Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,217 of 1,486
Jan 11, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,218 of 1,486
I actually think these are the most neutral phones I’ve tried. They can be bright with certain recordings and gear or even dark with other gear and songs. I find the liquid spark is a good match for the Verums. I sometimes use the spark over more expensive maps because it’s so easy going and tube like on it’s presentation. The Spark and the Black Widow are two of the most non SS sounding SS I’ve heard and that’s why I love them both.

The Perf pads do seem to drop the bass off a lot and smooth of the treble which is probably why some find them relaxing and smooth and lacking in bass sustain.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,219 of 1,486
I actually think these are the most neutral phones I’ve tried. They can be bright with certain recordings and gear or even dark with other gear and songs. I find the liquid spark is a good match for the Verums. I sometimes use the spark over more expensive maps because it’s so easy going and tube like on it’s presentation. The Spark and the Black Widow are two of the most non SS sounding SS I’ve heard and that’s why I love them both.

The Perf pads do seem to drop the bass off a lot and smooth of the treble which is probably why some find them relaxing and smooth and lacking in bass sustain.

you dont have distortion with the liquid spark?
I dont know if this good for 8ohm

Jan 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,222 of 1,486
With the upgraded headband coming out soon and possibly the Ori pads to spice up the sound, I honestly don't see myself shopping for more expensive headphones any time soon.

There's not much more I wanted off my headphones, that is to sound close enough to my reference speakers with solid tonality, lifelike timbre, and non abrasiveness in the treble. A bit short of some bass punch and treble sparkle, these are honestly the closest a headphone has come to that, maybe short off the Utopia (which loses on soundstage) and the HE1 (which is arguably a bit more expensive :p)

I haven't heard the likes of the Empyrean, highest Lambda / Stax or the higher end Hifiman (Arya or HEK SE), but I am somewhat sure at least some of them will have over cooked lower treble, like a lot of high end headphones like to do (subjectively)

I think the 350$ Verums have put a lot of things into perspective and what is possible to achieve, and while I definitely am excited to listen to all the latest headphones out there, this has given me a lot of new perspective of what is possible without an exorbitant price tag attached to it (and what the likes of the K7XX, HE4XX and others arguably accomplished too)

I'll look forward to Garuspik's upcoming updates, as well as that of other manufacturers who'll I am sure will continue to innovate. What a great time to be alive with regards to headphones, innovation and technology!

IMG_20200112_162212.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,225 of 1,486
Hi,
Im considering in buying the Verum 1. I assume that shipping to europe does not add taxes and custom fees?

Many thanks
It does not :]

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,226 of 1,486
Update on my saga lol
Ok i bought a used pair with the imbalance but after lightly tapping they cleared right up. Igor stated to send them back as it's only temporary fix. I sent months ago on july 29th but so far the postal system has lost the box. I talked with Igor and he offered to rep[lace them so i made and sent both a silver and a copper occ cable to offset his costs on september 19th. Well they are lost too. I kept waiting then talked again with Igor and he sent replacement on december 18th. I received them this morning. Came with perforated pads which i was happy seeing i have plenty of 105mm solid pads to compare with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9DK3HC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970723377.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.51c64c4dRrj2zq
Letting them warm up or burn in a bit to smooth them out as first song was a bit grainy. Only the first so it could have just been that song. i use a Kann on 3.5 right now but will try 2.5 balanced tomorrow.
It amazes me how nobody/few seem to mention or use their EQ. It makes all the difference in the world as that's what its for. Everyone's ears are different so it only makes sense to adjust to your ears.
Thank you bigtime Igor!!!!!

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,227 of 1,486
Update on my saga lol
Ok i bought a used pair with the imbalance but after lightly tapping they cleared right up. Igor stated to send them back as it's only temporary fix. I sent months ago on july 29th but so far the postal system has lost the box. I talked with Igor and he offered to rep[lace them so i made and sent both a silver and a copper occ cable to offset his costs on september 19th. Well they are lost too. I kept waiting then talked again with Igor and he sent replacement on december 18th. I received them this morning. Came with perforated pads which i was happy seeing i have plenty of 105mm solid pads to compare with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9DK3HC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970723377.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.51c64c4dRrj2zq
Letting them warm up or burn in a bit to smooth them out as first song was a bit grainy. Only the first so it could have just been that song. i use a Kann on 3.5 right now but will try 2.5 balanced tomorrow.
It amazes me how nobody/few seem to mention or use their EQ. It makes all the difference in the world as that's what its for. Everyone's ears are different so it only makes sense to adjust to your ears.
Thank you bigtime Igor!!!!!

Not all headphones respond well to DSP's.
Some expensive ones do not.

Verum responds beautifully, with stock, peforated, Ori ZMF and Mr.Speakers EtherC flow pads.

Even more important is how well they scale up with high end DACs, Amps, and driven balanced.
Under such conditions they will perform as well or better than 2000$ planars.

Speaking of DSP's the free ToneBoosters bundle is an amazing one that works fine with Jriver as a host and is far better and much more versatille than SonarWorks Reference 4 (100$).

I also have an early pair with the driver inbalance problem that I need to send to Igor for repair

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,228 of 1,486
Verum responds beautifully, with stock, peforated, Ori ZMF and Mr.Speakers EtherC flow pads.

Speaking of DSP's the free ToneBoosters bundle is an amazing one that works fine with Jriver as a host and is far better and much more versatille than SonarWorks Reference 4 (100$).

I also have an early pair with the driver inbalance problem that I need to send to Igor for repair

But ToneBoosters won't work with Mac OS, right?

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,229 of 1,486

Please elaborate on how headphones don't respond well to using the EQ?
When a certain section is either too high or too low you adjust it to your ears so its more to how you want. AK's have a vast range of adjustments so what am i missing?
thanks

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,230 of 1,486
Please elaborate on how headphones don't respond well to using the EQ?
When a certain section is either too high or too low you adjust it to your ears so its more to how you want. AK's have a vast range of adjustments so what am i missing?
thanks
I agree, I was wondering the same thing myself. There are several variables at play in such situations, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back