Vintage Pioneer thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #241 of 272
Got a pair of SE-205's recently and am actually quite impressed with the sound and build.  Added them to the Pioneer Monitors as my vintage contingent.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #242 of 272
kuantings 
"great review! where did you get the cedar ring from? or you made it yourself?"

Kuantings.  Yes.  I made the cedar ring myself.
I have also recently completed walnut rings, and two more cedar rings, now that I have better sized hole saws.
1-3/4 inches for the inside diameter, and 2-1/2 for the outside diameter.
Then I used a router to make a small groove around the edge like a Grado.
I'll post pictures when I can.

Thanks for asking.

May 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #243 of 272
Pioneer Monitor 10R (slightly pic heavy)

Where do I begin?

Well they are much cheaper feeling than I expected. Cheap chrome painted plastic with a plastic body. At least the adjustment mechanism is metal. They have an annoying tendency to fold up unless I "screw" the adjustment in place. The pads are cheap pleather though in almost new condition, especially when compared to the headband and the inner foam is still intact. They are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Though the pads which are hard as new and they do clamp a bit but still very comfortable and light. A few more pictures follow.

Right side with pad attached. No flaking at all. Hard like it was new. The inner foam too is simply accumulated a little dust.

Pads removed. I can't remove the inner foam.

Close up. They're angled quite nicely. The angling is what made them comfortable for me as my ears never touched anything except the foam.

I hate stick-on pads. Interestingly there's a second layer as you can see in the picture. It doesn't cover over the body. Just a stick-on.

Another angle without the pads.

The driver unit removed from the body. 

Close up of body. The chrome painted plastic ring comes of easily. So does the pleather cover. Nothing in the cavity. I plan to add some foam later to the cavity to address some of the sound issues I'll mention later.

Close up of driver unit.

Onto the sound.

Simply put they are an amazing studio headphones with one glaring flaw that have been mentioned.

The mid-range is way too recessed for my liking. They make the headphones sound muddy and unclear. Apart from that the bass is the best bass I've ever heard short of the TakeT H2+.Tight and punchy. The highs are a bit much but perfectly listenable. The clarity is muddled by the mid range though detail wise the capture everything. They are like the SE-11. It's there and if you want it you have it but there are not in front of you. They are rather unforgiving with recordings. Quite unforgiving actually, it reminds me of HD800 levels of unforgiveness. The sound stage is a similar issue I have with the DT-48. Very headphone like though the imaging is superb, enough to make me forgive the soundstage since they make everything eerily lifelike. No distortion whatsoever towards everything I throw at them and they are as refined and smooth as optical fibre. There's no such roughness to them at all. They are a little bright but neutrally bright. Neither cold or warm. 

I want to like them but the mid range just ruins them. Especially coming from mid-range centric headphones. I was hoping some burn in will make the mids better but alas they did not. I'm hoping some mods will help them but I doubt it. 

May 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #244 of 272
SE-L40 Update:
I've had these for a little more than a month now.  I spent just about as much in tools to make the wood rings as I did to buy the phones.  But I wouldn't change it for the world.

I made two more sets of rings.  One in black walnut (shown) and another in cedar.  The black walnut are just a little bit thicker.  Holds the drivers off the ears just a bit more
So far, the sound it fantastic.  I used a router to make grooves in the rings to hold the Grado LCush pads.

I listen to these at work.  FLAC 16.44>DX50>Coaxial input>Peachtree Audio Decco 65.  The sound to me is clear and full.  On the high end, there is no excessive sibalance.  On the low end, it does not extend as deep as my Fosxtex TH900 (but who would expect it to).

Here are more pictures of the mod.  I still need to sand and stain the wood.  But this is pretty much done.  I'm going to see if I can find some linen to cover the rings for aesthetic purposes, but if it changes the sound, it will come off.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #245 of 272
apologies for reviving an old thread...

I was able to get a Pioneer SE-7 for cheap.  The pads and headband are completely trashed though.  I hope you guys can help me out with...

1.  replacement pads. any idea what pads would suit these?

