Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Aug 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #616 of 1,087
Would you all say that these compare favorably to the Ety ER4P/S phones?

I'm debating between these FX500s, the Ety's, and the Head Direct RE0's.

Thoughts?

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #617 of 1,087
I would say the Etys and the FX500s are at opposite ends of the scale. The Etys are cold and analytical, with not a shred of bass (some say it's subtle - I say a light tap where the bass ought to be aint subtle, it's absent!) whereas the FX500s have huge and gorgeoeus bass, and overall smooth and detailed sound with good sound stage. I find them very easy to listen to, musical, no fatigue at all.
I had the Etys very briefly, but apart from the sound, didn't like having to jam something so far into my ear it felt like a brain implant. Some people love em of course, but to my ears, music just doesn't sound like that.
But with regard to your question, there is no resemblance whatsoever between the Etys and the Victors in sound or fit. Don't have any experience of the RE0s.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #618 of 1,087
Hello everyone, great info as always. Since there is such differences in what we hear, could you list the chain of equipment used in your portable rig? I think that this will help a lot in determining why we are hearing such differences in the last couple of pages of posts. I am using the following:
Lossless>4th Gen Imod>ALO Cryo>Original Hornet>FX 500>Shure Large Olives.

I have 500 hours of burn in now. These have really tightened up in the bass and midrange. The upper end is still slighty harsh. I need to try the Koss tips. I am sure this will really help. I think that these iems are really great with vocals. I listened last night to some Krall, Norah, Ray Charles and Natilie Cole. These were outstanding and some great recordings. I also tried Steely Dan Aja, Hey nineteen. This song had a huge soundstage. I also went to some classic jazz and on some songs I could actually feel the bass. Piano is outstanding. I can hear the notes resonate and decay so clearly. Classical music is also a treat with the right recording. Periah was very good with piano concertos of Chopin and Beethoven. Also the Van Cliburn 1956 recording of Tchaikovsky was very good, considering the poor recording. I am really enjoying my rig now and looking forward to trying the Koss tips.

Thanks to everyone for their input and keep the thread rolling!

Joe

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #619 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you all say that these compare favorably to the Ety ER4P/S phones?

I'm debating between these FX500s, the Ety's, and the Head Direct RE0's.

Thoughts?

Depends on what your source is. I have the Sony X1050 + FX-500 and my brother has the Cowon S9 + RE0. To be honest i prefer the X-1050 + FX500 (by a long shot).

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #620 of 1,087
I would give them a go especially over the etymotics (which I've had for ages, and consider sub-par these days.) The RE0 seem interesting, but from what I've read they aren't as nice as the Victor HP-FX500 in the bass department, I don't know about the RE0's bass quantity, can only judge by their spec, at 20 Hz compared to the HP-FX500's 8 Hz... I haven't listened to a pair of RE0 yet.

THAT said...

I HAVE listened to my HP-FX500 with:

1) Victor Tips (L)
2) Victor / JVC Microfoams
3) v-moda BLISS Silicone Tips (L)
4) SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips (L)
5) Phonak Audeo Silicone Tips (L)/(M)
6) Comply T-400 Foam Tips

on my COWON O2PMP unamped, and amped with the:

1) iBasso T4 > HP-FX500
2) FiiO E5 > HP-FX500
3) iBasso T4 > FiiO E5 > HP-FX500
4) iBasso D10 Cobra > HP-FX500

All using FLAC 8 44.1kHz files and the same set-up on:

my iRiver iHP-120 ROCKboxed. Though in the case of the D10 Cobra the connection wasn't analog, it was digital optical...

I can tell you THE VICTOR HP-FX500 have yet to come away Victorious on my setups.

The only real buying strategy advice I could give if you're on a budget is to say... if you plan on getting BOTH the FX-500, and the RE0, that the RE0 is on sale for $99.99USD at the moment, so it may be a good time to pick that half of the pair up. Prices are fairly stable at what is it? Seyo-Shop?? (Got mine via an eBay auction before they were a common import)...

Happy Listening!!

