Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Jul 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #242 of 441
Ok, so The sound was slightly muffled so I just cut out the extra cloth thingy that's intended to cover the drivers on the velour pads and it really improved the sound. Also I loaded up your Electri-Q settings into Foobar wasapi and it sounds really fantastic in conjunction with the modded pads. Sorrry, but I'm really a novice when it comes to audiophile stuff so I cant accurately decribe the way that this effects the sound, but definetely seems wider and the bass seems improved. Super comfortable too, really liking the changes. :)

Listening to Blood Pressure by Ephixa was surreal.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #243 of 441

Quote:
Ok, so The sound was slightly muffled so I just cut out the extra cloth thingy that's intended to cover the drivers on the velour pads and it really improved the sound. Also I loaded up your Electri-Q settings into Foobar wasapi and it sounds really fantastic in conjunction with the modded pads. Sorrry, but I'm really a novice when it comes to audiophile stuff so I cant accurately decribe the way that this effects the sound, but definetely seems wider and the bass seems improved. Super comfortable too, really liking the changes. :)

The main part of my EQ that I spent many hours tweaking was actually the treble region :p

There I eliminated all spikes in frequency response (at least to my ears), so the treble should sound extremely neutral now (crisp but extremely smooth, instrumental and voice fidelity should have increased many-fold). You could try clicking the "A/B" button in Electri-Q while playing some flac music to A/B between flatline (no EQ) and the EQ to notice the treble change.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #244 of 441

Quote:

I did this with the 940 pads on top of the stock ones as well a few weeks ago and absolutely loved how much more comfortable the M50's became. The only problem was, I still thought they sounded a little quiet in the mids compared to stock. So, I dug up the "How to make M50's mid less recessed & increase soundstage" thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551679/how-to-make-m50-s-mid-less-recessed-increase-soundstage-56k. I only did the part regarding the pads since I wanted to be able to reverse it if I hated the changes. Peeled back the foam from the stock pads, put both sets of pads back on, and now it sounds much better to me. I usually don't mod things too often, but this was an awesome set of changes with good results (for me at least).

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #245 of 441
For anyone still wondering how the 440 pads fit on the M50s compared to the 840s on the M50s - The 440s fit better on the M50s due to being slightly larger than the stock M50 pads (but comfort of 840 pads is much better - pad is softer material and foam is cushier).  The pleather and foam isn't as soft on the 440s as on the 840s but I felt the 840s had too much movement on the M50s.
So size-wise for earpads: M50<440<840. Comfort shares this same order. But due to too much movement of having the 840 pads on the M50s I put the 440 pads on instead and put the 840 pads onto the SRH440 cans.  M50 pads are cracking so they just hang out in the box.
Another thing to note - the material lining of the pads that sit between your ears and the drivers are a lot thinner on the 440s than on the 840s.  I found this allowed for a slightly clearer and more up front sound from the M50s. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #246 of 441
Okay so it looks as though the Beyer DT250 Velour pads are back in stock. Has anyone tried both the 250's and the Shure 940s?

I'm definitely ready to invest in a pair of velour pads, just not sure which of the two offers the most comfort with the least negative impact on sound. 

Like many above, am not willing to do anything which is not easily reversible. 

Any and all insights appreciated! 

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #247 of 441
Well since no one replied, I went ahead and tried the Shure SRH940 velour pads.

Found them to be a bit muffled when over the original pads. No doubt 
due to the resulting double layer of center foam with both stacked.
If I was willing to do a non-reversible mod I'm pretty sure that
removing the center foam of one or the other would solve that.

Thought they worked best replacing the stock pads altogether, and didn't
find them to be too loose at all.

They've got enough give to rotate a bit by hand when the phones
aren't being worn, but are not so loose that they would
come off unintentionally. Stay in place perfectly 
during use. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #248 of 441
Will the beyerdynamic DT 235 pads work on the M50's?

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #249 of 441

Quote:
Will the beyerdynamic DT 235 pads work on the M50's?

The consensus of this thread is that pretty much all velour pads of similar sizes to the M50's will fit, but won't sound nearly as good as the stock pads.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #250 of 441
The only reason I asked is because I bought the M50's tonight from a headfier and was thinking of getting the 235's as I never owned anything by the company. I thought the socks thing you posted looked like a good idea as well. :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #251 of 441

Quote:
The consensus of this thread is that pretty much all velour pads of similar sizes to the M50's will fit, but won't sound nearly as good as the stock pads.

Nonsense.

You do know that consensus by definition implies unanimity?

Some reported no negative effect in their experience, some report a difference but not necessarily worse, and many reported a limited negative impact, but more than acceptable for the increased comfort. 

Furthermore countless people have reported that further minor mods brought the sound back to a level very close to, if not just as good as the stock pads.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #253 of 441

Just sold my M50's and have a brand new (less than 1 hour of use) pair of the Velour Shure SRH940
pads that the buyer didn't take. I've already got an RMA to return them but thought
I'd offer them up to another head-fier before sending them off tomorrow. 

Paid $24 + $5 shipping (which was the best price I could find online)

To return them I'm going to have to pay the shipping in any case, so I'll offer them
for $22 and cover the shipping cost myself. 

Just let me know right away, because if no one takes me up on the offer
they'll be on their way back to the retailer by late afternoon on Tuesday.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #254 of 441
I am the lucky owner of inarguably
tongue.gif
the best headphones in the world; the Beyerdynamic DT-150s.

I am also considering the ATH-M50 as a work set. The only disadvantage I can find, is of course the sticky ears problem, hence I went to this thread. My previous problem with using custom pads however, is that they can alter the distance to the driver dramatically, and hence change the sound characteristics quite a lot.

My crazy tip (I might or might not go for this with the ATH-M50s):

When my Beyerdynamic DT-150s started popping at the seams, I decided to make a controversial move; I went out and bought a new pair of expensive socks. I picked a thinner sock that could absorb moisture while not being too fluffly (fluffyness equals warmth), with a silky surface. I wrapped each (elastic) sock around it's own pad until I had a tight fit, then cut open a hole in the middle (didn't even bother to glue it on there).

This doesn't change the distance to the driver, nor the sound characteristics, and you can get any surface you want. The fluff isn't what is important, the important part is to have something that can temporarily absorb that thin layer of moisture. If you want to get fancy with glue etc, I'm sure it can look quite professional. I didn't bother.

my 5 cents :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back