V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,186 of 1,343
So I got a Verza the other day and went to use it today for the first time. I've had the thing plugged in damn near all day and it still says it's charging. The little red/orange light on the side is lit up as if it's charging but it never goes green.

Any ideas? Followed the instructions in the user manual and nothing.

Maybe you're already doing this, but I had problems charging because of this:  

Make sure that the iAmp / USB-DAC toggle switch is in the DOWN (USB-DAC) position when you are charging it, even if you are using it with an Apple device.  When you're finished charging and want to use it, move the switch up to the iAmp position.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,187 of 1,343
Will be waiting on the results...

Connected Verza headphone out to C5 input jack and it works. BUT...doing it this way is double amping the signal. So you get the sound of the C5 influenced by the Verza amp section.

Taken separately, the C5 with iPod Classic and Fiio L9 slightly tighter and deeper bass and very slightly forward mids vs. the Vamp Verza with IPod Classic and V-MODA 30 pin - USB Connector. The Vamp Verza sounds closer to neutral vs. C5, but that could be because the iPod line out is warmer than the Verza DAC.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,188 of 1,343
Connected Verza headphone out to C5 input jack and it works. BUT...doing it this way is double amping the signal. So you get the sound of the C5 influenced by the Verza amp section.

Taken separately, the C5 with iPod Classic and Fiio L9 slightly tighter and deeper bass and very slightly forward mids vs. the Vamp Verza with IPod Classic and V-MODA 30 pin - USB Connector. The Vamp Verza sounds closer to neutral vs. C5, but that could be because the iPod line out is warmer than the Verza DAC.

Thanks for the feedback mate! But will you prefer the sound of the c5 + verza dac or just the verza?

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,189 of 1,343
The Vamp Verza sounds closer to neutral vs. C5, but that could be because the iPod line out is warmer than the Verza DAC.

I hear this a lot and I think it's one reason I like the Verza. None of the low end is lost, but the mids and highs seem to come out more, the vocals aren't quite as buried from the iPhone. It really turns them into as close to perfect (for my tastes) as imaginable.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,190 of 1,343

I hear this a lot and I think it's one reason I like the Verza. None of the low end is lost, but the mids and highs seem to come out more, the vocals aren't quite as buried from the iPhone. It really turns them into as close to perfect (for my tastes) as imaginable.

I agree with you.  I prefer the sound of the Verza over my C5D because it brings the voices a bit closer to me on the M100s.  The slight recession of the voices was my main gripe with the M100 out of the iPod/iPad in general, and the Verza fixes that.  It's a fantastic product tho, I still am not sure it's worth twice as much (or more) than the C5D I own as well.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,191 of 1,343
dbdynsty25 did you ever get the green light on your Verza? How many hours did you charge it?

When the C5D came out I almost got it, but after researching compatability and connections with my Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad and MacBook, I decided on going with MFi and got the Verza.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,192 of 1,343
@dbdynsty25 did you ever get the green light on your Verza? How many hours did you charge it?

When the C5D came out I almost got it, but after researching compatability and connections with my Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad and MacBook, I decided on going with MFi and got the Verza.

Yes.  I have no idea how long it took, but it was a LONG time.  I went to the gym, watched some TV with the wife and by the time I went back to my office, it was green.  So not sure really.  The C5D is perfect for the iOS devices with the Camera Connection Kit, but then you're using two cables (CCK and USB) to connect instead of the MFi cable direct to the Verza...so yeah, I suppose it's more convenient.  :)

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,193 of 1,343
I really can't wait for my Metallo case to come in, haha. I love the Verza so much I just want to carry it with me always. I have yet to need it over 50% volume, and that's awesome to me. I love having overhead. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,195 of 1,343
  Well one thing I learned tonight while using the Verza w/ my iPad Mini...don't charge while playing.  Goodness that just ate through battery.  A nice hour or so and it was dead.  Brutal.

LOL oh man. Yeah, the iPad is gonna yank the charge hard. I never use it as an external battery and frankly I wish they hadn't added that feature.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,196 of 1,343

LOL oh man. Yeah, the iPad is gonna yank the charge hard. I never use it as an external battery and frankly I wish they hadn't added that feature.

Actually the one plus side of that is that I don't have to carry around a Mophie power pack anymore.  I had one of those in case of emergency when I travel, but now as long as I have my Verza...I've got a little bit of power.  So it's got it's advantages.  However, it shouldn't be that easy to set it to "charge" mode either.  Those toggles are much too easy to move.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,197 of 1,343
Can I use any generic ipod cable instead of the provided one? is the provided one special in any way apart from its length?

On the very first listening, it seems like an insecure connection. The provided cable's connectors are stretched and in a weird angle, and touching them has a direct effect on the sound. Would any generic 5$ cable work just as well?

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,199 of 1,343
Thanks, I just got home and am using a generic one and it seems to work just fine.

I really wonder why would V-Moda include that worthless cable, it's such a well-crafted product that deserves a proper cable.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,200 of 1,343
  Thanks, I just got home and am using a generic one and it seems to work just fine.

I really wonder why would V-Moda include that worthless cable, it's such a well-crafted product that deserves a proper cable.

I agree.  The included cable kept on having connection problems and the cable that came with my iPod is too long.  Thankfully Dr. Sheep sold me his Venture Craft cable.  It's a very high quality cable and has never let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back