V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #916 of 1,343
I got that 10ohm info from private communication with the makers (it's ok, approved for public sharing).

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #917 of 1,343
Quote:
I got that 10ohm info from private communication with the makers (it's ok, approved for public sharing).

I was just on inner fidelity and with his review. He reccomends 80 ohm cans and up. So after reading that and remembering that a 32 ohm set of cans could have an impedance rise over 80 ohms this headphone amplifier could work well for M100. However looking at purchasing the Audeze LCD2 which are 60 ohms and wondering if this is the right amplifier for me. The LCD2 are 60 ohms resistance and to me I have overlooked specs before and cost me twice the amount of money as i changed out all my amplifiers to new higher end ones made in italy. A Mosconi absolute beauty but enough of car audio.

I really want to make sure I am not dipping into the headphone amplifier market 2 and 3 times as it gets expensive. The Verza is very convenient.

Is this the right headphone amplifier if you were planning on buying a set of LCD2? and you already own M100? Or would you go a different route with a headphone out impedance of 4 or less. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #918 of 1,343
I don't have the LCD2 but have heard it. I've not tried pairing the two so I can't really comment on the sonics of that combination. The only concern I may have is if the Verza has enough power to drive the LCD2 to its potential. So it's a little more than just output impedance at work here.

The M100 & Verza actually go well together (which is how it was intended by the makers).

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #919 of 1,343
Quote:
I was just on inner fidelity and with his review. He reccomends 80 ohm cans and up. So after reading that and remembering that a 32 ohm set of cans could have an impedance rise over 80 ohms this headphone amplifier could work well for M100. However looking at purchasing the Audeze LCD2 which are 60 ohms and wondering if this is the right amplifier for me. The LCD2 are 60 ohms resistance and to me I have overlooked specs before and cost me twice the amount of money as i changed out all my amplifiers to new higher end ones made in italy. A Mosconi absolute beauty but enough of car audio.

I really want to make sure I am not dipping into the headphone amplifier market 2 and 3 times as it gets expensive. The Verza is very convenient.

Is this the right headphone amplifier if you were planning on buying a set of LCD2? and you already own M100? Or would you go a different route with a headphone out impedance of 4 or less. 

The LCD-2 is 60 ohm yes, but Planar Magnetic phones are notoriously hard to drive. I highly doubt the Verza could drive them effectively. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #920 of 1,343
Quote:
I don't have the LCD2 but have heard it. I've not tried pairing the two so I can't really comment on the sonics of that combination. The only concern I may have is if the Verza has enough power to drive the LCD2 to its potential. So it's a little more than just output impedance at work here.

The M100 & Verza actually go well together (which is how it was intended by the makers).

See the Grados are 32 ohms and so are the M100 i have been debating on grado but want to hear the LCD2 first. I was very impressed withe Grado labs sound. The PS500 was so great. So what i dont get is everywhere you read a 10 ohm output impedance is intended for 80 ohm and up headphones for best matching yet nowadays a big majority of headphones have gone into the 16 to 64 ohm bracket to work with i devices and smartphones. So why build such an extraordinary product with 10 ohm output impedance. Even the Fiio has less than 1 ohm output impedance. If that is accurate according to their website. Im reaching out to someone who has really played with this device because I would like to buy this device. I also want to use it with a tuono cable and iphone 5.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #922 of 1,343
Thanks for letting me know that. I want to make a 1 time investment. I seriously am considering what i would assume would be a power hungry set of headphones.
V-Moda focuses primarily on mobile audiophile. The LCD2, although possibly mobile isn't very practical. I'll PM you on more suitable configs for the LCD2 rather than derail this thread.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #923 of 1,343
V-Moda focuses primarily on mobile audiophile. The LCD2, although possibly mobile isn't very practical. I'll PM you on more suitable configs for the LCD2 rather than derail this thread.
I would appreciate that. I would maybe still buy the Verza for my M100 and for travel but it eould be cool to get an all in one. I guess its like having a car system and a home system you need 2.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #924 of 1,343
Quote:
I would appreciate that. I would maybe still buy the Verza for my M100 and for travel but it eould be cool to get an all in one. I guess its like having a car system and a home system you need 2.

To be honest, I do think you worry about this a little too much.  The VERZA was designed for the M-100, and the 8:1 rule is not necessary a must for tight frequency control.  The M-100 sounded great paired with the VERZA even at 3.2:1.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #926 of 1,343
Anyone else notice any issues with the USB connection on the Verza?  I've had one channel cutting in and out a few times; I could aggravate the intermittent connection by jiggling the USB connection. 

I opened the Verza and checked the connections but could not see any issues, even with my magnifying glasses.  

I re-flowed the joints and put it back together.  Everything sounds right again, the connection is solid, but I am a little suspect of how robust the surface mount USB connection is.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #927 of 1,343
Quote:

I re-flowed the joints and put it back together.

O_o, dude, that's hardcore.

p.s. what size Torx drivers you need for the VERZA, or any other VC for that matter?

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #929 of 1,343
I'm in the UK, so sending it back to the US is a pain in the...

Besides, a little surface mount work doesn't scare me... too much!
eek.gif
  Actually, it's not too bad in there.  The board comes completely clear of the chassis so you can get to everything very easily. 

I'll grab the torx size tonight when I'm home.  FWIW, it's the same size as the wrench provided with the Metallo case. 

Has anyone posted pictures of the internals?  If not, I'm happy to pop it open again and put some pictures up, if there is interest.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #930 of 1,343
Quote:
O_o, dude, that's hardcore.

p.s. what size Torx drivers you need for the VERZA, or any other VC for that matter?

I've not noticed that with the Verza on loan to me. Works fine in USB mode.

Reflow isn't that hardcore, re-balling is :wink:.

BTW, if you (shipsupt) do have soldering issues, probably best to send it back to the makers unless you're happy to DIY and treat as junk if it fails again. However, I've not heard of any manufacturing (soldering) issues with the Verza till now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back