. With the thought that low db with the amp volume pot cranked would be good. I have played wit this, will have to give it more time.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,077 of 5,932
Thx. Somewhere I heard that amps to better at higher volumes. With the thought that low db with the amp volume pot cranked would be good. I have played wit this, will have to give it more time.

Agreed, see what sounds best to you and let us know.

Regarding amp volume, I think what you heard is true for tube amps in order to increase the gain and (desirable) distortion from the tube.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #4,078 of 5,932
Agreed, see what sounds best to you and let us know.

Regarding amp volume, I think what you heard is true for tube amps in order to increase the gain and (desirable) distortion from the tube.

Yes. That is true of my tube amp. I use the V281 as a pre-amp so have remote volume control.
However my tube amp sounds way better cranked with low volume input.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #4,080 of 5,932
Yes. That is true of my tube amp. I use the V281 as a pre-amp so have remote volume control.
However my tube amp sounds way better cranked with low volume input.

The V281 is a superb preamp--effortless, dynamic, and smooth (like everything else it does)

Your main amp is a WA22? Why don't you use that as a preamp?

I'm very interested in the WA22 as an amp, and would be even more interested if it had unbalanced outputs for preamp use, as well as balanced.

I have 3 or 4 amp/preamps and change up now and then. Though the V281 is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back