2.  headband.  can't figure out how to remove it (or if it is even possible).  from what i saw on the SE-4's service manual, there should be two self-tapping screws that hold everything in place.  unfortunately not the case for the SE-7 (or SE-2, SE-6 from the pictures i've seen).  i realize that finding the exact replacement part would be futile but i was thinking i could have one made in an upholstery shop.  
I actually like how it sounds.  While far from being "hi-fi" it provides a very calming listening experience, much how mid-tier speakers from the 70s sound.  I plan to use it as my daily driver for background music and podcasts.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #246 of 272
Anyone know which Pioneer model this is? Not my picture by the way.

t8_V7e1MRlKsndVn1sqXqQ.png

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #247 of 272
Feilong4 that is an SE-7 :)
Careful of their condition, many of them have failed slider bearings where the arms slide through= though that one looks intact.
I should also mention what can appear to be surface dirt is actually tarnished finish and is not fixable since the drivers are permanently in the cups . They do the melted screw thing so unless you drill those out and remove the driver to paint them, no luck. Well maybe you are good with masking tape and a paintbrush.

I was able to get a Pioneer SE-7 for cheap. The pads and headband are completely trashed though. I hope you guys can help me out with...

1. replacement pads. any idea what pads would suit these?

2. headband. can't figure out how to remove it (or if it is even possible).
From what I saw on the SE-4's service manual, there should be two self-tapping screws that hold everything in place. unfortunately not the case for the SE-7 (or SE-2, SE-6 from the pictures i've seen). i realize that finding the exact replacement part would be futile but i was thinking i could have one made in an upholstery shop.
I actually like how it sounds. While far from being "hi-fi" it provides a very calming listening experience, much how mid-tier speakers from the 70s sound. I plan to use it as my daily driver for background music and podcasts.

^Funny enough I just ordered some pads tonight for mine!
I use the brown Sony MDR-PQ2 ones, they seem pretty darned close to stock. Really as close as I could find , might be 5mm less diameter but that is close. I used strips of the Aileen's / Fabric Fuse tape to attach the pads to the baffles.
Stock pads should be very soft, not many are. Only have an SE-11 that has a soft stock set, rest are not that great.
Height is also close as is inner opening which is very important.

Headband could be made from some leather either 2 thin sections bonded together with contact cement then cut to shape, or one thicker . ( be sure to let contact cement dry on each piece before bonding them together, and make sure you have enough thin layers built up and make a good bond)
If I get around to it I will see if the tab thing on the inside of the headbands is somehow removable so I can see if there are screws under that. it may simply be a press tab thing. Glued or pressure fit

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #248 of 272

I was able to get a Pioneer SE-7 for cheap. The pads and headband are completely trashed though. I hope you guys can help me out with...

1. replacement pads. any idea what pads would suit these?

2. headband. can't figure out how to remove it (or if it is even possible). from what i saw on the SE-4's service manual, there should be two self-tapping screws that hold everything in place. unfortunately not the case for the SE-7 (or SE-2, SE-6 from the pictures i've seen). i realize that finding the exact replacement part would be futile but i was thinking i could have one made in an upholstery shop.
I actually like how it sounds. While far from being "hi-fi" it provides a very calming listening experience, much how mid-tier speakers from the 70s sound. I plan to use it as my daily driver for background music and podcasts.
Feilong4 that is an SE-7 :)
Careful of their condition, many of them have failed slider bearings where the arms slide through= though that one looks intact.
I should also mention what can appear to be surface dirt is actually tarnished finish and is not fixable since the drivers are permanently in the cups . They do the melted screw thing so unless you drill those out and remove the driver to paint them, no luck. Well maybe you are good with masking tape and a paintbrush.

^Funny enough I just ordered some pads tonight for mine!
I use the brown Sony MDR-PQ2 ones, they seem pretty darned close to stock. Really as close as I could find , might be 5mm less diameter but that is close. I used strips of the Aileen's / Fabric Fuse tape to attach the pads to the baffles.
Stock pads should be very soft, not many are. Only have an SE-11 that has a soft stock set, rest are not that great.
Height is also close as is inner opening which is very important.

Headband could be made from some leather either 2 thin sections bonded together with contact cement then cut to shape, or one thicker . ( be sure to let contact cement dry on each piece before bonding them together, and make sure you have enough thin layers built up and make a good bond)
If I get around to it I will see if the tab thing on the inside of the headbands is somehow removable so I can see if there are screws under that. it may simply be a press tab thing. Glued or pressure fit

Haha just realized the person above my post talked about the same headphones!

How much would be a fair price assuming everything is intact?

Also, what's the generally agreed "best sounding" of the Pioneer's SE line of headphones?

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #249 of 272
what's the generally agreed "best sounding" of the Pioneer's SE line of headphones?

