V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #556 of 1,343
A1: 7-8 hours on first charge so it will take a while.
A2: charge plus amp will drain the power much quicker, so I just op for iAMP mode instead.
A3: yeah I think it's the battery too.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #557 of 1,343
Quote:
A1: 7-8 hours on first charge so it will take a while.
A2: charge plus amp will drain the power much quicker, so I just op for iAMP mode instead.
A3: yeah I think it's the battery too.

Quote:
A couple of other questions I have:

How long does it take to fully charge the Verza battery?  The card says the single LED will turn green when it's fully charged, and after about 3 hours I haven't seen that happen yet.

When the iPhone is attached to the amp, and it is set to the Charge+Vamp mode, does the amp battery drain quicker and keep the iPhone fully charged?  Is it better to run it in just the Vamp Only mode, for longer amp battery life?  Or is the amp battery large enough that it won't matter?

I'm still wondering why I was getting almost no sound in the Vamp Only mode before, and perfect sound with the Charge+Vamp setting.  Hopefully it was due to the low amp battery, but why would the toggle switch setting make a difference if the battery was low?  

Has anyone else noticed this?

Regular charging is at least 5 hours.  Since Verza is easy to charge independently from the Iphone, I personally use Verza only for maximum battery unless I am in the rare situation with >20% Iphone battery.  I am not having an issue with no sound in the Verza-only mode, so you try again with a full charge or contact V-Moda.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #558 of 1,343
Can you post a closer pic of the power button opening? Curious if they made a change yet. I have small fingers and was not able to press it with the face of my finger. I had to angle my finger so the very tip of my nail pressed it. Is it the same for you?

[quote name=Also, the headphone jack on the phone is completely accessible with the Metallo case on.  (See the first photo below.)  No problem if you have to switch jacks from amp to phone with the case on.

Other things I noticed right away that have not been mentioned here yet:

(1)  The VentureCraft cable works fine, but the lightning connector doesn't click firmly into place with the Metallo case on the phone.  The connection works, but I can see where it might not stay seated correctly if the rig is in your pocket, etc.  To correct this, I used the 2nd rubber boot included in the package; I cut about 1/16th inch off of it and used a heat gun to shrink wrap it around the lightning connector.  There is a tiny bit of white visible when I plug it in, but it seats perfectly now.  If I really wanted to, I could buy more shrink wrap tubing and try doing that again until I get one that is the perfect length, with no white showing.  

(2)  When I first unpacked the amp, the battery charge level LEDs were both lit, indicating a full charge; however, it drained and stopped working after only a few minutes of use, and then the lights did not go on.  I'm charging it fully now.  

(3)  I also noticed that when the 2nd toggle switch (the one that toggles between iSync, Charge+Vamp and Vamp Only) was in the Vamp Only position, I was hearing music very faintly, even at full volume.  When in the Charge+Vamp mode, everything was fine--I was getting all the volume I wanted with my M-100s at 10-11 o'clock and low gain.  I wonder if the Vamp Only mode wasn't working because of the battery being low; the iPhone's battery was fully charged. I'll check this out again later when the Vamp Verza is charged up.

(4)  There is a clear protector included with the Metallo case, but it's for the BACK of the phone, not the screen.  It protects the back of the phone when sliding it onto the Versa dock; it has a cutout for the camera.

(5)  As for the sound, I've only had a few minutes of listening so far, but it's definitely an improvement over the M-100s alone with the iPhone.  The already great bass is less boomy, deeper when needed, and has a nice solid impact when the recording calls for it.  The mids are a bit more forward, and the treble has some sparkle without being overly harsh or bright.  From just a couple of brief tracks, I like it a lot so far.

(6)  Last, for now anyway, the build quality, especially the fit and finish of the amp and the case are absolutely top notch.  My headphones, amp and case are all black, and the whole rig looks very classy.  I'll be looking for some kind of pouch or small case, possibly with a belt clip, to hold everything when I'm listening while walking outdoors, etc.  It's a little big for a pants pocket.

[/quote]

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #559 of 1,343
Hi Val

Im interested in this product with my iPhone 5 for travel. My question is I use the FLAC player app on my iPhone exclusively and no iTunes/mp3s (me thinks iTunes is the devil's work). I understand I dont get 24/192 with this app but will it work with the VAMP VERZA.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #560 of 1,343
Quote:
Hi Val

Im interested in this product with my iPhone 5 for travel. My question is I use the FLAC player app on my iPhone exclusively and no iTunes/mp3s (me thinks iTunes is the devil's work). I understand I dont get 24/192 with this app but will it work with the VAMP VERZA.

