VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
May 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #586 of 3,324

One of my Chinese fan, after purchasing the Zen, sold pretty much every iem and earbud he owned, keeping only senn's ie800, but as he is saying , they are merely there to collect dust (most of the time, he uses zen for pop, according to him, ie800 is still a bit better than Zen when listening to Western Classical music)  , he said he will give his ie800 to me if I can make Zen even better so he can just part with the IE800, which for me , honestly speaking is close to impossible ,as iem and earbud are different breed, and IE800, itself, is the current flagship of pretty much every IEMs, but it is fun to always push for more, that ,at least for us, is what hi-fi is all about.

Cheers 

Lee 

p.s. Thanks for your trust, we will try to get them out ASAP(most likely tmr) , I was going to send a demo set along with my electrostatic amp to a friend, but he can wait,.

it is really sold out now, it will be re-stocked next week though

You mentioned IE800 is current flagship of every IEMs, what abvout those JH Audio IEMs? aren't those better than IE800?

they are based on different tech entirely, so you can't really compare the two, but I personally prefer senn's ie800 to pretty much every other IEM that I have heard.

I do love JH's style,  the only armture IEM I kept for myself is his triple Fi 10, which for me is an all time classic, but I am more of a dynamic-driver kind of guy when it comes to earbud/iems.

Cheers 

Lee

May 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #587 of 3,324
  I will not say they are better Amp than E11 E16, but they are surely a much better AMP for Zen. (Weiliang is a close friend of mine, so plz do ask me to say things like if my stuff is better than his, I will only answer you it is better for Zen. lol)

Also when you mention the S4, it will not work with any portable amp, instead what you need a portable dac/amp, in this case e16 is ideal for your cause, we still have one unit of E16 left, if you wanna them~

You can talk to me on Aliexpress, or via PM here .

Cheers 

Lee

Hey Lee

Sorry just saw this post now. Must have missed it earlier, as long as they are better for Zen thats what counts :p

May 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #589 of 3,324
  Surely all you need to amplify a signal is an amplifier that goes loud enough?  How difficult can the Zens be to drive?  I'm sorry but I don't understand why there is so much discussion about which amp is best for the Zen.  

They are pretty difficult to drive. Different amps have different sound characteristics. Some are bright and clear and some are warm and bassy. So for example you would want to pair a bright analytical headphone with a warm amp to get the best sound imo. Its called hardware eqing. 

I have extensively tested the output from my macbook, cell phone, SMSL M2 dac/amp and Fiio e17. It consistently sounded best out of the e17 because it had the most powerful amp of the bunch. An underpowered Zen sounds lifeless and boring. A properly powered one sounds much better with greater dynamic range, fuller sound and better sound stage. The difference between an amped Zen and unamped Zen is very easy to pick up and is not subtle at all.

And so we come to the original point. Its all about hardware synergy and finding the best combo that gives the best and ideal sound :) Its cool to be able to play with different amps to figure out which one works and doesn't work. However if you have an amp that was designed specifically for that one headphone that just makes it easy to get great sound everytime. Hence why people are excited about the Zen specific amp.

I am not kidding when I say that Zen is really top tier and I have heard quite a few expensive iems and have owned a few myself. My top three fav headphone rankings are (in no particular order): 

- Sony XBA Z5
- Zen
- Havi B3 Pro 1

So yeah it really is all that and very deserving of all the accolades. It honestly does a few things better than my Z5 which is crazy when you consider the price difference. The last 10 days I basically only listened to the Zens and Asuras and everything else was gather dust :wink:

FYI A higher impedence headphone should have better sound compared to an identical model with lower impedance but the trade off is that you ned an amp to get the most out of it. Hope that helped a bit :)

May 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #590 of 3,324
So how is the Zen compare to the Dunu DN2000? I know they're different types of earphones, but still that doesnt' matter.  What matter is the sound that comes out of it.  If anyone that has the DN2000 or listened to one before can chime in.

May 19, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #593 of 3,324
  Anyone try hooking up their Zens to speaker taps? If so, how do they sound with proper amplification? 

The Zen has an impedance of about 300 ohms. Generally, speaker taps are designed to drive loud speakers with an impedance of about 8 ohms. With such a large impedance mismatch, I doubt the Zen would sound good....

May 20, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #597 of 3,324
So does anyone know anyone that actually bought the VE Zen from AliExpress and got it shipped to the US? If so, how long did it take? I'm impatently waiting for my Zen to come :frowning2:
Lee told me it should get to me within a week, but I'm just curious if anyone has bought it from AliExpress and exactly how many days did it take for you to receive it? thx.

May 20, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #598 of 3,324
  So does anyone know anyone that actually bought the VE Zen from AliExpress and got it shipped to the US? If so, how long did it take? I'm impatently waiting for my Zen to come :frowning2:
Lee told me it should get to me within a week, but I'm just curious if anyone has bought it from AliExpress and exactly how many days did it take for you to receive it? thx.

ePacket is generally very quick to the US but it's still a toss up. The last thing I bought shipped with ePacket took 7 days. My Zen/Asura took 3 weeks. I think most of the variability comes after it arrives and gets transferred to USPS, where it might get stuck somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back