VentureCraft Go-Dap GD-04 for iPhone 4
Apr 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #61 of 161
They already do ship it there...I don't think wer'e supposed to post links up here so I'm pm-ing you.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #62 of 161
You are allowed to post links,...as your not the company representative. Quite a few people really want this,...

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #63 of 161
Apologies for the delay, you're right - I confirmed with the mods.

The basic Go-DAP can be ordered online & delivered overseas (as far as I know, any country??).

Their page is :-

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/index.php

Note that the homepage contains information about the Unit 4.0 upgrades, not in the Unit 4.0 link instead. As mentioned above you can order the base model from online but if you're requiring upgrades, you'll need to mail them for a custom quote.

I'll put this info into the review page when I get home later tonight.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #64 of 161
Apologies for the delay, you're right - I confirmed with the mods.

The basic Go-DAP can be ordered online & delivered overseas (as far as I know, any country??).

Their page is :-

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/index.php

Note that the homepage contains information about the Unit 4.0 upgrades, not in the Unit 4.0 link instead. As mentioned above you can order the base model from online but if you're requiring upgrades, you'll need to mail them for a custom quote.

I'll put this info into the review page when I get home later tonight.

Thank you!!! I'm sure everyone here will be quite pleased with information - myself included. :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #65 of 161
I'm really shocked to see this thing not getting more attention here. I would have already jumped on it, if I wasn't already committed to getting the iphone 5 later this year. But if he also comes out with an iphone 5 version, I'll be all over it. This product is something people been asking for awhile...a direct lower price competitor to the clas and fostex. I know it's made to fit in an iphone, but you can get a idevice cable with a female end to still use with this. Or am I missing something?

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #66 of 161
Yes you can use an iPod extension cable with it. I mentioned it in a different thread a few months back...I should have shared that info here too :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597705/portable-rig-for-iphone-4s#post_8181717

You're right that the Go-DAP should really be getting more attention overseas. With the local Japan hifi shows (Tokyo Headphone Festival, Tokyo Heaphone Amp Festival, Osaka Headphone Festival, the VentureCraft guys are there to show their products. they did go to CES to show the Go-DAP there too (one of Jude's CES reviews on YouTube) but I think VentureCaft needs to show some presence to some dedicated audio shows overseas too rather than something big like CES where their products can get overshadowed by many of the other big fancy names there.

If they have the likes of InnerFidelity or (who else are the other headphone/amp/DAC/DAP reviewers??), I think they'll get a lot more coverage. Also letting some of the end user consumers (e.g. Big name Head-Fi members) demo & write reviews would help improve the coverage. Now some audio manufacturers & big names who are in the business of audio have had the opportunity to demo the Go-DAP but they're not writing reviews. I just happen to go through a phase where I bought every portable iDevice DAC/Amp and came across the Go-DAP and was very happy with it.

After purchasing 2xGo-DAPs and upgrading both did I talk to VentureCraft more and recently got the additional Go-DAPs on loan to review. I can check with them but I think I'm th only end consumer given that privilege. I'll talk to them and encourage them to have more end consumers demo their offerings. Would be nice to see if someone else would challenge or agree with my review.

P.S. it appears though locally in Japan, their sales seems to be pretty good at least in the shops. I don't know about online sales. So if it gets popular overseas, I'd be curious if they can handle the volume.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #67 of 161
Ah, a Head-Fi demo tour would be awesome.

I would be all over this if it were modular, so I could just buy the updated case when the new iPhone comes out, instead of a completely new unit and allowing you to more gracefully use it with an iPad and iPod.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #68 of 161
I will be attending the Village Headphone Meet in L.A. on Sunday, April22 2012, and bring with me the new white GO-DAP 4.0, which I haven't been able to turn on because my Senns HD700 haven't been shipped out and my other phones Sennheiser's TR180's are wireless and cannot do an amplifier.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #69 of 161
I've got a loaner from VentureCraft - thank you. 

