Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,261 of 1,486
Exactly! That mimics my sentiments as well. Such a great, balanced sound for such a price

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,262 of 1,486
I do find that there is a 'common thread' sound to planars, much moreso than there is with dynamics.

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,263 of 1,486
Still, I am not aware of any other planar that is this linear bottom to treble. HiFiMANs are more peaky in various treble regions. Audeze and Dan Clark sound closer.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,264 of 1,486
I've had the Verum 1 for just over a week now, and my impressions are very positive.

This is a real Goldilocks headphone: tonal balance, tonal density, transient response, timbre, are all dialled in just right. Soundstage, separation, and clarity are very good, too.

These are only the second planars I've owned, the first being the ZMF Ori, which I owned and sold twice. Tonality aside (they're tuned quite differently, with the Ori being very dense and fairly dark), and from memory, the Verum exceed the Ori in soundstage, transient response, and clarity. I've auditioned the Sundara and LCD-2 as well, both out of an iFi Micro BL, and found the experience on both quite underwhelming.

Pairing wise, they're a lovely match with the Liquid Spark. Natural, open, airy, and effortless, are the foremost descriptors that come to mind. They're quite chameleon-like, too: out of the Atom, they were incredibly clean, tight, and precise. A little lean and a touch bright, but with quite startling clarity and detail. Soundstage was on the smaller side, however, but widened considerably on the Liquid Spark.

Chain: Spotify > Topping D50s > Liquid Spark > Verum 1 (stock pads, felt modded)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,265 of 1,486
I've just received the Ori pads. Awesome pads, add a tiny bit of bass impact / extension, but they change the imaging and overall balance a little bit, enough that overall I prefer the stock fenestrated pads as they just sound "right"

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,266 of 1,486
I guess the only concern as clearly this headphone is a fantastic value is reliability. I know all companies have reliability issues, but when it is just one person responsible for service it is a consideration. Has anybody already had to make use of a return and replacement? I believe there were a few reported occurrences and I would be interested to know the turn around time on getting service. Really pleased that everybody is enjoying this headphone so much. If I wasn't in school still without a doubt I would be trying this headphone.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #1,267 of 1,486
..if you cut the elastic meant to hold cans in and face the ports in the way, this case fits and no more without placing too much pressure on anything. You also kind of tilt the top of the headband up the way to just under the black rim at the back.
Geekria Headphones Case for Beyerdynamic DT660, DT770, DT990 DT880, AKG K240 Q701 K702 K701 K712, Sennheiser HD600 HD700 HD 580, HD 800S, HD 660S, Full-Size Hard Shell Large Carrying Case/Travel Bag.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-28-at-9-33-08-AM.jpg

They have multiple variations of the sizing, but it fit in with not too much hassle.
Check the sizes for yourself though to be sure...
Screen-Shot-2020-01-28-at-9-33-18-AM.jpg

Bought it for a friend.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,268 of 1,486
I think Verum beats out the HEX quite comfortably. What Verum does that most planars don’t is timbre. If you switch between an LCD-2C which has that typical plastic timbre and Verum you can tell the Verum is very natural here, almost like a dynamic.

I can’t even listen to my Audeze products now because the timbre is screwed. It really does make a headphone.

Could you describe this common planar timbre in comparison with the timbre of dyanamic headphones? Not many people mention this, in fact most people consider the sound of planers to be superior to dynamics, more life-like, smoother and more textured.
Only very few prefer the sound of dynamics, one of them is the founder of an alternative headphones forum, which name is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum...

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,269 of 1,486
Could you describe this common planar timbre in comparison with the timbre of dyanamic headphones? Not many people mention this, in fact most people consider the sound of planers to be superior to dynamics, more life-like, smoother and more textured.
Only very few prefer the sound of dynamics, one of them is the founder of an alternative headphones forum, which name is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum...

There is no common planar timbre. I own LCD-2C, HE6, HE500, Verum 1 and Ori, and have owned Mobius, HE400i rev. 1, HE560 V2, Argon Mk3 and M1060.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,270 of 1,486
I personally don't think each technology has inherent timbral characteristics embedded in it (with the exception being electrostatics, which have an incredibly light diaphragm, presenting a unique challenge there, but even that can be circumvent, ie. the HE1, for which a thicker diaphragm was chosen ). There are dynamics, planars and electrostatics that have excellent timbre, while others do not. Ultimately, more than technology, I think it comes down to coloration and deviations in frequency response, which almost every headphone has a unique shape of. Verum has a very uniform and smooth frequency response, which is why it has such a good timbre, IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,271 of 1,486
I guess the only concern as clearly this headphone is a fantastic value is reliability. I know all companies have reliability issues, but when it is just one person responsible for service it is a consideration. Has anybody already had to make use of a return and replacement? I believe there were a few reported occurrences and I would be interested to know the turn around time on getting service. Really pleased that everybody is enjoying this headphone so much. If I wasn't in school still without a doubt I would be trying this headphone.

The turnaround was very quick when I had to return mine. And I received a complimentary set of perf pads with it for my trouble. Not really sure what other company might do this for me.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,272 of 1,486
The turnaround was very quick when I had to return mine. And I received a complimentary set of perf pads with it for my trouble. Not really sure what other company might do this for me.
Nice, great customer service. You really can't expect that type of wonderful extra compensation from larger companies, although I also think it is a great thing to do. Verum may not even be able to do that in every instance as eventually costs mount but as long as failures are few, I think it is a wonderful show of good customer service. Thanks for the feedback, this will also help others feel more confident and allow them to buy.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,273 of 1,486
Nice, great customer service. You really can't expect that type of wonderful extra compensation from larger companies, although I also think it is a great thing to do. Verum may not even be able to do that in every instance as eventually costs mount but as long as failures are few, I think it is a wonderful show of good customer service. Thanks for the feedback, this will also help others feel more confident and allow them to buy.

No, it's not. You have pay for shipping them back, and the pads don't come with the metal rings.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,274 of 1,486
No, it's not. You have pay for shipping them back, and the pads don't come with the metal rings.

I've never seen thay shipping to manufacturer was covered.
Who need extra rings? Remove from PU pads, insert to new premium leather pads. This takes less then 1 minute.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,275 of 1,486
Removing and inserting the rings repeatedly puts some wear on the earpads. It'd be useful to be able to buy an extra pair of them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back