Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Jul 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #122 of 441
Since this thread has popped up again I'll add that electrical tape to the undersides of the DT250 pads is definitely the way to go, I covered three of each set of bass vents (2 sets on each phone) with electrical tape too.

No screen at all is best but if like me your ears touch the plastic and chafe, a layer of tight material (pantyhose material) rather than any foam is better as it is much more transparent.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #123 of 441
Well, I know this thread is a week or two old, but I just ordered the DT250 velour pads and I'm going to drop them in when they come in a few days.  I think the only sound tweaking I'll be doing is covering the porous backing of the ear pad in electrical tape. 

I have to say, the sound by itself is pretty darn good stock though.  Its maybe a little weighted on the bass, but I don't really mind it.  For the price, its hard to beat the sound.  I hate the stock earpads though.  When they were new, they were soft and comfy - now they're just painful.  Not even close to being comfortable.  I really hope the velour improves this.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #126 of 441

Quote:
The DT250 pads. DT770 is too large to fit properly.

Yup, and just remember to tape up the holes in the back of the pads before you put them on.  Since the M50 is a closed can and the DT250 is open or partially open (I forgot), you need to close those holes so you won't get sound leakage.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #128 of 441
I did hear people mention a change in signature due to the velour in the 250 and the different density in the center material.  I like the idea of the 840 pads because the only real change in SQ would be the larger space.  The rest is purely comfort and quality.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #130 of 441

Quote:
I never tried the SHR840 pads, but DT250 pads without the tape made the sound a bit boomier. With the tape, they were just like the stock M50 pads, only more comfortable.

I'm not sure I agree.  I taped up my DT250 pads and put them on my M50's yesterday, and I have to say it still sounded boomier.  I think I might pull off the pads again and cover up two of the portings on each driver later today to tone it down a bit.  They are definitely more comfortable though.  The only reason I might keep the bass the way it is would be the fact that I have a pair of AD700's arriving tomorrow and if the bass is as bad as people grieve about constantly, I will want a punchy set to keep around for when I'm in that kind of mood.  If I tone down the bass too much on the M50's and make them more balanced, I won't really have a good "bass-head" (if it can really be called that) setup anymore.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #131 of 441
I cannot believe it worked. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic Velour Pads for DT250 being used on my Sony MDR-V6 but I bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and after several days of sweaty ears I could not take it anymore and tried the Velour pads and as soon as I put them on to listen to it I switched back to the stock pads because the sound was so muddy I could not stand it. It was worse than my V6's.

I go searching and find this thread and today I went out and bought Vinyl and Masking tape and put it on the headphones and pads (I covered the end and middle holes on the headphones). I screw back on the grills (I did this for the V6's so that the grills will stay in place and make it harder for anything to get under them and you can do the same for the M50's) and put the pads on and damn I could not believe I was using the same pads. They actually sound a little better than with the stock pads did before.

Huge thumbs up for this thread for solving a very annoying issue for me. I may try the DT770 pads but mod them to fit somehow. They look a lot better than the black ones and I rather have the DT250 for my V6s since the stock pads on that are horrible.

L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #132 of 441
Going to try this mod as well.
Does taping the back of the 250 pads reduce sound leakage?
One of the reasons I got the M50 was to not disturb others when
listening outside my home.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #133 of 441
I did not pay attention to the sound leak when I originally put them on but after the mod I think they leak a bit more than with the stock pads but it does all depend on how loud you are listening. I know I can turn them up really loud and they can easily be heard from 6ft away but I would probably deaf it a matter of minutes. They do however leak less than when they were on my V6's so I do not know if it was the mod or headphones.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #135 of 441
Sounds like there are a bunch of negatives that come along with the velours.
I'll try them out when they arrive. Now I wonder what genuine leather pads
do to these headphones.

BTW does taping the back of the pads do something to the sound other than
reducing a bit of leakage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back