Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #4,696 of 6,436
Don't see many of these around anymore. This is the only tube truly manufactured by GE I've yet heard that actually sounds good. I'd be surprised if it doesn't go for at least $500, and probably more. Somebody in one of the other threads here was talking about tube operating temperatures the other day, and it reminded me of checking these with an IR thermometer (not super accurate, but...) and these things ran close to 450 degrees F in the Cary 211 amps. Toasty...

upload_2019-10-17_20-43-48.png

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #4,697 of 6,436
No mention of the total height. Be happy to measure it and post the info once I get it. I need a fairly low profile myself, due more to felines and the space I'm allotted in the living room for my HP stuff. And it'll get even more restricted when I finish the Schiit rack whose design I blatantly ripped off from @Paladin79 . I *did* thank him though. :slight_smile:
My patent attorney let me down again so I guess you can use the idea but, I did not fill you in on the new and super cool additions I am making to my mini shelves. :ksc75smile:

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #4,698 of 6,436
My patent attorney let me down again so I guess you can use the idea but, I did not fill you in on the new and super cool additions I am making to my mini shelves. :ksc75smile:

Let me guess....sorbothane? :grimacing:

I'm still deliberating on which footers to use: The Huge A$$ ones, the Big A$$ ones, or the Not Quite As Big A$$ ones. Obviously the Huges and Bigs need some cleanin' like I did to the Not Quite As Bigs already. Kind of leaning towards the little ones just for clearance...and to make sure I don't break the shelf the rack sits on (the Huge ones weigh about 6 pounds each). Then I have to figure out which Marigo tuning dots to use...the white or green? The black ones might be too much... LOL!

Feet.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #4,699 of 6,436
No mention of the total height. Be happy to measure it and post the info once I get it. I need a fairly low profile myself, due more to felines and the space I'm allotted in the living room for my HP stuff. And it'll get even more restricted when I finish the Schiit rack whose design I blatantly ripped off from @Paladin79 . I *did* thank him though. :slight_smile:

That'd be great. If I had any clue about what I was doing, I'd try making one myself - that adapter is pretty much identical to the one floating round in my head…

Since that Schiit rack is pretty much open source now, post the design for the rest of us:smile:

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #4,700 of 6,436
I'm still deliberating on which footers to use: The Huge A$$ ones, the Big A$$ ones, or the Not Quite As Big A$$ ones. Obviously the Huges and Bigs need some cleanin' like I did to the Not Quite As Bigs already. Kind of leaning towards the little ones just for clearance...and to make sure I don't break the shelf the rack sits on (the Huge ones weigh about 6 pounds each). Then I have to figure out which Marigo dots to use...the white or green? The black ones might be too much... LOL!

Yeah I would go for the small ones, that way if your wife gets fed up with your headphone listening
while she is trying to talk to you, she will do less damage if she bashes you over the head with one of those. The large one might kill you and the medium size might put out an eye, she may only break your nose with the small one. It could be an improvement, one should always look on the bright side.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #4,701 of 6,436
That'd be great. If I had any clue about what I was doing, I'd try making one myself - that adapter is pretty much identical to the one floating round in my head…

Since that Schiit rack is pretty much open source now, post the design for the rest of us:smile:

Tom already did. Except he didn't get the copper rods Cryo treated, so my rack will easily sound .004% better. Maybe .005%. :smiley: I'll post pics of my copycat when I'm done...maybe this weekend depending on spousal unit demands...

small_rack.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #4,702 of 6,436
Yeah I would go for the small ones, that way if your wife gets fed up with your headphone listening
while she is trying to talk to you, she will do less damage if she bashes you over the head with one of those. The large one might kill you and the medium size might put out an eye, she may only break your nose with the small one. It could be an improvement, one should always look on the bright side.

Good point. Your thoughtfulness is always appreciated. :smile: The medium and small ones have threaded holes, so I can actually tap some threads in the bottom board and screw them in place. Then she'd have to throw the whole rack at me, which would require effort on her part and reduce that risk to near zero. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,703 of 6,436
Tom already did. Except he didn't get the copper rods Cryo treated, so my rack will easily sound .004% better. Maybe .005%. :smiley: I'll post pics of my copycat when I'm done...maybe this weekend depending on spousal unit demands...

[/QUOTE]

That was an early design, my real design will withstand earthquakes and maybe even a cat using it as a springboard.

I did get parts ordered for the cable management system on my larger rack, I am going to build my own shielded AC cords, it might be overkill but all the cables will be pretty close together.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,704 of 6,436
That was an early design, my real design will withstand earthquakes and maybe even a cat using it as a springboard.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, OK, fine, whatever. Mine will clean tube pins, instantly cure interelement leakage and repair shorts, and make GE's sound like true NOS Bad Boys. And that's just on the first shelf -- the second shelf has some quantum stuff going on that I'm not at liberty to disclose details on. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #4,705 of 6,436

Yeah, OK, fine, whatever. Mine will clean tube pins, instantly cure interelement leakage and repair shorts, and make GE's sound like true NOS Bad Boys. And that's just on the first shelf -- the second shelf has some quantum stuff going on that I'm not at liberty to disclose details on. :slight_smile:[/QUOTE

I get what you are saying, the boards will kinda/sorta match and it may not fall over in the first hour of operation. Got it! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #4,707 of 6,436
I get what you are saying, the boards will kinda/sorta match and it may not fall over in the first hour of operation. Got it! :ksc75smile:

Fine. Just rephrase exactly what I said more concisely. I'm OK with that. English has never been my best language, even though it's the only one I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #4,708 of 6,436
Fine. Just rephrase exactly what I said more concisely. I'm OK with that. English has never been my best language, even though it's the only one I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

We should start an "off topic" thread where we can talk about anything. The use of maple wood vs cherry or walnut or all the possible uses of Sorbothane lol. Nothing can be off topic unless it causes the moderators to come in and start deleting comments. Tubes, cable construction, Schiit products ,whatever could be discussed. Maybe there is such a thing but it could be a fun idea. How about the Nothing is off topic Here thread? An all inclusive thread where you can start talking music preferences or a perfect listening room without ever being off topic.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #4,709 of 6,436
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,710 of 6,436
No thanks, I will make one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back