Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 2, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #4,666 of 6,436
ECC40 in action
IMG_20190929_212815.jpg

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,667 of 6,436
That's what I was hoping for.:)

I'm going for it this weekend. Wish me luck. I have beer ready, and have already selected a new laptop to purchase in the event this one experiences a nasty collision with the nearest wall. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,669 of 6,436
Hello. Wow, 312 pages...

I know this somewhat lazy, but are there a couple of tubes that are generally viewed as "can't go wrong"?

I have been thinking about getting a Lyr 3, but I am not sure if I am that into hybrid tube amps. I had a Loxjie P20 and was unimpressed.

I am thinking that a used Vali 2 with the right tube might just let me know if I am a tube guy or not.

In his ad he said "Also, I have a selection of tubes that I can offer for sale as well including: Telefunken, Valvo, Tesla and GE tubes."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4,670 of 6,436
Hello. Wow, 312 pages...

I know this somewhat lazy, but are there a couple of tubes that are generally viewed as "can't go wrong"?

I have been thinking about getting a Lyr 3, but I am not sure if I am that into hybrid tube amps. I had a Loxjie P20 and was unimpressed.

I am thinking that a used Vali 2 with the right tube might just let me know if I am a tube guy or not.

In his ad he said "Also, I have a selection of tubes that I can offer for sale as well including: Telefunken, Valvo, Tesla and GE tubes."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shane D
If your looking into a used Vali, I'd suggest trying to find one that includes a couple of tubes, hopefully the seller will have already done the hard work for you. If extra tubes aren't an option, probably the easiest way to go would be getting a JJ e88cc. It's not going to match a NOS tube for SQ, but it doesn't really do anything wrong to my ears. And from what I've read the JJ are much better than Electro-Harmonix or any of the other new tubes.

Assuming the ad you mention is for the used Vali, I'd consider the Telefunken, but can't comment on the other brands. (BTW, don't mention GE tubes to @bcowen - we worry about his blood pressure)

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #4,671 of 6,436
If your looking into a used Vali, I'd suggest trying to find one that includes a couple of tubes, hopefully the seller will have already done the hard work for you. If extra tubes aren't an option, probably the easiest way to go would be getting a JJ e88cc. It's not going to match a NOS tube for SQ, but it doesn't really do anything wrong to my ears. And from what I've read the JJ are much better than Electro-Harmonix or any of the other new tubes.

Assuming the ad you mention is for the used Vali, I'd consider the Telefunken, but can't comment on the other brands. (BTW, don't mention GE tubes to @bcowen - we worry about his blood pressure)

His ad states that it only comes with the original tube, but other are available as options. I don't want to spend much money above the purchase price because I only see two outcomes:

1) I don't like it/get it and I move on like I did with the Loxjie P20. Don't want to lose too much money when I sell it on.
2) I LOVE it and I immediately want to sell it and buy the Lyr3. Don't want to lose too much money when I sell it on.

The little fella has no chance with me.:laughing:

I was thinking about contacting him and making an offer that includes the amp, one pretty good tube and shipping. But I am SO ignorant about tubes. When he mentions a brand I am sure there are dozens to hundreds within that brand containing lots of good and lots of bad.

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,672 of 6,436
I've never heard of anyone calling a TF tube bad. Sure there are some TFs that are better than others, but as a whole, they are pretty good tubes no matter the type. That would be a safe bet and a truer test of if you might like it, than the stock tube. The new JJ's also seem to be getting good marks from buyers.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #4,673 of 6,436
I've never heard of anyone calling a TF tube bad. Sure there are some TFs that are better than others, but as a whole, they are pretty good tubes no matter the type. That would be a safe bet and a truer test of if you might like it, than the stock tube. The new JJ's also seem to be getting good marks from buyers.

So Telefunken are just a pretty good tube in general? What are JJ's?

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,674 of 6,436

Shane D
I have tried a bunch of different Telefunkens, basically sold them all as they were not really my intended sound sig.
I`ll list the best imo to the least for reference E188CC, E88CC, ECC801s, 6DJ8. Basically you are going to pay more money for better SQ imo. You decide what to buy though in the end. I found all them no warm enough and being too "polite" sounding.

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #4,675 of 6,436
His ad states that it only comes with the original tube, but other are available as options. I don't want to spend much money above the purchase price because I only see two outcomes:

1) I don't like it/get it and I move on like I did with the Loxjie P20. Don't want to lose too much money when I sell it on.
2) I LOVE it and I immediately want to sell it and buy the Lyr3. Don't want to lose too much money when I sell it on.

The little fella has no chance with me.:laughing:

I was thinking about contacting him and making an offer that includes the amp, one pretty good tube and shipping. But I am SO ignorant about tubes. When he mentions a brand I am sure there are dozens to hundreds within that brand containing lots of good and lots of bad.

Shane D

I sold my Vali 2 when I got the Lyr 3....and ended up buying another Vali 2 later on. For the money, just keep it regardless (unless you just hate it, which I think is very low on the risk scale). :relaxed:

It would be hard to get consensus from this group (or any other, really) on a tube or two that are just "right." Right for them in their system with their preferences and their 'cans? Sure. But too many variables at play to crown an uncontested overall prince. I do think, however, we could reach some agreement on which tubes are just wrong: GE (actually made by GE...there are tubes labeled as GE that were made by others on an OEM basis that can be very good). Philips ECG's. Hard to believe possible, but these are even worse than GE's. These are not to be confused with '60's and earlier Philips tubes that were made in Europe -- most of those are very fine tubes. The ECG's are distinctly marked with that suffix after the Philips brand name. Don't even know where they were made...probably in someone's basement, or maybe they're just relabeled Sovteks (see next). Finally, '90's and early '00 Sovteks. Russian. Garbage. Terrible. Just don't. :slight_smile:

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #4,676 of 6,436

Whenever someone types GE anywhere in this forum, I feel it. Kinda like a disturbance in the force or something. Hard to explain and nothing I can do about it anyway, but I know. I just know. :grin:

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,677 of 6,436

Shane D

JJ is another brand. Made in Slovakia, IIRC. Supposedly one of the better "new" tube makers. The possible benefit of going for new tubes is you won't have to worry about test values and such (in theory at least)

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #4,678 of 6,436
Whenever someone types GE anywhere in this forum, I feel it. Kinda like a disturbance in the force or something. Hard to explain and nothing I can do about it anyway, but I know. I just know. :grin:
I heard that some women listen to GE tubes at night, so they can have an excuse like a bad headache so the guy does not get "any". Conspiracy theory here, not related to actual facts.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #4,679 of 6,436
Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Is there any way to test tubes without an emission tester or other type of tube tester? If not, are there any recommendations for a tube tester that would be functional in the $100 range?

I got 4 Fotons off of eBay that I think were dead to begin with, and want to know how to verify before I request a refund.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #4,680 of 6,436
Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Is there any way to test tubes without an emission tester or other type of tube tester? If not, are there any recommendations for a tube tester that would be functional in the $100 range?

I got 4 Fotons off of eBay that I think were dead to begin with, and want to know how to verify before I request a refund.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITAL-TUBE-TESTER-LAMPEMETRE-AUTONOME-ULTRA-COMPACT/263946261441

or, if you are happy with testing older tube types,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-11-Superior-Tube-Tester/223696507105 - I use TV=12 from Superiorhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-11-Superior-Tube-Tester/223696507105

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back