Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #106 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried these with the DT250 pads, but without the foam-grill bit in the middle? Because I wonder if it would improve the detail a bit, after all, any material between the driver and your ears must muffle a little detail right?

I forgot about this thread. I tried it without that grill (see my earlier post), I think it helps, but not nearly enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiimote007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm wondering..

I recently tried using my 840 replacement pads (The second set that the phones come with) for my m50's. They fit on, but they turn rather easily if you push them a bit...

So, for a pair of pads to "fit" must they be fully tight and perfect like the originals? Just stay on? or is it okay to be between those two?

Did you try them out? They don't have to fit too tightly, the originals don't really fit that tight (the beyers fit much tighter, which is why I think they have problems). It'll be fine, but the sound will change. It seems that the better seal there is the more bass there is.

I'd be interested to see how those shure pads work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgg123321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My athm50's are about 3 months old, and I bought them from an authorized seller on ebay new. The problem is that I live in Canada, would ATH send me a new pair of pads? The ones I have are really hard in one area
frown.gif
They seem to be cracking. Do you have to pay for the replacement?

Thanks!

You should contact them, I bet they would for a price. Others have said they bought pads from AT. My pleather pads are starting to show some wear too. I guess I'll just have to be carefull not to bend them
frown.gif

*edit* Tried them again...Seriously, these things sound like they need a high-pass filter
frown.gif
. Everything is heavily colored.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #107 of 441
Hello all - going to resurrect this thread once more...

I too have the cracking on the poor quality m50 pads. I swapped a set of Sure SRH440 pads and can say they fit perfectly. What I would like to know is if anybody knows what the differences are between the 440 ear pads and the 840 ear pads. I ask this because the 840 pads are about twice the price. Would there be any reason to get the 840s? All pictures look to be the same stock photo.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #109 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody care to chime in?

You might have more luck asking shure owners :/ BTW do the shure pads change the sound?

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #110 of 441
And I'd like to know if the shure 440 pads are the same size, or are they thicker and of better quality.

May 3, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #111 of 441
Will these get my M50s in the DT 770 ballpark in terms of comfort? Whenever I put on someone's DT 770s I easily forget that I'm wearing headphones. The M50s just seem too heavy for me, or it could be the clamping, and I am not sure if this mod will help.

BTW how much can you bend the headband?

May 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #112 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will these get my M50s in the DT 770 ballpark in terms of comfort? Whenever I put on someone's DT 770s I easily forget that I'm wearing headphones. The M50s just seem too heavy for me, or it could be the clamping, and I am not sure if this mod will help.

BTW how much can you bend the headband?

I really have no issue with the comfort of the M50. (I had a SERIOUS issue with the SRH840 !)

I agree that the DT770 (880, etc.) are unbelievably comfortable and that any HP's that can become that easy to wear would be a real treat!

shane

May 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #113 of 441
Bump this up with new findings.

Agree with all about the DT250 pads bloating the bass, but this can be solved.

RobJRock found out that adding masking tape over the vents under the pads decreases the bass here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470541/very-simple-ath-m50-balance-mod-less-bass-more-mids

The same principle works here. I used micropore instead of masking tape as it lets more sound through so is more fine tunable.

So far I've just tried with both top and bottom vents micropored on each side and it seems pretty close to stock sound (this is with no screen at all in front of the drivers) will experiment further to fine tune later but for now I'm fairly happy.

It's not finished yet but one thing is clear - that it certainly is possible to have velour pads with ATH-M50 and have them sound good. :)

May 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #114 of 441
Hmmm. Well I was having some comfort issues listening without the screens in so cut them out of the old pads and put them back, now the sound is seriously messed up. Mid bass all over the place.

I have a spare set of Sennheiser HD650 foam inserts. Will try those and maybe add more micropore later and report back.

There is bound to be a solution...

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #115 of 441
Just wanted to let people know, I got a pair of DT250 pads (got them for my V6's, but decided to try them on the M50 as well), and they do fit on the M50.

HOWEVER! The comfort is not much improved. I would actually say the clamp is even tighter and more uncomfortable. The M50 pads are very squishy, while the DT250 pads are harder.

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #116 of 441
After seeing this thread some weeks ago, I went and ordered the DT250 pads. But after putting them on, my immediate reaction was what happened to the sound? So I put the pleather ones back on again. I cover each pleather pad with a piece of tissue held in place with a rubber band. Prevents the sweaty ears problem, pretty comfortable, but it looks ridiculous.

But then in a thread about modding Beyer DT880 from open to closed, I read that one of the things to do is to cover the holes on the underside of the ear pads. So I figured this might help the M50 too.

(pic from http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424842/beyerdynamic-dt880-closed-back)

I taped over my DT250 pads with electrical tape, so the underside is now a closer match to the stock M50 pleather, acoustically. I also did the mod that EddieE mentioned, but covered only 4 holes rather than 6. I am quite pleased with the result. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #117 of 441
Yoga flame,
Awesome, I will give that a go. I have to say I am still fighting this fight, it's kind of like one of those puzzles where everytime you change something you have to change something else.

At present I'm messing around with changing the internal dampening! Will post more when I come to a standstill.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #118 of 441
[size=x-small]Well I think that taping of the undersides of the pads thing definitely brings about the biggest improvement when it comes to taming the bass. This is the happiest I've been with these since adding the velour.[/size]

[size=x-small]What I have done to these so far - stock dampening replaced with a stack of cotton wool discs with a felt disc at the bottom; all vents covered in a layer of micropore, centre three of each row covered with masking tape; segment of my girl friend's tights (pantyhose to americans) instead of any foam over the baffle; under side of the velour pads taped over with a single layer of masking tape (will change this for electrical tape when I get some).[/size]

[size=x-small]The bass finally seems to be at an acceptable level to me although I am going to keep trying more things just for peace of mind that I've tried everything I can think of to improve these phones.[/size]

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #119 of 441
Brand new stock M50 pads are squishy, it doesn't take too long for them to compress to being hard and much less comfortable, at which point the lack of breathability and sweaty ears will make you long for velour.

Conversely, the DT250 pads start off a little stiff and then actually soften up a bit after a little use.

Quote:
Just wanted to let people know, I got a pair of DT250 pads (got them for my V6's, but decided to try them on the M50 as well), and they do fit on the M50.

HOWEVER! The comfort is not much improved. I would actually say the clamp is even tighter and more uncomfortable. The M50 pads are very squishy, while the DT250 pads are harder.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #120 of 441
Someone mentioned that the Shure SRH440 earpads fit the M50's perfectly. I already have the velour DT250 pads but now I need another leather/pleather set of pads as the old ones are hard and cracked. How do the SRH440 pleather pads stack up against the M50 pleather pads in terms of texture, feel, durability, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back