Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #1,126 of 1,486
I found the customers behaviour more over-the-top and not needed. All he had to do was PM Garuspik and expalin the issue not come on here like Garuspik stole his wallet. I get it there's a long wait and it's annoying when things happen but this is basically a one man show, hand made product with care and attention and when orders are pouring it and you're in work mode mistakes can happen. The Customer IMO acting more childish and entitled over an honest mistake that will be put right.

As for the comments, lighten up man, if people want nice replies don't come at people with messege saying WTFFFFF and all this sillyness, you'll get an equal reply.

I've always said his customer service could be better i.e contact, emails but then again everyone is different, his products always arrive; but yeah I agree in some cases. I feel in this instance the customer got the same reaction he gave. We always moan about customer service but then never look our own behaviour.

The 'Internet/Amazon Prime/Instant Gratification' generation. Those here of a 'certain age' (old farts) remember actually having to wait for things. We couldn't even dream of being able to acquire something from someplace outside of North America unless you had a very special contact or family member. Even then, the likelihood of even knowing about a product from far away was slim. The waiting for something actually made you appreciate it much more. It's a different world today. Knowing it's a very small operation, and wait times are long, some still order these and expect that their experience will/should be different than the rest. Go buy something on Amazon then and get your quick fix ... and quit your bloody whining. And if you really need to, then do it private and spare the rest of us. Thank you.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,127 of 1,486
The 'Internet/Amazon Prime/Instant Gratification' generation. Those here of a 'certain age' (old farts) remember actually having to wait for things. We couldn't even dream of being able to acquire something from someplace outside of North America unless you had a very special contact or family member. Even then, the likelihood of even knowing about a product from far away was slim. The waiting for something actually made you appreciate it much more. It's a different world today. Knowing it's a very small operation, and wait times are long, some still order these and expect that their experience will/should be different than the rest. Go buy something on Amazon then and get your quick fix ... and quit your bloody whining. And if you really need to, then do it private and spare the rest of us. Thank you.

“And get off my lawn!”

But I agree. The company is transparent, the service is great, and the product is what we were told it is.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #1,128 of 1,486
Which brings me to my review...

I have had the headphones for a couple of months now. I’ll start with what was not:

There were no flaws in production.
There was no issues with sound balance or anything going dead.

There were some indications of hand build (one of the titanium knobs had a little bit of roughness where sanding didn’t soften all the edges...). I love this. I really appreciated getting something people are actually building.

And how was the sound?

It’s interesting! I expected to spend more time listening to music with these headphones than I actually have. This is because I tend to watch Netflix with them :wink:

I would describe the sound as cinematic: it has detail, it has a thump of base, but it’s not muggy. It’s great with a good movie soundscape.

There is a lot of clarity in these headphones. While easy to listen to, it’s not the same dreamy experience as a QC35. The music or audio has a little more bite, it’s a little more urgent. This is fun but it also presents an interesting decision! Sometimes I use my QC35 or Huawei USB-C earphones when I don’t want to focus. I pick up the Verum 1 when I want to pay more attention.

Would I recommend? Absolutely.

The only proviso I have is for the field as a whole. People spend way too much time bickering over the supposed nuances of various bits of equipment. There is no point in seeking the Verum to be better than X or vice versa. Just know it sounds nice and you will enjoy it. It’s a steal at the price.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #1,130 of 1,486
I never expected Verum to sound this good. People always raise an eyebrow when I say they're better in all areas vs the LCD-3. They sound better than the Empy, not quite as resolving as the LCD-4 but they have a more natural timbre, better vocal depth and emotion, liquidity.

I've sold a lot of headphones over the years but Verum still stay, it Was hand build by a guy in Ukraine who made promosis and delivered. Years ago in old London you'd go and buy something and you could feel the craftsmanship, the effort and care. With Verum you really. This isn't some Chinese factory driver with QC problems, cough cough Audeze. This is one man who knows his sound.