Having read a lot of vintage headphone threads, it's unclear since there just aren't high enough numbers of ownership, especially anywhere outside of Japan.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #250 of 272
Feilong4 , since I am good at remote viewing , the one you see there is a decent average cost , I have seen them higher and also just under that cost. ( actually not remote viewing, I just happen to have seen it ).
the key condition would be, well ..yes condition of the item. Especially since the cable jacks seem to corrode just as fast on some.
Going off recent memory I would say if you like more low end fun , try it. If you want something a tiny bit more even maybe wait at the same place you are seeing the SE-7 , and wait for an SE-11 in decent shape. Can often find them close to that cost.

I might be mistaken, but I recall the SE-7 being a bit more in the low end than SE-11 ( not that the SE-11 is really lacking in any way keep that in mind)

SE-11 is pretty much top model in that range anyhow aside from the unobtainium SE-15.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #251 of 272
Feilong4 , since I am good at remote viewing , the one you see there is a decent average cost , I have seen them higher and also just under that cost. ( actually not remote viewing, I just happen to have seen it ).
the key condition would be, well ..yes condition of the item. Especially since the cable jacks seem to corrode just as fast on some.
Going off recent memory I would say if you like more low end fun , try it. If you want something a tiny bit more even maybe wait at the same place you are seeing the SE-7 , and wait for an SE-11 in decent shape. Can often find them close to that cost.

I might be mistaken, but I recall the SE-7 being a bit more in the low end than SE-11 ( not that the SE-11 is really lacking in any way keep that in mind)

SE-11 is pretty much top model in that range anyhow aside from the unobtainium SE-15.

You saw the same listing for the SE-7?

I've seen a couple of SE-11 on ebay though priced quite a bit more than I would like to pay. There's one at the moment at $200 which I believe is being sold by a Head-Fier.

Are there any impressions of the SE-15?

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #252 of 272
SE-11 generally cheaper same place the SE-7 is now, if that is the one I see. Also more frequently found there. For someone who simply wants one right now head-fi would be easy yeah I guess.

SE-15 only a brief short thing at another site. Never ( ever ) seem to come up at all so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
One of the few ones I ever saw was a really grungy one ( where would you start with that cleanup= no idea..it was that bad ) that sold for way too much earlier this year. Looked disgusting would not have put it anywhere near my head.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #253 of 272
SE-11 generally cheaper same place the SE-7 is now, if that is the one I see. Also more frequently found there. For someone who simply wants one right now head-fi would be easy yeah I guess.

SE-15 only a brief short thing at another site. Never ( ever ) seem to come up at all so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
One of the few ones I ever saw was a really grungy one ( where would you start with that cleanup= no idea..it was that bad ) that sold for way too much earlier this year. Looked disgusting would not have put it anywhere near my head.

If the SE-11 is generally cheaper than the SE-7, then I got the SE-7 for a steal (regarding the SE-11 I see going for $200 on ebay). I just won an auction for the SE-7 from someone in Japan for about $55 not including shipping. Shipping will probably be around $20-30.

Would you say that that's a good price? I'm not sure if we were seeing the same pair.

Also, now one of my life goals is to find a pair of the SE-15!

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #254 of 272
I mean to say the SE-11 often goes for cheaper there than getting an SE-11 from other places, I should have been more clear.
BUT.... your cost on the SE-7 is decent yes. I have seen them go for a lot more before.
Plus there is another variant just different name- ( same company but different North American division of Pioneer ) essentially the same SE-7 just with different name, and last one of those variants I saw sold a couple months back for a lot more than you paid for yours so you did well yes.
Hope you like the sound after all this.
But that is part of the fun. I forget what the impedance is on those, perhaps 125 ohm... so hope you can try running them off an amp and see how or if the sound changes at all.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #255 of 272
Received and sold my SE-7 almost immediately. They sounded very uhh.. not good. Wonky midrange.

I just received a Pioneer Monitor 10. What's up with the mids though? Vocals are just not very natural. Strangely forward with an odd timbre. They stick out like a sore thumb.

I saw measurements of these and there is a quick rise to 2kHz which I believe is the cause of this. I tried EQ'ing these and it helped a bit though still sounds a bit off. Vocal reproduction is like an old ortho with no damping but worse.

Anyone tried modding/EQ'ing these?

Here's my EQ so far:

EQ for M10.png

I admit, I might have been a bit extreme on the 2kHz, but that's about the level to where I'm comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back