Aug 8, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #621 of 1,087
Also if you are having trouble with "rendition" or "soundstage" with these 'phones try some different tips... I really like the SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips which extend Bass And Treble, others prefer the KOSS Earcushions for the KE29S which supposedly Transform this IEM (I'm curious, actually)...

Those KOSS Earcushions may be a good bet as they are the least expensive of the aftermarket/3rd-party tips at $5.00, and the SONY are at $~9.00 USD

Link to KOSS Earcushions ---> http://www.koss.com/koss/baskets.nsf...agent&ID=KE29S

Link to SONY Hybrid Silicone Tips/Earcushions ---> http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...d%3d.&mode=add

@midoo1990: Happy Burning-In! & Welcome to the HP-FX500 Club!

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #622 of 1,087
Would the Victor's be a noticeable upgrade from the atrio m5s I have right now?

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #623 of 1,087
Hmm they would be a differently flavoured upgrade with more bass HUM than you'd be used to from what I read up on about the atrio's as the M5's don't go as deep on the Hz scale, and the HP-FX500s go down to 8Hz, you can definitely FEEL the bass notes.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #624 of 1,087
Hey FLACvest,the fx500 are indeed the best phones i have ever had!the burning in process tammed the treble down as out of the box it was for me so harsh and unberable,the bass out of the box is superb and goes very very deep.And this statment is coming from someone who have the ie8!the ie8 feels plasticky and its impact is like a little dot in comparison to the victors bass.In a lot of my music there are passages that have low bass notes that the ie8 didnt even notice and the victors presents the mvery deep and powerful.And the vibration of the drivers and the wood of the victors simply gives me EARGASMS.i only experianced the vibrations on the ie8 in a couple of songs. and thats it.The ie8 are now collecting dust in my drawer simply because the victors blows themm in every area except the soundstage and airness.
P.S:Anyone tried to listen to Rascal Flatts on these phones?EARGASSSSSSSSSSSSSSM.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #627 of 1,087
Just go to KOSS.com, select the link foe accessory earcushions, and select the model of earcushion. KE29S and add it to your cart. Sorry for posting a bad link earlier...

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #628 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekay84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Victor's be a noticeable upgrade from the atrio m5s I have right now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm they would be a differently flavoured upgrade with more bass HUM than you'd be used to from what I read up on about the atrio's as the M5's don't go as deep on the Hz scale, and the HP-FX500s go down to 8Hz, you can definitely FEEL the bass notes.

Well, the Atrios go also very deep and you can definitely FEEL the bass with them, too. I'd say the upgrade would be mainly in highs, which are much more prominent and extended on the FX500. Moreover the Victor's soundstage is noticably larger than the M5's. Concerning isolation it would be a downgrade though.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #629 of 1,087
Anyway, can someone in the US help me?

I'm wanting to buy some spare Koss earcushions but ha, good luck getting them here.

So.........

Anny one here can help me out and buy some via Koss and you can send them here on the slowest possible ship (or faster if you want) to here in New Zealand?
I can pay via Paypal etc..

For those who bought the Ear Cushions from Koss directly, how many pairs did you get + what size?

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #630 of 1,087
How do you guys know whether you have the best seal it can offer? I've been playing around with mine for couple of days now and one thing I notice so far is that the sound quality wasn't awestruck right out of the box. And it also took me awhile to find a proper position that wouldn't fall off from my ear. What surprise me is that, it gets better day by day and I could really notice it. It picks subtle bass which NE-7M and Custom 3 fail to do. I can feel those subtle ones from my chest. I've read somewhere that you won't hear sparkle from this and I wholeheartedly disagree this statement. Apart from Custom 3, although I have no prior experience with high end phone like Shure and anything but audiophile, I can hear sparkling sound from this little thing. As much as I hate christina, I can really enjoy her "Genie in little bottle" song with FX500 over and over again.
beyersmile.png
I don't know how to put this but, to do the best I can, it's very rich, refine, clear and I can hear each and individual instruments. I feel like my ears are in heaven.
biggrin.gif
But, there's one tiny gripe though. I think vocal can be harsh to my ears sometimes. I don't know if this is the kind of problem that would settle down over time. All in all, I think my money is well spent and I'm so excited to get the best out of this bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back