Vali 2 tube rolling
Nov 30, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,846 of 6,436
Watch B stock, they are usually $100 when you buy directly from Schiit. How many of those amps have you seen the inside of by the way? I own or have owned everything except a Saga and the original Lyr so perhaps I know them a little.
If you want some practice you can start with the Coaster, (Vali Mini), it comes with a schematic so that might help you understand the Vali 2 a bit. I worked with Jason early on with those and found an issue with the bom and schematic but it is fixed now.

I checked b stock, but I will continue to watch it.

I saw inside the original lyr. I also poked around the Yggdrasil.

I build my own tube amps, so I do have experience with circuits and what not. I actually just got a pretty nice scope with a built in distortion analyzer and a signal generator, so I am hoping to be able to show you guys what I am on about. One thing I wish I could get my hands on is a decent tube curve tracer.

I did have a look at the coaster amp. I hope that the vali 2 does not run on low voltage like the coaster amp does. If it does, then it sort of confirms my theory, and then I can speak a bit more liberally. Tubes do not behave well at lower voltages and they really don't perform well when operated close to saturation. There are tubes that perform better than others in this region. And when I say perform I don't mean that one tube will sound better than another. I mean one will barely even work and the other will actually perform well.

I am hoping this isn't the case with the vali 2 and that schiit used a voltage multiplier to boost the power supply voltage to run the tube in a decent region of the curves. If not, then I will see what I can do about making some mods and documenting the process.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #4,847 of 6,436
I checked b stock, but I will continue to watch it.

I saw inside the original lyr. I also poked around the Yggdrasil.

I build my own tube amps, so I do have experience with circuits and what not. I actually just got a pretty nice scope with a built in distortion analyzer and a signal generator, so I am hoping to be able to show you guys what I am on about. One thing I wish I could get my hands on is a decent tube curve tracer.

I did have a look at the coaster amp. I hope that the vali 2 does not run on low voltage like the coaster amp does. If it does, then it sort of confirms my theory, and then I can speak a bit more liberally. Tubes do not behave well at lower voltages and they really don't perform well when operated close to saturation. There are tubes that perform better than others in this region. And when I say perform I don't mean that one tube will sound better than another. I mean one will barely even work and the other will actually perform well.

I am hoping this isn't the case with the vali 2 and that schiit used a voltage multiplier to boost the power supply voltage to run the tube in a decent region of the curves. If not, then I will see what I can do about making some mods and documenting the process.

The Vali mini uses miniature tubes, that much should have been obvious, I own a few curve tracers, various scopes, signal generators and a complete shop. You need not show me what you are about, you have demonstrated it nicely.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #4,848 of 6,436
So I got my JJ 6sn7 I ordered from tubedepot.com today. I mean if Jason Stoddard likes them there must be something there. After a few hours I don't find myself wanting to go to another tube. The top end is crisp, good detail retrieval, mids are well defined and the low end is capable of a good growl. So in all I like it. But what I really wanted to talk about is the free gift tubedepot is giving with orders, mine turned out to be 10 ft. of uninsulated steel bus wire. If I'm not building an amp I can always make some spare paper clips I guess.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,849 of 6,436
So I got my JJ 6sn7 I ordered from tubedepot.com today. I mean if Jason Stoddard likes them there must be something there. After a few hours I don't find myself wanting to go to another tube. The top end is crisp, good detail retrieval, mids are well defined and the low end is capable of a good growl. So in all I like it. But what I really wanted to talk about is the free gift tubedepot is giving with orders, mine turned out to be 10 ft. of uninsulated steel bus wire. If I'm not building an amp I can always make some spare paper clips I guess.

Steel bus wire? For Free?!? I love free stuff, even if I'll never use it. Beats the unneeded and useless junk my wife buys only because it was on sale and she "saved" so much money. :relaxed:

Seriously, good to know on the JJ's. Thanks for the info!

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #4,850 of 6,436

I hope you are talking tinned copper.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #4,851 of 6,436
I hope you are talking tinned copper.

Not that I'm a veterinarian or anything, but steel would be safer for Finnegan to chew on than tin or copper. :grin:

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4,853 of 6,436

Hey, just be happy your free gift wasn't a GE tube

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #4,854 of 6,436
Not that I'm a veterinarian or anything, but steel would be safer for Finnegan to chew on than tin or copper. :grin:
Well tinning is often a solder coating and unless it is ROHS compliant it can contain lead and that is a cumulative poison so you are correct.

Have I not already said you were right about something this year? Are you trying to press your luck?:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #4,855 of 6,436
Well tinning is often a solder coating and unless it is ROHS compliant it can contain lead and that is a cumulative poison so you are correct.

Have I not already said you were right about something this year? Are you trying to press your luck?:ksc75smile:

Well, I was going for 3 times, but I'm running out of year. :laughing:

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4,856 of 6,436
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #4,857 of 6,436
Well, I was going for 3 times, but I'm running out of year. :laughing:
I do not often quote Meatloaf but in your case two out of three ain’t bad.

