1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324
326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335
Next

Last
  1. bcowen
    Not to spoil your fun or anything, but the Vali 2 may not be the best match for your 600 ohm Beyers. At that impedance, you're only getting 140 milliwatts of power, and while the DT880's are reasonably sensitive, I wouldn't refer to them as highly sensitive. But if you like the sound you're getting that's really all that matters. Since you're giving the Vali you have to your son (what a Dad!), you might take a look at the Valhalla for yourself. More money, but 2.5x the power into a 600 ohm headphone.

For adapters, if you're in the EU you might want to PM fellow HeadFi'er @Deyan . He does some very nice work and may even cost you less (delivered) than buying from China.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  2. bibbs
    thanks for the replys everyone. there seems to be three popular places here in the uk to get valves, HotRox, Watford and Langrex well thats what i have found no doubt there are a lot more.

is it necessary to have the valve triodes matched? as i seem to think i read that the Vali 2 has auto biasing. it only seems to be Watford that have matching as an option and only on the Tung-sol 6SN7GTB.

i'll give Deyan a PM at some point soon about an adaptor. i'm thinking of taking the case down to the workshop and putting the alloy top in the milling machine to enlarge the hole so the valve dont stick out as much. if push come to shove i could even make up a complete new top.

if the Vali 2 can handle the DT880 600's then it will handle the superlux HD-330 that the son uses. those cans are an absolute audio bargain with the right earpads and a bit of dampening in the cups.

i pretty much gave up on hifi years ago in favour of AV. the system i'm cobbling together for the son is bits i have lying around and if he looks after the systemdek i might even give him the PT-TOO.

3. Keno18
    I have never found matching to be be a problem. I haven't bothered to order a matched 6sn7 yet.

4. bibbs
    just finished reading the whole thread and its been amusing. you peeps are nutz, i like it.

anybody tried the new Brimar factory tubes? i like the idea of buying new and also helping a heritage site.

bcowen likes this.
  5. Ripper2860
    1st of all -- WELCOME!!

2nd of all -- KUDOS on reading this thread in its entirety.

Depending on where you in in the galaxy, you may or may not be able to get them. The "new production" Brimars are not available in the US, as far as I know (or is that Mullard?). Anyhow -- I've not heard anything about them, but if you want new production tubes I suggest JJ Electronic as a few here have had good things to say and they are pretty darn cheap. Doesn't hurt that they are Schiit's new tube of choice in their 6SN7-based amps (replaced new production Tungsol). :wink:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  6. bcowen
    Nope, shipping to the US not currently available...which is of major benefit to my wallet. LOL!

They have US states populated in the drop-down menu for shipping estimates, so it appears they are getting set up for it though.

And welcome to @bibbs !

Ripper2860 likes this.
  7. ScubaMan2017
    Welcome to the thread, eh. While I'm mainly using my Valhalla 2 and (newly purchased) Asgard2-BifrostMB pairing, my mighty Vali 2 is kept close on hand. :ksc75smile:

bcowen likes this.
  8. Shane D
    Wow, you really are a Schiit head. :darthsmile:

Have you ever looked at or considered the Lyr 3? Or, do you feel your needs are all covered and the Lyr 3 would bring nothing new to the party for you?

Curious to hear from the true believers.

Shane D

PS: I LOVE my Loki and really like my Vali 2, so I am also a fan.

bcowen likes this.
  9. KoshNaranek
    New Brimar tubes are relabled New Sensor Corporation tubes. In other words, Electro Harmonix/Tung-Sol

bcowen likes this.
  10. bibbs
    bcowen likes this.
  11. bibbs
    ooohh forgot to say i'm in sunny Scotland. so ordering from Brimar is not a problem.

bcowen and Ripper2860 like this.
  12. Ripper2860
    Yep -- Russian tubes. The cup getter holder is a dead give-away. The only thing these share with NOS Brimar tubes is the name. :frowning2:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    KoshNaranek and bcowen like this.
  13. bcowen
    I used to think Russian tubes were junk until I got a hold of Fotons and Melz. :astonished:

14. bibbs
    just ordered the Brimar 6SN7GT. it cant be that bad compared to the stock one i have which is

[​IMG]

pic stolen from the net but is identical to the one i have.

bcowen likes this.
  15. Ripper2860
    Well, practically anything is better than a Sovtek. :D
    True, but I suspect the new production Brimars are closer to EH than Foton or Melz. :wink:

You're probably right!! :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
First

Back
315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324
326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335
Next

Last