Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #31 of 1,486
EDIT: Revised based upon information from Garuspik, the Verum 1 founder. Apparently he is banned from Head-fi and can no longer post here. :triportsad:

The lack of cost-effective international warranty service is understandable, but something to factor in when deciding whether or not to purchase.

From the U.S., you're looking at US$36.75 to mail a 0.95 kilogram 10-inch cube sized box by 1st class international mail, and US$55.00 using Priority Mail non-flat rate packaging assuming under 2 pounds in weight, the latter Priority Mail rate being insurable via USPS.

Return shipping from the Ukraine to the U.S. is US$18.00 for the same 0.9kg 10x10x10 box, if not a warranty issue.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #32 of 1,486
Only a few days left for the Kickstarter campaign. I've had some fun pad rolling with these and changes are pretty astonishing. The pads @Garuspik had on this pair are different from the first and create a very open and wide sound stage with excellent air. I tested 10 different pads and settled on the only pads I didn't buy (of course it's this one ha!). I think it's the Dekoni Sheepskin Ear Pads for AKG K Series Headphones:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...heepskin-ear-pads-forakg-k-series-headphones/

The Dekoni AKG pads give Verum a very natural and warm sound. The midrange sounds very accurate. Bass is extended and gives proper support to the sound. Treble is very even with no peaks or dips. The pads lack a touch of air.
Ether C pads were another interesting choice. They were the most laid back of the bunch. Very warm and easy going, no harshness here.
My other favorite was Dekoni DT Series Sheepskin pads. They had a little more lower treble kind of like HD650 but were pretty warm. They were excellent with movies, sounded very similar to a theater.

Overall, the Verum is an amazing headphone regardless of price. I personally would take it over most planar headphones just because of the very even treble response. Congrats @Garuspik!

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 1,486
EDIT: Revised based upon information from Garuspik, the Verum 1 founder. Apparently he is banned from Head-fi and can no longer post here. :triportsad:

The lack of cost-effective international warranty service is understandable, but something to factor in when deciding whether or not to purchase.

From the U.S., you're looking at US$36.75 to mail a 0.95 kilogram 10-inch cube sized box by 1st class international mail, and US$55.00 using Priority Mail non-flat rate packaging assuming under 2 pounds in weight, the latter Priority Mail rate being insurable via USPS.

Return shipping from the Ukraine to the U.S. is US$18.00 for the same 0.9kg 10x10x10 box, if not a warranty issue.

Why was he banned :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #34 of 1,486
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 1,486
My guess it's the "Member of the Trade" section. Once he moved from strictly DIY to a Kickstarter launch, he fell under those rules and unless he was willing to payola, he got axed. I disagree, but them's the rules around here. Ya gots to pay to play.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #36 of 1,486
My guess it's the "Member of the Trade" section. Once he moved from strictly DIY to a Kickstarter launch, he fell under those rules and unless he was willing to payola, he got axed. I disagree, but them's the rules around here. Ya gots to pay to play.
I agree with this.

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 1,486
Only a few days left for the Kickstarter campaign. I've had some fun pad rolling with these and changes are pretty astonishing. The pads @Garuspik had on this pair are different from the first and create a very open and wide sound stage with excellent air. I tested 10 different pads and settled on the only pads I didn't buy (of course it's this one ha!). I think it's the Dekoni Sheepskin Ear Pads for AKG K Series Headphones:
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...heepskin-ear-pads-forakg-k-series-headphones/

The Dekoni AKG pads give Verum a very natural and warm sound. The midrange sounds very accurate. Bass is extended and gives proper support to the sound. Treble is very even with no peaks or dips. The pads lack a touch of air.
Ether C pads were another interesting choice. They were the most laid back of the bunch. Very warm and easy going, no harshness here.
My other favorite was Dekoni DT Series Sheepskin pads. They had a little more lower treble kind of like HD650 but were pretty warm. They were excellent with movies, sounded very similar to a theater.

Overall, the Verum is an amazing headphone regardless of price. I personally would take it over most planar headphones just because of the very even treble response. Congrats @Garuspik!

Are they worth getting if I already have the HE-500? How do they compare with the latest pads?

Thanks

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 1,486
Are they worth getting if I already have the HE-500? How do they compare with the latest pads?

Thanks
Stock vs stock, I would say Verum is the more neutral headphone. There is less of a treble peak with Verum compared to HE-500 but Verum loses just a bit in resolution, which could be from the tensioning amount or distortion.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #41 of 1,486
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #42 of 1,486
Has anyone received theirs yet?

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 1,486
Has anyone received theirs yet?
I have! I absolutely love them, easily the best quality cans I've ever tried! They have this fluid transparent sound to them. I'm working on improving my measurement rig so I can get more accurate treble readings, but so far the results are insane. Flat line from 10Hz to 200Hz or so, and aside from peaks and bumps here and there, it stays mostly flat up to the 1K area. Then the treble is very inoffensive, with no large peaks to ruin things. They extend way higher than I thought they would too, with energy way way up in the 14K area. With the improved rig I should be able to get better treble readings, and generally a more accurate graph.

The channel matching seems to be exactly as insane as advertised, as the drivers are 90% the same in measurements.

I'm running EQ on mine, which will change slightly as I get my rig in order. I tried pad rolling, and the stock pads aren't just among the best I've tried, they're also the best measuring ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back