V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #346 of 1,343
Off to test the VERZA with my M-100 and V-80. Be back with impressions later.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #347 of 1,343
Quote:
Conversely one of The Amazon reviews on VAMP said he sent it back to Amazon because he couldn't get the volume to go low enough to not hurt his ears.

If a reviewer said they that, their credibility is lost with me.  There is no such thing as an amp that can't be turned low enough.  However, this being Head-fi,  I am bracing myself for a post from someone contradicting that statement.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #348 of 1,343
Quote:
I think the two AMP differently but definitely not a 30% difference, and mine has some hissing issue plus in need of the firmware update.  I will test it again once my VAMP is back from RMA (again).  I do suggest to have your VAMP RMA back to V-MODA for a check up.

Agreed.  Already emailed V-Moda, but don't expect to hear back until after the weekend.  Something just isn't right, but I am in bliss with Verza, so no urgency.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #350 of 1,343
Conversely one of The Amazon reviews on VAMP said he sent it back to Amazon because he couldn't get the volume to go low enough to not hurt his ears.

If a reviewer said they that, their credibility is lost with me.  There is no such thing as an amp that can't be turned low enough.  However, this being Head-fi,  I am bracing myself for a post from someone contradicting that statement.

That certainly can happen. FiiO LOD automatically makes the iDevice pump out maximum volume. If an external amp has a gain more then 2.5 (from my experience) that might be too loud for the end user if they are using sensitive headphones/earphones. It's even worse if the potentiometer has a channel imbalance at low volume levels because then you need to turn up the volume to get past that point (cough O2 with 1.0x gain). Even with the C5's 2.3x gain at the lowest volume level through the iPhone and L3 LOD, the M-100's are pretty loud for me while listening in a quiet environment.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #352 of 1,343
Quote:
Does anyone with a verza have an ipad mini? I've been considering one but saw a few threads on the headphone out being kind of weak.

I don't have one but I don't see why it will not work when the VERZA works just fine with the iPod Touch 5th Gen.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #353 of 1,343
So I brought out my V-80 to have a play date with the VERZA and upon my initial listen I thought that the VERZA added too much power to it. So much, in fact, that the sound actually suffered. Upon further listening, however, I think it was my source file that was the culprit and not the VERZA's effect on the V-80. After a good 30 minutes of listening and A-B testing I feel that VERZA drives the V-80 quite hard adding a nice dose of sub bass(I mean good, thick low-end) and makes the mids even more pronounced. It gave the music an energy that, while powerful and full of slam, sounded closer to what the M-100 sounds like when paired with VERZA as opposed to the stock V-80 sound. To fans of the V-80 sound signature, this may be detrimental.

However, towards the end of my session I had trouble discerning the differences between VERZA and no VERZA with BOTH the M-100 AND V-80 and I think it may be due to listening fatigue, so take all I have said with giant blocks of salt licks. i actually don't trust anything I just wrote. 
size]

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #355 of 1,343
Quote:

I don't believe so.  Remember the iPhone 5 has the HP port on the bottom.  TBH though, I have not seen a picture of the bottom of the iPhone 5 Metallo case.  Given that the GS3 case has an opening for the HP port though, you can safely assume that the same exists for iPhone 5.

Look at this pic - it is clearly covered.  

Edit- actually the right end looks rounded.  Maybe its the pic because the port seems like its farther to the edge when its naked.
metallo_iphone5_silver_square_wbg_web__52181.1363840924.1280.1280.jpg

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #356 of 1,343
Quote:
Anyone else bothered the hoops you have to jump through to get the bass boost activated?  I wish they switched that with the 3d button.  I would probably never use that one anyways.

Yes, as it is the same method for the VAMP and VERZA.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #357 of 1,343
Quote:
Anyone else bothered the hoops you have to jump through to get the bass boost activated?  I wish they switched that with the 3d button.  I would probably never use that one anyways.

Yes, not sure of the reasoning behind this.  If this process was needed, I would have preferred to jump through hoops for the 3D button since I will likely never use it and have the convenient one-touch for the bass boost.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #360 of 1,343
Quote:
For anyone who has a smartphone or player that doesn't anticipate a matching Metallo, I am using 3M duo-stick strips with my Iphone 4 and Verza.  It hold securely and is removable.

Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back