Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #376 of 441
Just bought a pair of ATH-M50x headphones about a month ago, and I am looking to upgrade the earpads to velvet ones.  At least as of today, Sound Professionals only sells a pair of earpads for $24.98 plus shipping that brings total cost over $30.  Can order for $29.99 incl. shipping via Amazon, but the Aurays are only $19.99 incl. shipping.

Anyone happen to try both and can say if the Aurays are "as good" as the SP - or at have an opinion as to whether the SP ones are worth costing half-again as much as the Auray pads?

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #377 of 441
I would pay $10 more to avoid the hassle of the Auray.  The velour on the Auray is ok, not great and they leak like a sieve.  Without stuffing they rest on the ear a little, same as Momentums, hate that.

SM

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #380 of 441
Ordered a pair of the Sound Professionals velour pads.

Will report my opinion on them when they get here, which probably won't be for a good week or more because of the insane shipping options for Canadians.

10 dollar shipping for uninsured, no tracking. Next option: 31 dollars, and it only gets higher from there.

Don't like the idea of no tracking, but no way I'm paying 31 bucks or more for shipping.

Hoping it doesn't change the sound signature too much, as I'm really enjoying my M50's sound with the pleather, but do they ever get uncomfortable after a few hours...

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #381 of 441
Ordered a pair of the Sound Professionals velour pads.

Will report my opinion on them when they get here, which probably won't be for a good week or more because of the insane shipping options for Canadians.

10 dollar shipping for uninsured, no tracking. Next option: 31 dollars, and it only gets higher from there.

Don't like the idea of no tracking, but no way I'm paying 31 bucks or more for shipping.

Hoping it doesn't change the sound signature too much, as I'm really enjoying my M50's sound with the pleather, but do they ever get uncomfortable after a few hours...

How'd the ear pads turn out?

May 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #382 of 441
I have decided to purchase  a pair of Shure HPAEC840 Replacement Ear Cushions and a pair of Shure HPAEC940 velour earpads.  After a month and half using my M50s, the pads have started to harden.  Also, since I wear glasses, this has started to happen.  See image.  Should I just get the leather ones?

May 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #385 of 441
  I have decided to purchase  a pair of Shure HPAEC840 Replacement Ear Cushions and a pair of Shure HPAEC940 velour earpads.  After a month and half using my M50s, the pads have started to harden.  Also, since I wear glasses, this has started to happen.  See image.  Should I just get the leather ones?

I'd say you should go for velour. I ordered a pair of pads from Sound Professionals and got them today after one week to Finland, not bad at all. M50s are much more comfortable to wear now, and to me they still sound very good. The velour pads help with glasses also, less squeeky noises.

May 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #386 of 441
Registered with this site just to say the Sound Professional velour pads are awesome. :D I've been wearing my M50s for a few hours now with no discomfort whatsoever. Before I would have some pain behind my ear where the pads sat after maybe an hour of use. I've noticed no change in audio signature either, but I'm not an audiophile and don't pick up on very minute changes. VERY happy with the new pads. Honestly these should come with the M50 instead of the stock ones lol.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #388 of 441
Hi all,

I also wanted to give my feedback here about the Soundprofessionals velour pads.

I'm using my ATH-M50 with my Ibasso DX50 and decided to order the pads 2 weeks ago.
I have to say they are reaaaally comfortable and much less sweaty than the stock ones, BUT after using them for more than a week I have to say that I will only use them if I really need to wear them for a long period, since for me they change the sound signature too much.

When I'm at home in a quiet environment the difference is not that noticeable but it's there.
But since I'm mostly using them on the go, the difference is too big for my taste. With the standard ones the bass presentation is really "punchy" and detailed so I really "feel" it inside my head (if that makes sense), also the instrument separation is great.

With the velour pads the bass looses it's impact and is not that detailed anymore,also the feeling of the bass is gone.The instruments as well seem to drown into each other a bit. Since I Rockboxed my dx50 I tried to adapt the sound with EQ but that didn't help much, especially with the bass details.

In total the difference is just too big for me to actually use them on a daily basis.

I assume it's because they are just not sealing of as well as the stock ones and too much sound is leaking in and out.....

So for inside use and veeery long use the velour pads are great! 
If you're listening mostly on the go I would not recommend them.

Cheerz

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #390 of 441
Excellent! What a "why didn't I think of that?" moment! Your post is why I just joined. I really appreciate the idea. I have a set of Blue Mo-Fi coming. Plus my ATH-M50 get too warm and sweaty also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back