Versatile balanced amplifier needed
Jun 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Fellow Head-fiers,
I have been trying to find a good balanced amplifier for a while and I think the beta 22 might fit the bill even though it is slightly expensive and labor intensive.
My needs are probably a bit uncommon. I need something that works well with a very diverse crowd of headphones, right from new in-ears to fullsize balanced headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800s and HE-5LEs.

The reviews I have read did not include tests with balanced in-ears so I would really appreciate it if someone could educate me or perhaps recommend a design capable of doing this. Any amplifier suggestions are very welcome!

The amp will become a star in the techPowerUp.com's headphone test rig and will get a rewarding life at the center of my 30 square meter appartment :)

Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Frederik

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 5
If you're willing to go the custom route, then you can pick from just about anything on the DIY field. Just about anything can be built as a balanced amp. Most solid state amps will work fine (including the Beta22, of course) and if you're interested in tubes, pick the transformer-coupled designs over OTL, since OTL is (usually) better suited towards high impedance headphones.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 5
If you want to use IEMs on the same amp as the big ones, make sure you don't get a gain that's too high, or get a volume control without enough range (either imbalance at the edges or too few steps). A gain switch would work, but some designers skip one in favor of keeping it simple. Alternatively, I understand some have had success with a passive volume control in the chain or some kind of digital volume attenuation. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 5
B22 (fully balanced with s22 dual power unit) with HD800 has been the show stopper for me, ending a long search for a rig that doesn't leave me wanting. I haven't found any weaknesses yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back