V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 710
@Val, I think the VAmp is a good start for V-Moda to branch out to other aspects of audio. At least to me, it still retains V-Moda's "integration" flavour rather than just "addition" (of another component). With all the headphones and earphones you've produced, there's some sort of pairing and integration theme...e.g. being smartphone focused with the buttons, etc. And now similarly with the VAmp, it's integration with the iPhone 4/4S - rather than just an addition of another component to the chain.

I'd be curious on the future (as such the VAmp being merely a starting platform), thereafter - how to have "integration" yet maintain modularity - something I have mentioned in the past to manufacturer(s).

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 710

Quote:
Well, as an iPhone user, I'm quite intrigued.

Few questions:

1) Will it include any EQ option to play around with the output? (bass boost, mid boost, treble boost, etc...)
2) Being geared toward iPhone means it'll include a LOD of its own, right? Or do I have to purchase a separate LOD cable to go with VAMP?
3) Is the OpAmp rollable like on the CMoy, or is it a fixed OpAmp?
4) Will there be buttons to control music on the iPhone like a remote?
5) Will it support passing remote + mic signal from headphones that include remote + mic?

Those are key points that I would love to see in another amp for iPhone, especially points 4 and 5.

At this price i would think the vamp would be built specifically around a set of components, and not be made for switching opamps. 

Also on a side note, Va mentioned the revolver is due out this year, so that could be a big factor. Also Val does not do things half assed so its either doing its job or its not being produced. No real middle ground.

If it costs that much to make, then it must be because making it cheaper would make it inferior.
My logic anyway

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #35 of 710
Sorry for delays, was travelling for Miami music week and to see my brother off on his tour of duty.  David Kolton, Co-Founder of V-MODA, is a captain of the US Air Force, who flies C-17s.  He definitely is fully loaded with new products, and will gain real life testing with the troops and fellow pilots!  

On the amp, the first production sample will be ready April 20th for me to do some demos!

OPAMP + DAC
It uses a AD8397 OpAmp and AK4353 DAC, which we found had the best sound on our headphones.  I tried so many, it was a very long process.  In fact, it delayed the acoustic development of M-100 and other headphones a bit with so many variables.  I apologize, but I wanted to get a more perfect "match", and tuning one product is hard yet alone two, or three together.  

As a side note, I'll never forget the hotel rooms and factory rooms we did our long "tuning sessions" in, and the terrible room service. 

Next up, battery...

REVISED - was writing tired, added full OPAMP/DAC items

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 710

Quote:
Sorry for delays, was travelling for Miami music week and to see my brother off on his tour of duty.  David Kolton, Co-Founder of V-MODA, is a captain of the US Air Force, who flies C-17s.  He definitely is fully loaded with new products, and will gain real life testing with the troops and fellow pilots!  

On the amp, the first production sample will be ready April 20th for me to do some demos!

DAC
It uses a AD8397 DAC, which we found had the best sound on our headphones.  I tried so many, it was a very long process.  In fact, it delayed the acoustic development of M-100 and other headphones a bit with so many variables.  I apologize, but I wanted to get a more perfect "match", and tuning one product is hard yet alone two, or three together.  

As a side note, I'll never forget the hotel rooms and factory rooms we did our long "tuning sessions" in, and the terrible room service. 

Next up, battery...

You mean OpAmp (operational amplifier), not DAC (digital-to-analogue converter, which 8397 is not).  Will it have a USB DAC?  S/PDIF DAC?  Both?  lol

Quote:
Well, as an iPhone user, I'm quite intrigued.

Few questions:

... 3) Is the OpAmp rollable like on the CMoy, or is it a fixed OpAmp?

Pretty unlikely now if they are using AD8397 (same as E11, Arrow, Mini^3, and others), but who knows.  Other chips by themselves won't have the output power of 8397, as far as I know.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 710
Quote:
You mean OpAmp (operational amplifier), not DAC (digital-to-analogue converter, which 8397 is not). 

Nice pick up. Yep the AD8397 is an OpAmp.

Can I mention what the DAC is?

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #40 of 710
Apr 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 710
A lot of confusion on this topic. Dear CEO can you answer to those simple questions?

1 - Does it bypass the Iphone internal Dac like the CLAS or Fostex Hp-p1?

2 - The price is really around 600 US dollars? 

3 - Can you tell which DAC is inside?

4 - What about Size and Weight?

I want to spend my two cents here. I think the next holy grail of mobile audio is the Dac/Amp. People wants better audio from their iDevices at reasonable price.
A DAC/AMP near the size of an Iphone priced 250 dollars will be a killer.

The CLAS or the Fostex Hp-P1 are both incredible good sounding but they falls in two important things: price and portability. Way too expensive and bulky.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #42 of 710

Quote:
Quote:

Nice pick up. Yep the AD8397 is an OpAmp.

Can I mention what the DAC is?

[size=10.000000pt]AK4353  is DAC, my apologies... no more typing after a glass of VINO![/size]

[size=10.000000pt]here is specs (PDF)[/size]
http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4353/ak4353_f02e.pdf

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #43 of 710
Val, are the M-100's going to be out this month?
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 710

Quote:
Val, are the M-100's going to be out this month?
smile.gif

Unfortunately tooling didn't work out, so delayed a bit... I'll keep you informed, so sorry man we are all waiting!

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #45 of 710
I think what we all want to know is if it's a bypass (ala CLAS) and what the specs are on the DAC section. The output power would be important for those head-fiers feeding hungrier cans like the HD800 (myself not included because I'm too damn poor).

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back