V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #316 of 1,343
Quote:
You want at least 320 kps. Record a track and you should hear why.

Off topic: I normally use 320 VBR, but will fix rate be better or it isn't really necessary?

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #317 of 1,343
The slide mount of the Metallo cases to the Versa is great. It's clever and looks very slick and clean. However, I come from a Ham Radio background and I wouldn't want to degrade my phone's reception by placing a metallic or alluminum shroud around the unit. Is there any plans for developing a slide mountable case for our phones that's not made of metal or alluminum?

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #319 of 1,343
Quote:
The difference between VBR and CBR at 320 are very thin. You won't be able to notice it, if you didn't try really hard to catch it.

Thanks, that's all I need to know.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #320 of 1,343
Quote:
I have had the VERZA since MONDAY. It has very little effect with my SAMSUNG GALAXY 3. The phone must have a good DAC. The VERZA did improve my laptop sound. I can't use bass boost with usb. To be honest my music is mostly mp3's at 128 kbs. Maybe I need some lossy music to bring out the verza

None of your high end gear will perform near its potential with anything less than 256K and IMO can't even be properly evaluated based on 128kbs files, especially amps where the differences are more subtle than headphones.  I don't think you need to go lossless as it isn't always practical for portability due to volume size.  However, there is a huge audible difference between 128 and 256+ that will make all your gear sound better.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #321 of 1,343
Had the VERSA for a few days now.  Couple observations...maybe someone can offer some guiadance:

1) I'm a happy camper with the VERSA & my Ipod Classic w/ mostly SE535 & PX100. (even made my ancient HD580 sound good on high gain)
2) I'm not a basshead, but like having the bass boost so I don't have to crank-up the volume too much (my ears are hurting since I've been playing so much w/ the VERSA).....for me, bass boost might not be needed with the PX100
3) I don't see a way to play the VERSA while plugged into a wall or cigarette lighter.  I know its meant to be portable, but would be fun to use while charging.  Maybe I just don't see the right set-up.
4) I got my Note2 to play with the VERSA, but it was not a pure line-out connection.  The volume buttons on the Note2 change the overall sound thru the VERSA unlike the Ipod which is a line-level source feed.  Is there some special config I missed?  Just did a plug & play per the toggle switches.

waiting on to check out the cases for the classic & the note 2

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #322 of 1,343
Had the VERSA for a few days now.  Couple observations...maybe someone can offer some guiadance:

1) I'm a happy camper with the VERSA & my Ipod Classic w/ mostly SE535 & PX100. (even made my ancient HD580 sound good on high gain)
2) I'm not a basshead, but like having the bass boost so I don't have to crank-up the volume too much (my ears are hurting since I've been playing so much w/ the VERSA).....for me, bass boost might not be needed with the PX100
3) I don't see a way to play the VERSA while plugged into a wall or cigarette lighter.  I know its meant to be portable, but would be fun to use while charging.  Maybe I just don't see the right set-up.
4) I got my Note2 to play with the VERSA, but it was not a pure line-out connection.  The volume buttons on the Note2 change the overall sound thru the VERSA unlike the Ipod which is a line-level source feed.  Is there some special config I missed?  Just did a plug & play per the toggle switches.

waiting on to check out the cases for the classic & the note 2

#3 that's how the VAmp & Verza operates. Charging & using are mutually exclusive operations
4# same with Galaxy S3. Recommendation is to max the volume on the Samsung device & control the volume on the Versa instead.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #323 of 1,343
As an aside, I love seeing people make their first posts on this... It seems that V-Moda's focus on sound that is both fashionable and fun may draw in some new victims members for the Head-Fi community!! 

atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #324 of 1,343
Quote:
I have had the VERZA since MONDAY. It has very little effect with my SAMSUNG GALAXY 3. The phone must have a good DAC. The VERZA did improve my laptop sound. I can't use bass boost with usb. To be honest my music is mostly mp3's at 128 kbs. Maybe I need some lossy music to bring out the verza

Wow, this was the first time I read something like this on Head-Fi!
My friend owns a GS3 and although I've only tried it a few times I can say it actually has a decent DAC (sounds similar to the one on the S1, which IMO is way better than the GS2's), but the amp is pathetic, just as low-powered as the S2's. 

On a side note, I'm still mesmerized by the design of the VERZA. I was thinking about getting a FiiO portable amp/DAC so I'm eager to see comparisons between them; I don't think the VERZA will ever sound 6 times better than the FiiO amps, but for the built quality, the design, and all those features I might think about getting one. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #327 of 1,343
Quote:
Thanks for the answer,
in fact I own both M-80 and M-100. At first M-100 listen, I was instantly positively shocked by the bass quality and quantity but didn't like the evident midrange recession and the harshness of the low treble. I decided to give them some time and I used them for 3 months then switched back to M-80. I listen primarly to modern rock / alternative and some pop, Muse, Radiohead,... As of today I think M-80 do everything better apart from subbass. In comparison mids on the M-80 are very detailed and airy, M-100 mid bass is very recessed while the mid to high transition is quite fatiguing. Also the highs on M-80 are quite natural even if recessed. On M-100 low treble are boosted while the highest octave is more recessed than M-80, making them sounding unnatural and fatiguing to my ears. I asked you about verza and M-100 to see if verza addresses the shortcomings of M-100 from my point of view (I don't pretend to be an audiophile but a casual listener who likes good sound).

To each his ears. I have noticed that the M-100 is a little more sensitive to its source than the M-80 is. I usually listen using my cMoy for both headphones whether it's through my phone or laptop and I notice that the M-100's sound changes more drastically between devices. On my Galaxy Note, which has a Yamaha DAC, the M-100 sounds thin, has less bass and is overall kind of lifeless. Through my Infuse 4G, which has a Wolfson DAC, the sound is more robust and engaging throughout the spectrum while soundstage and spatial position of instruments, which sound flat on the Galaxy Note, take on a more three-dimensional effect. On the other hand, the M-80 sounds virtually the same through both devices except for a tiny bass boost through the Infuse 4G that is easily compensated for on the Note by increasing the volume a notch. If there any sonic differences between my sources they aren't picked up by the M-80.

May I ask you what kind of source and file types you're using?

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #329 of 1,343
I have been listening to Verza for about 5 hours now, A/Bing with Vamp, M-100 and Ultrasone Signature DJ.  I am holding Verza in my hand listening to every genre and just being amazed.  I am also confused by something that is actually a plus for Verza and wondering if anyone can answer what may or may not be a techinical question:

Vamp is 150mw/channel.  For higher volume listening, I have Vamp at 90% of top volume.  With lower level recordings, like old CD transfers, I can listen at full volume.  With Verza, I was concerned I would have the same issue.  Happily, this is not the case.  The highest volume on Verza I can listen to comfortably is about 60%, yet output to my Iphone is only 130mw/channel.  I have both set on high gain.  Why would Verza drive the same headphones to much higher volume than Vamp when they have comparable power?

If I never purchased Vamp and paid full price for Verza with no upgrade, I would be highly satisfied with my purchase.  There are other products that offer elements of what Verza does, but nothing that does everything Verza does.  I am also loving the bass boost on Verza and do feel the overall SQ is even better than Vamp which is excellent.  I believe this may relate to Verza being voiced with the M-100 and Verza compensating somewhat for the laid back mids of the M-100 as vocals present slightly more forward.  I also want everyone to be aware Verza has PLENTY of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back