Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Mar 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #407 of 441
Being that I'm fickle, I decided that just using the Shure pads made the treble a little too harsh for my liking. I'm not a fan of sibilance and the Shure pads do seem to pump up the treble. I tried doing the pad stacking, with the stock pads and that actually sounds much nicer! 
The comfort is ridiculous now. Treble is less sibilant, still has decent isolation and bass is still there. Can't really tell if the sound stage is that different, but overall, I'm digging this mod. I had trouble getting the Shure pads to stay on, so I ended up stitching them in place. You almost can't tell from the outside that it's not factory!

I think this may be the ticket to "fixing" these 'phones. 

May 22, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #408 of 441
Hey guys,

I own the ATH-M50 with upgraded pads (DT250). Now I have more comfort but my big ears still touch the inside of the pad oval rims and press on the inside cushion and still feel the headphone plastic. I want to ask how the DT250 pads compare to the HM5 pads. Are the HM5 inside wider and deeper? 

Any other suggestions other than the HM5 pads?

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #411 of 441
  Hey guys,

I own the ATH-M50 with upgraded pads (DT250). Now I have more comfort but my big ears still touch the inside of the pad oval rims and press on the inside cushion and still feel the headphone plastic. I want to ask how the DT250 pads compare to the HM5 pads. Are the HM5 inside wider and deeper? 

Any other suggestions other than the HM5 pads?

Anyone???

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #414 of 441
I have the massdrop (sound professionals) velour pads. They are much more comfier than the DT250 pads and the bass is much tighter, without the boomy-ness.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #415 of 441
  looks like the velour pads are on Massdrop for $20...worth it?

Yes I really like these, much more than the pleather HM5 actually.  They aren't any more deep than the stock pads, but they retain a little bit more bass than the HM5 pads, which to me really subdue it.  There velours just take it down a small notch.

Looking forward to trying them on my in-the-mail MSR7's

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #417 of 441
Are the ATH-M40X the same earpads size ? I would like to change my M40X earpads to the Shure 840 or 940 (Velour). I just don't know if they fit properly on the M40X.

I also never wore velour, so I don't know if I would prefer velour over leather. Any recommendations on which one I should get ? The only other good quality headphones I wore for years are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and loved the comfort.

Thanks !

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #418 of 441
  Are the ATH-M40X the same earpads size ? I would like to change my M40X earpads to the Shure 840 or 940 (Velour). I just don't know if they fit properly on the M40X.

I also never wore velour, so I don't know if I would prefer velour over leather. Any recommendations on which one I should get ? The only other good quality headphones I wore for years are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and loved the comfort.

Thanks !

Velour generally will leak a tiny bit more sound, and can alter the sound a little bit, in various velour pads I've used I have specifically noticed a reduction in bass.  The Massdrop velour M50x pads discussed above didn't actually alter the sound much to my ears over stock, and are much softer.  They are also advertised to fit any of the 20x, 30x, 40x, 50x, so I would think anything that fits a 50 would fit a 40 too

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #419 of 441
  Velour generally will leak a tiny bit more sound, and can alter the sound a little bit, in various velour pads I've used I have specifically noticed a reduction in bass.  The Massdrop velour M50x pads discussed above didn't actually alter the sound much to my ears over stock, and are much softer.  They are also advertised to fit any of the 20x, 30x, 40x, 50x, so I would think anything that fits a 50 would fit a 40 too

Thank you. The M40X have a more neutral sound (less bass) than the M50X as far as I know. So reducing the bass might be an OK idea for the M50X because they are more bassy, but in the M40X I wonder what it would sound like.

However, I guess velour is more comfortable than leather, generally speaking ? Anyone tried changing the pads for the M40X around here ? :)

Thanks !

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #420 of 441
Guys,

All said & done about replacing the pads, but can you please tell me about the difference after replacement ?

Any improvement in Soundstage as the velour pads have the depth, speaking of https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ath-m50x-velour-earpads/

Or any another change felt with Velour ones

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back