Thanks

Should be, folks here have been using 3rd party apps with the VERZA with no problems reported.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #561 of 1,343
Quote:
Had a weird Versa lockup today that I thought I'd post about. I allowed the verza to charge my 160 classic (fat) which completely exhausted it. Charged it back up and it wouldn't connect to any iOS device I own. Every time I turned it on, I got 2 quick flashes of the second switch and then nothing. No charging, playback, etc. I turned it off for a while and then back on to no avail. Also tried turning it off and on while holding down down each of the buttons to,see if I could find some secret reset sequence.

Checked the cable which was fine. Got kinda worried that I may have to send it back to Vmoda. Unlike the vamp, I couldn't see an way to "reset" it.

I decided to connect it to my PC to see what would happen. Drivers installed and all was well (also started charging). Once I reconnected it to my classic and flipped the switch back to iOS instead of USB, it reconnected with the classic and all was well.

So, I'm not really sure what happened, but going to USB and then back again got it. It brings up a question though- Val, is there a reset on the verza just in case we need it?

Quote:
I experienced the same thing with the double flash. It died on me while listening to music so I thought it was the battery.  After charging it a bit it still would just do the double flash.  I kept turning it on and off for a bit and it eventually came back on.

Quote:
Me three. 
 iPhone 5, Vamp Verza  w/ the Metallo case. I had things running smoothly until I switched out a Jabra short (usb-->micro usb with the apple lightning tip) cable with a VentureCraft cable (same config). Diffeernce between cables? Color .. Jabra is grey, VentureCrafts black. The VampV was turned off prior to the cable shift and when the VampV was turned on, two led flashes and nothing ... (I now know to be looking for the red glow in the VampV's head phone jack). After trying every combination you all have mentioned, I separated  the phone and VampV and let  charge over night. No confidence in understanding why, when I reconnected the phone and cable, turned on the VampV, all systems were go. It has locked up like this one time since. This time turning the VampV off, putting switches into usb-dac & vamp positions, turning the VampV on, then putting the first switch to iAMP resuscitated VampV (red glow in the headphone jack-n-all).

I'd be curious if there were more experiences like this. I reported the lock up to V-Moda (do they DO Customer Service or WHAT???) and was sent a replacement (I hadn't stumbled onto the charging thing and got the VampV working after the replacement was sent). Now I have this replacement Vamp Verza and I'm interested to see if it locks up. I think it reasonable that I would run the new VV for a day or two before sending back. I'm not overly concerned, mainly because of Val and his team, but it would be nice to have some certainty about the lock up phenomenon. 

Quote:
I had one minor glitch last week where I couldn't get Verza to connect and the red light kept blinking, but it resolved after swiching back and forth a few times.  Other than that, no technical issues.

I also experienced this lock-up.  I just got the Verza today, and had it working briefly right out of the box, but the battery died.  About an hour ago, I finally got the green light, so I hooked everything up to do some listening, and couldn't get any sound.  Like those quoted above, just a couple of red flashes from the 2nd toggle switch.  I tried unplugging everything, powering off/on, restarting the iPhone, switching the USB/Lightning cable (with the iPhone stock long white one), and for awhile nothing worked, no matter what position the switches were in.  After unplugging everything, and shutting it all off for a few minutes, I tried again, and now it's fine.  

Earlier I mentioned getting almost no sound (very faint at full volume) when in the Vamp Only mode; I was only getting proper sound using the Charge+Vamp mode.  That problem is solved, and everything is now working correctly.

It sounds great, but I'm a little concerned about the lock-up, especially since at least 3 other owners have experienced it.  

Listening to some vintage Dire Straits now; gorgeous sound.  Hope everything continues to work . . .

One final comment--on the QuigCard (which is very helpful, by the way) it says "View manual for full details and compatibility."  Where is this manual?  Nothing but the card was included with the amp, and I couldn't find any downloadable manual on the V-Moda site.  Is there a more complete manual than just the card?

EDIT:  I'll post a closeup pic of the power button access on the iPhone/Metallo case tomorrow when I'm back in my shop with my camera, etc.  I guess I am using the tip of my finger, but it's not a problem at all.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #562 of 1,343
It works perfectly. I am listening to that exact set up right now.