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,858 of 6,436
bit late to the party but just sort of found out about Schiit as i was looking for a phono stage for the eldest son. anyway i ended up getting the Mani and this Vali 2. i got the Vali 2 due to reading this thread and since i like to tinker it sounded right up my street, not tried the Mani yet but this little Vali 2 is an intresting little gem. its ermm silly cheep and fun. ok its not going to set the audiofool bragerade top list but for the price its incredible. lets put it in perspective. if you Diy'd this amp you would not even cover the board and components let alone the casework. looking at pics on the net of the board i was all set to change the caps to better ones but on closer inspection they are already good quality nichicon througout which is incredible at this price.

TBT i was very very anoyed when i first powred up and connected to my headphones which are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm with T1 2nd gen ear pads, the earpads turn the 880's into something really nice. anyway i turned up the volume and kept turning it up and up and ermm it went no more and i thaught to myself "my computer sound card is louder than this" and thaught seriusly about returning it, well that is untill i remembred it has low and high gain. with the flick of a switch it was ermm much much better.. lol

not got many hours on the Vali 2 but waht i'm hearing i'm liking, i think i have the miniwatt valve, the only thing i can see on the glass is the numbres 32 and a faint sort of philips or GE logo.

ok i'll be giving the Vali 2, to my son along with the Mani and a systemdek iix which i have fully serviced as he wants to get into those strange black discs of which i have a fair old collection, probably not for long though.. lol

why am i writing this in the tube rolling thread i hear you ask.. well after reading a fair old whack of this thread i looks like i can change the valve for a 6SN7 (recomendations welcome) which by all acount totaly wipes the floor with the stock tube for not a lot of £. if i hear what i like after sticking a 6sn7 in i might just buy myself one of these little gems. yes i like what i hear so far with the stock tube even though it as SnT problems and some vocals sound like a squeez box along with one note bass lines.

please excuse my spelling as i'm dyslekit.

BTW on a side note my case has a rebated volume hole which does not let light through.

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #4,859 of 6,436
bit late to the party but just sort of found out about Schiit as i was looking for a phono stage for the eldest son. anyway i ended up getting the Mani and this Vali 2. i got the Vali 2 due to reading this thread and since i like to tinker it sounded right up my street, not tried the Mani yet but this little Vali 2 is an intresting little gem. its ermm silly cheep and fun. ok its not going to set the audiofool bragerade top list but for the price its incredible. lets put it in perspective. if you Diy'd this amp you would not even cover the board and components let alone the casework. looking at pics on the net of the board i was all set to change the caps to better ones but on closer inspection they are already good quality nichicon througout which is incredible at this price.

TBT i was very very anoyed when i first powred up and connected to my headphones which are Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm with T1 2nd gen ear pads, the earpads turn the 880's into something really nice. anyway i turned up the volume and kept turning it up and up and ermm it went no more and i thaught to myself "my computer sound card is louder than this" and thaught seriusly about returning it, well that is untill i remembred it has low and high gain. with the flick of a switch it was ermm much much better.. lol

not got many hours on the Vali 2 but waht i'm hearing i'm liking, i think i have the miniwatt valve, the only thing i can see on the glass is the numbres 32 and a faint sort of philips or GE logo.

ok i'll be giving the Vali 2, to my son along with the Mani and a systemdek iix which i have fully serviced as he wants to get into those strange black discs of which i have a fair old collection, probably not for long though.. lol

why am i writing this in the tube rolling thread i hear you ask.. well after reading a fair old whack of this thread i looks like i can change the valve for a 6SN7 (recomendations welcome) which by all acount totaly wipes the floor with the stock tube for not a lot of £. if i hear what i like after sticking a 6sn7 in i might just buy myself one of these little gems. yes i like what i hear so far with the stock tube even though it as SnT problems and some vocals sound like a squeez box along with one note bass lines.

please excuse my spelling as i'm dyslekit.

BTW on a side note my case has a rebated volume hole which does not let light through.
Yes, the 6sn7 I have found to be the best sounding tube for the Vali 2 as others I think others will agree. As to which type you'll get many different opinions. Personally I can recommend two types. For new production the JJ 6sn7 is a good tube especially for the price. I'm listening to it now. For vintage tubes I like the Tung-Sol 6sn7gt mouse ears. Also not too high in price. Be prepared for a flood of other suggestions. One thing is certain, you will need a 9 Pin Socket Saver and a 6sn7 to 6922 adapter. The hole in the chassis of the Vali is too small to fit the wider 6sn7. These are available from ebay vendors as well as tubedepot.com here in the States.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #4,860 of 6,436
My Vali 2 seems to have died. I had not used for a couple of days, left it in the off setting, but plugged in. Tonight I tried to use it and no power light, no tube glow. I am going to let the power supply unplugged over night and see if that does any good. Fixed, did not realize the wall switch to that outlet was off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back