Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,231 of 1,486
But ToneBoosters won't work with Mac OS, right?
ToneBoosters in their download page they claim they will work with 64 bit Macs
https://www.toneboosters.com/download.html
You will have to install the 64 bit version of Jriver to host them
If you have a 64 bit Mac you can try it, I only have a windows PC where both 32 and 64 bit is supported.
JRiver will host the VST2 version which is fine for the entire bundle.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #1,232 of 1,486
Please elaborate on how headphones don't respond well to using the EQ?
When a certain section is either too high or too low you adjust it to your ears so its more to how you want. AK's have a vast range of adjustments so what am i missing?
thanks

I should have said "very well", not just "well"

Even "linear phase" DSP's and with "low-latency" disabled will audibly affect timbre and introduce listening fatigue when pushed too hard.

Please tell me what does AK's stand for?

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,233 of 1,486
I should have said "very well", not just "well"

Even "linear phase" DSP's and with "low-latency" disabled will audibly affect timbre and introduce listening fatigue when pushed too hard.

Please tell me what does AK's stand for?
astell and kerns as i mentioned i use a KANN music player. never used a computer for music so i've not tried eq apps/programs or dsp.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,236 of 1,486
mine may be starting to show the balance issue. it did it once yesterday and i tapped on it a bit gently of course and has been fine since. but does this mean it will start to become a more common issue? i was listening to them and the one side started to sound louder. i checked with another cable also.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,237 of 1,486
mine may be starting to show the balance issue. it did it once yesterday and i tapped on it a bit gently of course and has been fine since. but does this mean it will start to become a more common issue? i was listening to them and the one side started to sound louder. i checked with another cable also.

My first unit had channel imbalance that stopped occurring for four days. The loudness could vary a lot each time I put the headphones on.

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,238 of 1,486
I guess the reason i mention using EQ is folks stating bass-mids-highs are not right or highs having sibilance. To which the EQ can easily correct. I've always wondered the aversion to using it.

I'm not adverse to using eq although I rarely do anything more involved that boosting the bass a bit on bass-lite 'phones. However, I can understand why some dislike it. They just spent (usually) tons of money to make the sound as "pure" as possible, why then go change it? To them, it's like taking filtered water and sprinkling dirt in it.

Again, I don't follow this line of thinking but I learned a while ago that eq isn't this magical tool that fixes everything either. A garbage headphone that's eq'd will still sound like garbage. As far as I know you can't fix timbre or dynamics with eq either.

I believe (definitely could be wrong here) that eq was initially created for room correction on speaker setups not for making crappy speakers sound "good" although I feel like Bose would fight me on that one....

Also, as kintsaki said, some headphones just can't be eq'd very well. In my experience it's usually the bass that's the limiting factor and can't be pushed very far or at all. You don't get any more bass than before and it just distorts.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,239 of 1,486
With every single person and headphone being different, exactly how do you determine PURE anything? Your "pure" is from the producer/engineer's perspective being digitally "equalized" to their ears. Meaning you can adjust/customize using the same method to YOUR EARS AND HEADPHONES.
Correct garbage can only be improved so much but it can still be improved thru using an eq.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,240 of 1,486
With every single person and headphone being different, exactly how do you determine PURE anything? Your "pure" is from the producer/engineer's perspective being digitally "equalized" to their ears. Meaning you can adjust/customize using the same method to YOUR EARS AND HEADPHONES.
Correct garbage can only be improved so much but it can still be improved thru using an eq.

I agree 100%. And yes ... EQ IS a "magical tool" that is used on every single recording. And then usually again in mastering if/when required. If you have to use EQ to dramatic effect, then you've likely just got the wrong cans. But if they're in the right ballpark, then tweaks, using a quality device or SW is fine. This 'purist attitude' is swallowed whole by many, and most manufacturers love and encourage this. They sell a crap ton more gear because of it. Keeps the industry very healthy indeed. To teds headfood point, our ears, brain, and tastes can vary ALOT from one person to the next. Same can be said for ALL our senses. Perhaps this diagram of just how complex our hearing is will help. And this is not even taking into consideration the way our individual brains process it, and how much our individual tastes vary. It's amazing that we can agree on 'anything' audio :) Enjoy your journey ... just try and avoid the sheep trail.
ear.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,241 of 1,486
I don't know who you guys are trying to convince.... I said I use eq and I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. I was merely postulating a possible reason of why someone might think like that. But that's not really a stretch when there are also people that swear crystals on their cables make the sound better or a special shelf that increases the sound quality from a solid state amp.

I'll also admit that I'm not an expert with eq and I haven't ever been able to create any miracles with it but I'm under no illusions that someone with more experience would undoubtedly do better.

I have a pretty broad taste with sound sigs but if I do run into a headphone sound that I don't care for I usually try some pad rolling or basic mods. If I still don't like it, I move on. Life's too short to listen to headphones you don't like.

That being said, the Verum seems like it would fit my tastes nicely right out of the box, I'm just waiting for that v2 headband to become a reality....

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #1,245 of 1,486
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back