I really hope that some customers don't put off Garuspik making more headphones because he has a gift for this. The guy built a bloody planar by hand and it already beats out the 2C, Ananda, Arya and 2F, aeon comfortably and it's only 350. I've always said he's selling these too cheap, this is £1000 sound easily.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,131 of 1,486
Audeze engineers and designs their own drivers. I don’t expect the Verum 1 to sound like and Audeze, though, just to sound really good. I actually dig the unique looks quite a bit!

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,132 of 1,486
I never expected Verum to sound this good. People always raise an eyebrow when I say they're better in all areas vs the LCD-3. They sound better than the Empy, not quite as resolving as the LCD-4 but they have a more natural timbre, better vocal depth and emotion, liquidity.

I've sold a lot of headphones over the years but Verum still stay, it Was hand build by a guy in Ukraine who made promosis and delivered. Years ago in old London you'd go and buy something and you could feel the craftsmanship, the effort and care. With Verum you really. This isn't some Chinese factory driver with QC problems, cough cough Audeze. This is one man who knows his sound.

I really hope that some customers don't put off Garuspik making more headphones because he has a gift for this. The guy built a bloody planar by hand and it already beats out the 2C, Ananda, Arya and 2F, aeon comfortably and it's only 350. I've always said he's selling these too cheap, this is £1000 sound easily.
Totally agree. It's an amazing headphone and yes he knows his stuff. For me the Verum1 handily beats a long, long string of headphones that I had and sold as well (inc Ether2, LCD2C, HEXv2, Clear, Aeons, HE400...) . It's also a headphone that I can listen to for a long time, and that sounds normal, real and puts you 'there' in a concert - well, ...with a good amp at least. Technically there are better headphones, the Utopia for example, but it doesn't sound as natural. Only the ZMF Auteur that I've been glued to the last week, opened my eyes to how a more resolving headphone can still sound good. The Auteur is one I will be keeping alongside the Verum - when and if those 2 Verum cups come back from repairs.....no idea where they are!!! :)

Anyway it's an amazing project, Verum. I can also sympathise that there's just so much to get right for a new company and from production line challenges, service delivery to communications and setting expectations, ... all on top of creating a headphone... so I hope people cut him some slack :) He says he will also offer the Mk2 headband as an upgrade.. so Verum is trying to put new types of service into this market, which is I really like to see .. I mean there's also established brands where the headband breaks within months...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,133 of 1,486
I found the customers behaviour more over-the-top and not needed. All he had to do was PM Garuspik and expalin the issue not come on here like Garuspik stole his wallet. I get it there's a long wait and it's annoying when things happen but this is basically a one man show, hand made product with care and attention and when orders are pouring it and you're in work mode mistakes can happen. The Customer IMO acting more childish and entitled over an honest mistake that will be put right.

As for the comments, lighten up man, if people want nice replies don't come at people with messege saying WTFFFFF and all this sillyness, you'll get an equal reply.

I've always said his customer service could be better i.e contact, emails but then again everyone is different, his products always arrive; but yeah I agree in some cases. I feel in this instance the customer got the same reaction he gave. We always moan about customer service but then never look our own behaviour.

if the operation is to remain the same, sure. if there are goals to grow, the seller and the customer are not on the same level. "equal reply" is not what good companies give. they are all smiles and bitch about the needy customers behind their back.

it wasn't my incident, but this sort of thing is costing him new sales. I have chimed in several times with my glowing thoughts on the headphones. I'm rooting for him. IF he wants scale, the wait times have to go down. how many people do you think have read this thread and decided not to order? these forums also expose poor service and help potential buyers. I'm glad that all the people who have had issues here and other forums are posting publicly for the good of all. the world is moving faster. people who sell goods and services that keep getting faster are growing, those who don't are going away.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,134 of 1,486
I think we live in an overly sensitive world where we(the customer) think we can act how we want and always get a polite response. I'm all for people giving back what they're given. It's a cowards way of thinking you can't give the customer just as much stick they give you.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,135 of 1,486
I think we live in an overly sensitive world where we(the customer) think we can act how we want and always get a polite response. I'm all for people giving back what they're given. It's a cowards way of thinking you can't give the customer just as much stick they give you.

