VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
May 25, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #619 of 3,324
Why is the Monk so cheap? Like $5? really? How can you make a $5 earbuds and still sound good? I don't get it.

I don't either. But I'm not complaining!

May 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #622 of 3,324
I’m on the verge to press the purchase button for the Zen to upgrade a pair of Yuin PK3. I have no complaints about the PK3 which sounds very good to me, but the previous comments and reviews on the Zen seem very promising.

I power the PK3 with a Fiio E17 and plan to do the same with the zen. I should precise these would be used in an open space office (listening to all sorts of music) so I like the ability to still be aware of what’s going on around me. This is why I bought the earbud style PK3 in the first place.

Questions :
- Should I expect a spectacular improvement in terms of sound quality compared to the Yuin ?
- This seems to be the high-end of earbuds for 130$, which is far from the price of standards IEMS which could be up to 10 times this price. Why is that ? Is IEMS SQ that much better ? Any IEMs equivalent to recommend for a similar sound quality ?
- Considering I will still use my E17 (no plan to invest in another DAC/Amp), is it a waste to take the Zen and should I wait for the Asura ?

Thanks !

May 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #624 of 3,324
I have a PK3 and I'd imagine VE ZEN will be a big upgrade (if driven by an amp). 

My main setup is PK1 with Minibox-ES amp and it sounds really good.  But it's outdated and a new player is in the scene.  I'm curious and excited to try the VE ZENs.

Quote:
  I’m on the verge to press the purchase button for the Zen to upgrade a pair of Yuin PK3. I have no complaints about the PK3 which sounds very good to me, but the previous comments and reviews on the Zen seem very promising.

I power the PK3 with a Fiio E17 and plan to do the same with the zen. I should precise these would be used in an open space office (listening to all sorts of music) so I like the ability to still be aware of what’s going on around me. This is why I bought the earbud style PK3 in the first place.

Questions :
- Should I expect a spectacular improvement in terms of sound quality compared to the Yuin ?
- This seems to be the high-end of earbuds for 130$, which is far from the price of standards IEMS which could be up to 10 times this price. Why is that ? Is IEMS SQ that much better ? Any IEMs equivalent to recommend for a similar sound quality ?
- Considering I will still use my E17 (no plan to invest in another DAC/Amp), is it a waste to take the Zen and should I wait for the Asura ?

Thanks !

May 26, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #625 of 3,324

Yes, the Zen is an upgrade from the PK3. I have been through several pairs of PK3 and no longer use them. Expect better and more articulate bass, more clarity and better soundstage for starters. I use an E12 with my Zens and it works nicely. I find the T-Peos Altone 200 to be my closest IEM experience to the Zen, but its hard to really compare. The T-Peos is more analytical I suppose, colder sounding.

A side note, I have found that the beta version of the Asura makes a surprisingly good pairing unamped with the Sansa Clip + (Rockboxed).

May 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #627 of 3,324
I will agree that I enjoyed the Zen and even Asura more than the PK3. I haven't put up my review yet from the tour. But after sending them off I went back to my PK3 and the love just isn't there any more. The Zen really spoiled me. I think that I don't have a choice but to grab a set. The Asura is no slouch either but since it was still beta and currently unavailable I can't say how the release version will be. 

May 26, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #629 of 3,324
  I will agree that I enjoyed the Zen and even Asura more than the PK3. I haven't put up my review yet from the tour. But after sending them off I went back to my PK3 and the love just isn't there any more. The Zen really spoiled me. I think that I don't have a choice but to grab a set. The Asura is no slouch either but since it was still beta and currently unavailable I can't say how the release version will be. 

In that case you should come join the Facebook page! Lots of goodies on there :wink: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52vecn/

May 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #630 of 3,324

Questions :

Thanks !

Zens sounded awesome out of my E17, had to run it on 12 gain tho. Its a great match in my experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back