Hi Val

Thanks

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #563 of 1,343
I finally received my Metallo case. I had been using the iPod Classic but now I've started using the iPhone 5 connected with the Venture Craft cable, The Metallo is very nice, fit is great.

Regarding the "Sleep/Power" button, yes it is pretty recessed, but I don't have too much trouble manuevering my fat finger hit it when I need to. It is pretty protected, which I actually like. Yes, you need to use the tip of your finger or the nail, you can't just put the flat of the finger over it and have it hit the button.

As long as I am in the posting mode I figure I'll go ahead and drop a few thoughts on the Verza in general...
So far I am very pleased with the Verza. I love the functionality, and from that stand point it beats out my previous travel rig, the Solo and ALO MKII. I love the ability to throw a charge on an iDevice, and having a simpe chargging solution for the Verza itself makes things easy.

As for the part that really counts to me, the sound, I'm still evaluating. I've been happily living with the Verza for several weeks now. I commute with it daily, so I get about two hours per day of listening to it. I can't say that I'm heariing the same thing that some of the other folks have reported. Specificially I don't find the mids to be emphasized, or forward at all, I do find the a slight bump in the bass and in the highs, a slight V or U shaped emphasis. On certain tracks this can leave the mids a bit recessed. I have listened almost exlusively with custome IEM's (UE-11) which I am very familiar with. I have had no use for the bass boost, it's just too much for my taste. Detail retrieval, plankton presentati, and imaging are average.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #564 of 1,343
I agree that the bass boost (especially with M-100s) is not needed, and for headphone listening, the 3D is useless also.  Either or both might be useful for different applications.

I'm currently looking for some kind of case with a belt loop or clip that would house this rig.  The dimensions I've come up with (which include the attached VentureCraft cable) are roughly 6 1/4" long, 2 3/4" wide, and 1 1/4" thick.  I've checked out some digital camera cases, but haven't found anything that's long and narrow enough; most are made to house something less rectangular.  

If anyone's found anything close, I'd appreciate the info.

Some recordings where I'm noticing the improved, slightly more forward mids:  Mary Black, Mark Knopfler, and some older Rush albums.  Very enjoyable.  A bit U-shaped, yes, but never harsh.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #565 of 1,343
Quote:
I agree that the bass boost (especially with M-100s) is not needed, and for headphone listening, the 3D is useless also.  Either or both might be useful for different applications.

I'm currently looking for some kind of case with a belt loop or clip that would house this rig.  The dimensions I've come up with (which include the attached VentureCraft cable) are roughly 6 1/4" long, 2 3/4" wide, and 1 1/4" thick.  I've checked out some digital camera cases, but haven't found anything that's long and narrow enough; most are made to house something less rectangular.  

If anyone's found anything close, I'd appreciate the info.

Some recordings where I'm noticing the improved, slightly more forward mids:  Mary Black, Mark Knopfler, and some older Rush albums.  Very enjoyable.  A bit U-shaped, yes, but never harsh.

I have been trying to find a belt case for either the VAMP or VERZA since launch with no luck, and I really hope that V-MODA will consider to make one...

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #566 of 1,343
Here are a few new photos, showing the slightly recessed sleep/wake button on the iPhone 5 with the Metallo case in place.  Also, a couple of closeups of the other end of the phone, showing the cutouts for the headphone jack, lightning connector, and speaker grills.

As far as re-shrinking the VentureCraft cable so it will fit securely into the phones lightning jack without showing any white:  I purchased some 1/2" (not 3/8" as I earlier thought) shrink wrap tubing at the local hardware store ($2.79 US for enough to experiment with--three 4-inch sections), and, after a few tries, it seems like a 13/16" piece will work perfectly.  You'll want to put it over the lightning connector end of the cable, right down to the elbow.  Use a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it--use low heat.  It'll take a few extra seconds, but you don't want to risk overheating the lightning connector and melting the plastic.

You should end up with about 1/32" of an inch of exposed white, which will not be visible when the cable is inserted into the phone.  Probably a bit silly to go to such trouble, but the amp/phone combination looks really good, so why not?

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #567 of 1,343
Well, I don't have to decide between using Vamp or Verza with my Iphone 4, at least not until I hear back from V-Moda........the volume knob on my Vamp broke off!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 6-star service on this one.  Fortunately, Verza has a superior design with a much more recessed volume control and also sounds better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back