V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #526 of 1,343
Thanks for the info. It took about 7.5 hours here to become green. It is a bit long I think but the battery was completely empty when I took it from the box.

Anyhow, Running AIFF files through it sounds really good with my Sennheiser Momentum.
Charging was off a 1amp USB or 2amp USB??

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #527 of 1,343
Compare to godap-x at 47 ohms , VERZA's 10 ohms output impedance is much lower, implies it is more stable to various headphones.  However, lowest impedance is not equal to best sound, it's all about matching,............ for VERZA as our goal is a Universal amplifier, we try to find out the best balance.
do you work for verza or venturecraft?

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #529 of 1,343
Quote:
Quote:
7 posts in a row....there is a multi-quote feature you know? :wink:

A 10-ohm output impedance is still quite high for a portable headphone amplifier.

sorry!  don't know about this feature :)  , just think it is easier to read.

Compare to godap-x at 47 ohms , VERZA's 10 ohms output impedance is much lower, implies it is more stable to various headphones.  However, lowest impedance is not equal to best sound, it's all about matching, for VERZA as our goal is a Universal amplifier, we try to find out the best balance.

This article in 2011 is about output impedance, the conclusion is "recommend to find an amp with a relatively low output impedance".

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2011/11/14/output-impedance-show-and-tell?page=0,0

In 2013, same author recommends VERZA!

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/04/04/review-v-moda-vamp-verza

That's true. That's not necessarily true.

From the first article:
Quote:
However, given the sometimes wide variance in listeners’ preferences in headphone response, I can’t say whether you’ll like the sound of a high-impedance or low-impedance amplifier better. All I can say is that you’ll get more consistent results with a headphone amp that has low output impedance.

From the second article, the reviewer indicates nothing about the output impedance of the VERZA, so you can't make a correlation between the two.

Tyll of Innerfidelity wrote an article-ish about the output impedance of amps:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance
Quote:
Having a very low output impedance for driving a reactive load and shorting CEMF from the load has the effect of the amp exerting tighter control of the load regardless of the loads reactance.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #530 of 1,343
Quote:
That's true. That's not necessarily true.

From the first article:
From the second article, the reviewer indicates nothing about the output impedance of the VERZA, so you can't make a correlation between the two.

Tyll of Innerfidelity wrote an article-ish about the output impedance of amps:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance

We are using M-100 and M-80 as one of the references headphones as v-moda is a headphone company :)

So very first priority is, Verza must sound good with M-100 and M-80.  And  ...

Verza must sound as neutral as possible and can drive most of the headphones that HiFiers are using.  Senn Shure AKG all on our list...

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #531 of 1,343
Quote:

We are using M-100 and M-80 as one of the references headphones as v-moda is a headphone company :)

So very first priority is, Verza must sound good with M-100 and M-80.  And  ...

Verza must sound as neutral as possible and can drive most of the headphones that HiFiers are using.  Senn Shure AKG all on our list...

Ooh quick simple question V-Moda representative please.

So ...If Vmoda Vamp is Venturecraft Go-Dap-  re-imagined/repackaged....
and
Vmoda Verza is Venturecraft Go-DapX - re-imagined/repackaged...

Can you tell me please..
Vmoda headphones are   ???????   re-imagined/repackaged?

*Then I/We can safely match my/our gear together.

Thanks 
Kind regards.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #532 of 1,343
Quote:
Ooh quick simple question V-Moda representative please.

So ...If Vmoda Vamp is Venturecraft Go-Dap-  re-imagined/repackaged....
and
Vmoda Verza is Venturecraft Go-DapX - re-imagined/repackaged...

Can you tell me please..
Vmoda headphones are   ???????   re-imagined/repackaged?

*Then I/We can safely match my/our gear together.

Thanks 
Kind regards.

???????? maybe stands for "Val's ideal way of music reproduction in his mind, maybe a pair of megabuck loudspeakers" re-imagined / repacked into the form factor of "M" series headphones

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #533 of 1,343
Are you actually speaking for V-moda in an official capacity? Usually company reps tend to identify themselves a little more formally and/or ask a board moderator for the industry insider tag. What do you do at V-moda btw? Just curious...

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #534 of 1,343
Quote:
Charging was off a 1amp USB or 2amp USB??

I was first charging with a powered USB hub (don't have any specs for it) and then somewhere along the way I switched to the iPhone charger (1amp) from the wall.

The sound quality and the look of the DAC/Amp is good, however, I would have seen it in an aluminum cover to make it lighter, or some sort of recycle metal to at least to make you feel better carry the heavy thing in your pocket!

One other thing is really bothering me is the marketing slogan of the V-MODA "[size=14pt]World's First Universal Docking Headphone Amplifier/Digital-to-Analog Converter/Battery Pack[/size]". Being just a modified version of Go-DAP X what the **** is then World's First then????

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #535 of 1,343
Quote:
I was first charging with a powered USB hub (don't have any specs for it) and then somewhere along the way I switched to the iPhone charger (1amp) from the wall.

The sound quality and the look of the DAC/Amp is good, however, I would have seen it in an aluminum cover to make it lighter, or some sort of recycle metal to at least to make you feel better carry the heavy thing in your pocket!

One other thing is really bothering me is the marketing slogan of the V-MODA "[size=14pt]World's First Universal Docking Headphone Amplifier/Digital-to-Analog Converter/Battery Pack[/size]". Being just a modified version of Go-DAP X what the **** is then World's First then????

The Go-DAP X doesn't work for Android.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #536 of 1,343
Not quite on the same path as the most recent posts, but still: any reports of interference when rubberbanded (or Metallo'd) to a device? I'm an Android guy and love some of the DAC/amp combos I have, but they all pick up interference from the phone (to greater or lesser degrees) when the phone is not in airplane mode. Any feedback thus far? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #537 of 1,343
Quote:
Not quite on the same path as the most recent posts, but still: any reports of interference when rubberbanded (or Metallo'd) to a device? I'm an Android guy and love some of the DAC/amp combos I have, but they all pick up interference from the phone (to greater or lesser degrees) when the phone is not in airplane mode. Any feedback thus far? 

None that I have noticed during my testing.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #538 of 1,343
Quote:
The Go-DAP X doesn't work for Android.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. Go-DAP X does...with Samsung Galaxy S3, it's pretty much just a straight microUSB/microUSB cable. With other Android 4.1+ phones, an OTG cable may be required. This aspect of compatibility, the Verza and the X should be the same.

Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2085#post_9336520

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #539 of 1,343
Quote:

This was my biggest complaint with the Vamp at lower volumes.  I have not heard even the slightest bit of interference with the Verza though.  Very happy with it.  

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #540 of 1,343
Quote:

This was my biggest complaint with the Vamp at lower volumes.  I have not heard even the slightest bit of interference with the Verza though.  Very happy with it.  

In all fairness to any portable amp/DAC you will get interference unless you have airplane mode enabled. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back