It is great. Remember, I reviewed the first unit, the one built for the iPhone 3G/S and loved it. The new unit is much better - toslink optical out, better protective case, better selection of upgradeable components (pricey though), easier to access gain and reset switches and some new mode called ASR that is supposed to help expand the highs for lossy music. I'm not one for psychoacoustics, so I'll leave that for you boffins. 

Suffice it to say, I'll be queuing up at the Tokyo headphone show to get one. I love that it does sport everything all in one. I also own the CLAS and National - overall a more powerful system, but one that is more than twice the bulk. Remember, the GoDap works with every iPod that has a 30-pin, at least since 2004. I used four today already with it and my iPhone 4s. It burns through battery at the rate of about 8-9 hours per charge, but it also fast charges the iPhone when you just need the juice.

There isn't anything on the market like it that I've seen. I'm also perplexed that more people aren't talking about it as it is the most intriguing transformer gear for the iPhone in the world and one I can't do with out - especially to hook up to my home system. I'm not a 24/96 person though I do have some albums. So, the loss of it isn't a problem for me. 

Now, for the sound, it is similar to the older model: very clear highs, mid-focused with great separation in the bass. There is background noise if you use sensitive earphones, but it's regulated and not grainy. Again I'll say it, I will be picking one up at the headphone show... or borrow this one and leave somewhere... (evil grin).

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #70 of 161
Nice one. Which OpAmp are you reviewing? I've got the AD8397 (mine), & OPA1612 (loaner) which I wrote a review in the previous page. There's a newer AD8066 OpAmp coming up (or actually a guy in Oz has just bought one) which I'm hoping to get my hands on to test and review too.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #71 of 161
I've got the OPA2134 in 'mine' which is according to Venture, a standard spec. It really sounds good. Have you tried all these with diff opamps, or are you changing them yourself? I've not opened up (and won't) the loaner as ... it is a loaner. When I get mine, I'll do it for sure.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #72 of 161
I started with Muses8820 and soon after the BB OPA2134 in Sept/Oct. Then in Dec they announced they offered OP-275, AD8397, & OPA-2604 upgrades. I upgraded my Muses8820 to OP-275 (then sold it off to a friend), & the OPA2134 to AD8397 and I still have this. I never tried the OPA-2604 though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533084/venturecraft-go-dap-gd-04-for-iphone-4/45#post_7995394

Recently I was given the OPA1612 & Muses8820 ('cos I forgot what it sounded after so many months) to listen and I came up with the review I quoted in my previous post. I've returned the Muses8820 for now and hope to get the AD8066 next month to test that too.

So far though, I have tested all but think I still like the AD8397 and the OPA1612 a very close second.

When we meet at the May festival, I'm happy to bring along both OpAmps for you to have a listen - hope you have some closed IEMs or headphones :wink:.

I don't know your opinion, but at least to me the Go-DAP triumphs over the CLAS (which I still own), and the HP-P1.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #73 of 161
I will love to hear the AD8397 - that is a favourite of mine. I'll bring my Sleek Audio CT7 - nothing more closed exists in my lineup now, and my Audio Technica ES10 and maybe DT1350. No, that is too much. But I'll be getting one as the BB OPA 2134 is pleasant enough and the features for the price are killer. I'm getting a hardware converter this weekend to test how well the optical is implemented vs. MacBook Pro and Airport Express and Edirol FA-66. Oh yes, and against the CLAS Solo. 

As a single unit, nothing exists to compare. Again, the original, non-digital version of the GoDap is a favourite of mine.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #74 of 161
You should know though that optical out of the Go-DAP ain't it's best. Sounds rather flat compared to optical out of the Mac (or iBasso DX100).

I've talked to VentureCraft about it and they think it's due to the upsampling from 44.1kHz -> 48kHz. However I've got some AAC at 48kHz and it sounds flat still. Something about the Go-DAP's optical out implementation that, at least to my ears, sound dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back