Being nice to costumers is just a way to make more money, but i completely agree with your statement

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,136 of 1,486
I have been following this thread and reviews for a while now. So far nothing has really put me off potentially ordering a pair in the future when my situation improves. It looks like over time the product and process has evolved. I'm all for a slower and quality lifestyle so I see supporting a company like this a bonus. A custom one person operation boutique headphone @ 350us boggles my mind. There was a cable mixup and I do understand wait times can build up anticipation and anxiety and deflate expectation. How we deal with disappointment online and in life is key. I certainly haven't mastered it but we are works in progress... Here's hoping this relatively low priced beast puts some impetus on the overall industry to lower prices to a saner price point. Cheers Verum Audio!

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,137 of 1,486
I forgot about my order after waiting for more then 5 months. It was a nice surprise when it arrived at my work place.
It doesn't look symmetrical because it offset extra to the left by almost a millimeter. I am not sending it back because I am not symmetrical myself(who is?) and it not worth the time.
This is my first good open headphone and the sound coming out is amazing for it price! Enjoying it for more then 4 month now.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,138 of 1,486
20191209_013320_zpsvvnksrch.jpg

anyone else encountered these issues with their driver on both ear cups?

1. why is there blue marker markings on the magnets?

2. why is there a strip of plastic/glass covering part of the drivers on both ear cups? (i see online photos of the verum one, everyone have full circular cut out for that piece of plastic/glass sandwiched between the magnets and coil)

@Garuspik my friend, what's going on here?

20191209_021745_zpsr00lpjon.jpg
20191209_021923_zpsqnufnbtx.jpg

3. are the ear pads supposed to be this thick? I've seen online pictures where they have less thick ear pads, i'm concerned it reduces the image preciseness of sounds, or overall sound. will it?

4. why is the opening of the ear cup so small when the pictures i see online of others' having ear pad with bigger ear holes. this hole is so small i don't think it even fit a baby's ear?

5. i see the perforated earpads u sell on your website. u claim all your ear pads are hand made, okay to that. but i dont see your perforated earpads being so thick or having such small ear hole openings as well. Explain yourself.

again, @Garuspik what exactly is going on, is everything in product spec as intended? why do i feel like i have a totally different product compared to other verum one customers?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,139 of 1,486
1. why is there blue marker markings on the magnets?

Sorry for that! Next time I'll use red marker! My mistake ;( Red marker sounds much better. You can try remove blue marks and use red marker. Waiting for your impressions!

2. why is there a strip of plastic/glass covering part of the drivers on both ear cups? (i see online photos of the verum one, everyone have full circular cut out for that piece of plastic/glass sandwiched between the magnets and coil)

All later batches has this "strip". You've received something closer to mk2.

@Garuspik my friend, what's going on here?

Apocalypse!

3. are the ear pads supposed to be this thick? I've seen online pictures where they have less thick ear pads, i'm concerned it reduces the image preciseness of sounds, or overall sound. will it?

I'll say frightening thing... what about have a listen of your new cans? :wink:

4. why is the opening of the ear cup so small when the pictures i see online of others' having ear pad with bigger ear holes. this hole is so small i don't think it even fit a baby's ear?

Let's discuss this! Do you have measurements of baby ears? (I assume we're speaking about human babies)

5. i see the perforated earpads u sell on your website. u claim all your ear pads are hand made, okay to that. but i dont see your perforated earpads being so thick or having such small ear hole openings as well. Explain yourself.

Mmm, I don't know how to explain that different pads are... different :D

again, @Garuspik what exactly is going on, is everything in product spec as intended? why do i feel like i have a totally different product compared to other verum one customers?

You've received in fact Verum 1 mk2 with old headband. It's slightly better soundwise and absolutely problem free. Why you don't listen to them and tell your impressions instead of playing the "find the difference" game?

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,140 of 1,486
The marks are made for more easy perfect production. So no worry.
The standard pads are exactly like this.
The pics of the driver I cannot detect good enough... but if it's like you describe it I have no answer... a variation or technical update I may suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back